Pierce resigns with Celtics

The Celtics have reached an agreement with captain Paul Pierce to keep him in Boston, according to sources.

The new contract is said to be four years and $61M in length, with only three of the seasons fully guaranteed.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67740/20100702/celtics_pierce_reach_agreement/#ixzz0sXOzYZMA

I can't believe people thought he was going to the Clippers. People need to think a little bit! Opting out of a contract doesn't always mean you're opting out of playing for the team...it often means opting out of a large one year option in order to sign a longer contract. Boston saves money next season and Pierce ends up with a juicy long term deal. Win-win for everybody...except the Clippers.

• Owner

I can't believe people thought he was going to the Clippers. People need to think a little bit! Opting out of a contract doesn't always mean you're opting out of playing for the team...it often means opting out of a large one year option in order to sign a longer contract. Boston saves money next season and Pierce ends up with a juicy long term deal. Win-win for everybody...except the Clippers.

I think that if Doc Rivers would've retired, Pierce wouldn't given it more thought. There was a quote not too long ago, with him stating that he would've liked to play in Los Angeles (where he's from), so it would make sense.

Sure the hell wouldn't be welcomed in Lakerland, though.

Guest STL10

I think that if Doc Rivers would've retired, Pierce wouldn't given it more thought. There was a quote not too long ago, with him stating that he would've liked to play in Los Angeles (where he's from), so it would make sense.

Sure the hell wouldn't be welcomed in Lakerland, though.

If Doc retired and Allen left then Pierce would be a Laker.

I could SERIOUSLY see him signing with LA for the MLE to win championships in his hometown.

• Owner

If Doc retired and Allen left then Pierce would be a Laker.

I could SERIOUSLY see him signing with LA for the MLE to win championships in his hometown.

A Laker? -_-

I know he's a very good player, but ugh...don't know about that. It would cut into Ron's minutes, and to be honest, Artest would actually be more important to us than Pierce, especially after seeing him lock up Durant the way he did, even stopping Pierce for half of the Finals series.

I don't see why Pierce would not consider the Clippers, since they have a wide-open gap at the three. Playing alongside Griffin, Gordon, Kaman and Davis? That team could be pretty tough to handle.

Guest STL10

A Laker? -_-

I know he's a very good player, but ugh...don't know about that. It would cut into Ron's minutes, and to be honest, Artest would actually be more important to us than Pierce, especially after seeing him lock up Durant the way he did, even stopping Pierce for half of the Finals series.

I don't see why Pierce would not consider the Clippers, since they have a wide-open gap at the three. Playing alongside Griffin, Gordon, Kaman and Davis? That team could be pretty tough to handle.

The Lakers would likely trade Odom to take on Pierce's salary.

Then they'd make their lineup this...

PG:Fisher

SG:Bryant

SF:Pierce

PF:Gasol

C:Bynum

6th Man:Artest

• Owner

The Lakers would likely trade Odom to take on Pierce's salary.

Then they'd make their lineup this...

PG:Fisher

SG:Bryant

SF:Pierce

PF:Gasol

C:Bynum

6th Man:Artest

That still means Ron gets less time on the floor. And...Odom is a PF, and the Celtics have two (Garnett and Baby). Pierce can stay in Boston and age with the rest of his crew. I'd rather have a legit starting point guard, or a shooter (like Mike Miller).

Guest STL10

That still means Ron gets less time on the floor. And...Odom is a PF, and the Celtics have two (Garnett and Baby). Pierce can stay in Boston and age with the rest of his crew. I'd rather have a legit starting point guard, or a shooter (like Mike Miller).

IMO the Mike Miller offer was laughable. The Lakers could offer Steve Novak the league minimum, and get the same shooting numbers. They'd be better suited to offer the MLE to Raymond Felton or Steve Blake, and then hope Ebanks works out as a stopper.

• Owner

IMO the Mike Miller offer was laughable. The Lakers could offer Steve Novak the league minimum, and get the same shooting numbers. They'd be better suited to offer the MLE to Raymond Felton or Steve Blake, and then hope Ebanks works out as a stopper.

Novak is nowhere near the player Miller is, dude. Mike Miller shoots, he can defend well, and he can pass the ball. Novak is absolutely worthless, not even worth filling a bench seat, really. He can't even shoot.

Guest STL10

Novak is nowhere near the player Miller is, dude. Mike Miller shoots, he can defend well, and he can pass the ball. Novak is absolutely worthless, not even worth filling a bench seat, really. He can't even shoot.

Have you ever seen Novak play? He is a really good shooter and he's a decent passer. I realize Novak plays no defense, but he's cheap and LAL doesn't need another Sasha Vuj type player. They need a POINT GUARD.

A Laker? -_-

Don't forget that Pierce is a very, very good defensive player in his own right. You'd be crazy to be a team wanting to win a ring and not pick up Pierce for the MLE.

And Pierce bleeds Celtics green, so the chance of him resigning with the Celtics is 98%. If he's going to fill his remaining 2%, he's going to be trying to win rings with a team that should win a title, not an up-and-coming project like the Clippers.

Pierce was a huge Lakers fan growing up. He talks about it all the time. If he ever left the Celtics, I'd be shocked if he played anywhere but the Lakers.

Playing for the Clippers when you've come from Boston and were a Lakers fan growing up is like bringing your sister to the prom.

Have you ever seen Novak play? He is a really good shooter and he's a decent passer. I realize Novak plays no defense, but he's cheap and LAL doesn't need another Sasha Vuj type player. They need a POINT GUARD.

Miller can actually dribble. And he knows how to move without the ball which is good for the triangle. I doubt Novak would pick up on the ins and outs of the Lakers offense in his first season. Plus, Miller's a much better defender, and can create some offense off the dribble. I don't prefer Miller for the Lakers over a point guard, but Novak wouldn't get any important minutes for the Lakers. He wouldn't beat out Walton for the fourth wing.

Glen Davis plays C not PF.

• Owner

Novak was a good shooter in college. I'm 100% sure he has already shot below 40% in two of his 4-5 NBA seasons (can't remember when he was drafted), and I know for a fact he was pathetic his rookie season.

And you say we need a point guard...so why Novak? He's almost seven feet tall. He wouldn't even get playing time over Josh Powell, let alone Lamar Odom.