Jefferson decides to opt out

This is a terrible financial decision... I agree with Cobb.

If you had to give $15 mil to Kenyon Martin or Richard Jefferson... who do you give that money too? Judging by RJ's past season, I'll give it to K-Mart... it's incredible considering K-Mart is injury prone... but at least I know when he's on the court he's gonna give tough defense every night. RJ? not so much. He's become one of the most inconsistent players in the L.

He would be lucky to get MLE.

SumtiNSpecial, I agree being happy is more important than money... but not when the money is so significant it clearly outweighs it. RJ has secured how many max contracts in his career? I'm guessing 1 with 3-4 year extension. That's not much, considering superstars can get 2-3 maximum contracts. He's not in a position to say, "screw $15 mil, I will play somewhere I'm happy for $3-4 mil." Well he can do that... it's his life and his money... but it's not financially very smart. People with this mentality go broke very fast because they do not understand money and its management.

Horrible move. It's not like the guys even 10 years into the league, and he just turned 30. I really think last year was an abberation, and that it can only go up from there until he hits a steep physical decline. His value has never been so low as it is now. I don't understand why he wouldn't just play out this last year of his contract, get his money, likely get his value up a bit, and then hit a less-crowded FA market next season.

And it's not like San Antonio is some bottom-feeder team...they will still be in the WC hunt next season.

Maybe he hates playing for the Spurs? Maybe he wants to be the best player on a team?

No team will give him the oppertunity to be a lead guy from either a basketball or financial standpoint, at least not after last season. His best chance of getting some personal value would be to stay with the Spurs next season, play better, and enter a far more diluted FA class next offseason.

No team will give him the oppertunity to be a lead guy from either a basketball or financial standpoint, at least not after last season. His best chance of getting some personal value would be to stay with the Spurs next season, play better, and enter a far more diluted FA class next offseason.

I'm not saying it was a smart decision.

I don't see him earning anywhere near as much money as he would be in San Antonio. Bad decision for him financially but I guess it will be worth it if he goes to a contending team.

A lot of you guys are so quick to say this is a horrible move by RJ because he gave up $15M, but he has a chance to make more money in the future with a longer contract.

RJ opted out because he wants a longer contract and he wants security for his family. What happens if he gets injured next season and has season ending surgery in his contract year? Do you think a team is going to give him a long term contract, if he's coming off a season ending surgery?

He can get a multi year deal starting at $7-9M starting next season and get job security. This will probably be his last big contract in his career. He would be trade bait next season with a $15M expiring contract for a team who is looking to trade one of their players for an expiring contract.

Pierce and Dirk are doing something similar by opting out of their deals for a long term contract.

Edited by Gorilla Dog

Pierce and Dirk are doing something similar by opting out of their deals for a long term contract.

The difference is that Pierce and Dirk are older and for the most part , their value is still very high. RJ is only 30 and his value has never been this low, and he's entering a FA class that is flooded with top talent. I'm sure if he played well next season he would get just as lucrative of a contract on top of the $15M he would be getting this year (which could be the kind of money he'll be making in 2.5-3 years if he signs a longer contract this offseason).