Salmons Signs Five-Year Deal With Bucks

The Milwaukee Bucks and John Salmons have reportedly come to terms on a deal worth $39 million over the course of five years.

After opting out of his player option worth $5.8 million last week, GM John Hammond made it very clear that he would do whatever was necessary to ink a long-term deal with Salmons. Salmons had reportedly turned down a four-year, $27 million deal from the Bucks a few weeks ago.

This is a move that most Bucks fans wanted the front office to make. Salmons came to the Bucks last February in a deadline deal with the Chicago Bulls. In his time here he managed to average 19.9 points. His stellar play helped propel the Bucks to a 22-8 record in that time.

With this move it appears as if all the major moves have been made. As of now a starting lineup of Jennings, Salmons, Maggette, Gooden, and Bogut seems to be the most likely. However it's very likely that Maggette may come off the bench as a sixth man.

So far the Bucks have been very active early on in the free agency period. Just yesterday they inked Drew Gooden to a five-year deal worth $32 million.

It appears as if Hammond isn't done dealing yet. We currently have an overflow of forwards on the current roster. Don't be surprised if one of Ilyasova, Delfino, or Mbah a Moute are moved before the start of the season.

The recent moves suggest that owner Herb Kohl realizes there is a window for this team with Bogut and Jennings under contract. It's do or die time Bucks fans. We're all-in.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/414797-salmons-signs-five-year-deal-with-bucks

The Bucks are about to enter salary cap hell.

Not for a short while though.

Looking at their contracts for the year after next, the Bucks will have 46 million committed to nine players, plus whatever rookie scale contract Larry Sanders gets (2-4 million or something).

Throw in next year's first round pick and the Bucks will probably have 12 players under contract, and be right at the cap.

They're in good shape because Carlos Delfino has a cheap team option, while Jennings is still in a rookie contract. Redd's gigantic contract will come off the cap (or the Bucks could trade him for a talented, expensive contract next year because they won't be able to sign an expensive free agent next offseason.

Also, the only player they'll have to extend is Mbah a Moute who won't be too expensive to resign.

If the CBA expires and they do away with the mid-level exception like the league has talked about doing, then the Bucks will be stuck hoping that those 12 players will be good enough to compete two years from now.

Things will start to get bad in 2012-2013 because right now, Gooden, Maggette, Bogut, Jennings, and Salmons will cost the Bucks 40 million, plus Sanders, plus their next two draft picks. If the mid-level exception is gone and the cap goes to about 60 million, they'll need to have five more players on their roster for about 10 million dollars combined.

Plus, Maggette, Salmons, and Gooden will be older, in their early-to-mid 30's.

Milwaukee's gambling that they can win in the short term with the contracts they're giving out.

Bucks ruined their franchise this off-season, this is a team that doesn't even have 2nd round upside in the East right now and they are giving out money like it is candy.

I disagree. Sure we're giving away money but we've now solidified our starting lineup. Last season we took the Hawks to game 7 without Bogut. We have lost no one this off season, just added new pieces. We can't really be worse, just better. It's going to be an exciting season once we forget we signed Gooden for five years. ^_^

I disagree. Sure we're giving away money but we've now solidified our starting lineup. Last season we took the Hawks to game 7 without Bogut. We have lost no one this off season, just added new pieces. We can't really be worse, just better. It's going to be an exciting season once we forget we signed Gooden for five years. ^_^

And this was the same Hawks team that got swept by the Magic, easily. :lol:

I think the Bucks improved for the next two seasons (not enough to get past the second round, though) but will be [expletive]ed after that.

I am not saying the Bucks didn't get better, but they got better at the expense of their entire future, rather than adding salary perhaps they should have taken a step back, and maybe thought about building long term around Bogut and Jennings? Salmons isn't getting any younger and neither is Maggs, not to mention both are second rate players.

They are a 2nd round team at best and it cost them over 100 million dollars in added salary pretty much.

The Bucks "ruined" their franchise? Are you fricken kidding me? In 2-3 years, the Bucks could always deal off Gooden and Salmons. Honestly, the contracts they handed out aren't THAT bad. Seriously, Amair Johnson got more then Gooden did, Joe Johnson, and Rudy Gay both got the max. The Bucks can handle this, and honestly, they got a LOT better this upcoming season compared to what they did last season.

I totally understand why Hammond is doing what he is doing. When he was the GM of the Bucks, he had to get rid of contracts like Charlie Bell's, Dan Gadzurich's etc. He did that. He was going to build for 2011. But you know what changed that? Brandon Jenning's emergence, and how the Bucks played with Salmons in the 2nd half. They realized that they had a great team right now, and they added talent without getting rid of anyone with importance.

They added CDR, Maggette, Gooden, and re-signed Salmons. They lost Charlie Bell and Danny G.

And looking at the East, besides the Magic and maybe the Hawks, who are really going to be good this year? Let's say the Bulls got Lebron and Wade, of course they will be probably the team to beat. Then you would have the Cavs who would be siginficantly worse (if they lost Lebron) Miami is completley awful (espically if they lose out on Wade)

The Bucks built a GREAT team right now, they will worry about what happens in 2-3 years then.

Also, don't forget that Redd's 18 million contract will be up after this season, and he's an expiring contract which can be used as a trade piece. Don't forget also that they can package Redd with Ersan and get another piece to the puzzle.

I think Hammond is doing a GREAT job this off-season.

I agree, if you guys think these salaries are going to "ruin" the Bucks, check the other signings. Amir Johnson's, Joe Johnson's, and Rudy Gays signings were all way to much for the player of their caliber/age combined. Gay has prove some things, but he has also proven he isn't good enough for a max. Johnson is getting up there in age and will likely be [expletive]ting out by the time his contracts up, and defensively Amir blows. Just because he has the "heart" and hustle doesn't mean he's worth 32 million dollars.

Great signing by the Bucks here, I expect them to make it a bit far next year, giving the Bucks fans a little more excitement after Green Bay takes home the Super Bowl.

The Bucks "ruined" their franchise? Are you fricken kidding me? In 2-3 years, the Bucks could always deal off Gooden and Salmons. Honestly, the contracts they handed out aren't THAT bad. Seriously, Amair Johnson got more then Gooden did, Joe Johnson, and Rudy Gay both got the max. The Bucks can handle this, and honestly, they got a LOT better this upcoming season compared to what they did last season.

I totally understand why Hammond is doing what he is doing. When he was the GM of the Bucks, he had to get rid of contracts like Charlie Bell's, Dan Gadzurich's etc. He did that. He was going to build for 2011. But you know what changed that? Brandon Jenning's emergence, and how the Bucks played with Salmons in the 2nd half. They realized that they had a great team right now, and they added talent without getting rid of anyone with importance.

They added CDR, Maggette, Gooden, and re-signed Salmons. They lost Charlie Bell and Danny G.

And looking at the East, besides the Magic and maybe the Hawks, who are really going to be good this year? Let's say the Bulls got Lebron and Wade, of course they will be probably the team to beat. Then you would have the Cavs who would be siginficantly worse (if they lost Lebron) Miami is completley awful (espically if they lose out on Wade)

The Bucks built a GREAT team right now, they will worry about what happens in 2-3 years then.

Also, don't forget that Redd's 18 million contract will be up after this season, and he's an expiring contract which can be used as a trade piece. Don't forget also that they can package Redd with Ersan and get another piece to the puzzle.

I think Hammond is doing a GREAT job this off-season.

Not to temper your enthusiasm, but lets hold off using the word great for teams that will contend for championships.

For starters I find it funny that you reference other 'bad' contracts being given out considering the Bucks basically set the bar with that terrible Gooden signings.

But secondly, he made financially crippling (maybe an exaggeration but still bad) moves just to make this team a bit better, they definitely overachieved last year and Maggette isn't going to make them any better despite his emptily efficient 20 points a game. Unless Jennings becomes an efficient starting all-star caliber PG overnight the Bucks are doomed to mediocrity, the only difference this year is that they added over 100 million in salary to at best be a 5th seed in the East.

For starters I find it funny that you reference other 'bad' contracts being given out considering the Bucks basically set the bar with that terrible Gooden signings.

But secondly, he made financially crippling (maybe an exaggeration but still bad) moves just to make this team a bit better, they definitely overachieved last year and Maggette isn't going to make them any better despite his emptily efficient 20 points a game. Unless Jennings becomes an efficient starting all-star caliber PG overnight the Bucks are doomed to mediocrity, the only difference this year is that they added over 100 million in salary to at best be a 5th seed in the East.

I don't think that the Gooden's deal set the bar for the other signings. Gooden can at least average 14/8 if he starts and if he plays 30 minutes a game. Hollinger had a good article that was made yesterday. Here's what he said that I totally agree with.

That's the bad news. The good news is that Gooden has a decent chance of living up to his contract anyway. You don't think so? Let's run through the facts:

He was good last season. Let's start with the most salient point: Gooden is a much better player than people realize, and a better one than most of the guys who signed for the midlevel. Sure he's goofy and forgetful, but he's also really consistent on a game-to-game and year-to-year basis. His PER last season was 16.95, and that was no fluke -- he's been above 16 five of the past six seasons.

He has two definable skills. Gooden is elite among power forwards in two areas: Rebounding and midrange shooting. Last season he was tied for seventh among power forwards in rebound rate, and a year earlier he was 10th. From outside, he hit 45.2 percent of his long twos last year, the third time in four years he's been over 45 percent.

He was easily the best big man available at this price: Sorry Amir Johnson. In all seriousness, who were the other options for Milwaukee? They wanted a big man who could start at the four, back up Andrew Bogut if he had to, space the floor and rebound. Who else was available for less than $50 million that could do that? Udonis Haslem? Brad Miller? The list thins out pretty fast once you get through the Amare/Boozer/Lee crowd, which is why Milwaukee jumped early.

Do you really think that the Bucks could have gotten anyone as good as Gooden for less then what they paid for him? The Bucks were looking for a starting PF, and Drew Gooden can at least be that person.

Brandon Jennings should continue to get better, do I think he will be an all-star PG? Obviously not, but the potential is there.

The main weakness that the Bucks had: They needed players to get to the free throw line, they needed better rebounding from the 4 spot. Those were the two big weakness that they had, and they adressed that. Maggette gets to the FT line at a very nice clip, and Gooden is a very good rebounder.

These moves also allowed them the opportunity to pull the trigger, if someone like Danny Granger becomes available. A Redd/Ersan/Delfino package could be enough to land Granger at SF. This would allow Maggette to go to the bench, and allows more depth to the Bucks.

Hammond isn't done either, they need to get rid of some of the depth, and they need a backup PG. But to call this a "franchise ruiner" is absoutley wrong.

Travesy... Don't be mad because you're losing your boy Bosh. Sure maybe the Bucks overachieved last season... I mean we were expected to be last in the East, right? However, even if part of last season was a fluke, we were still able to win games due to proper coaching with the pieces that we had. We grabbed the 6th seed after a slow start to the season as well.

I don't think it's crazy to think we'll be a top 3 team in the East now that we have Salmons for the entire year. Also, the players such as Maggette, Gooden, and CDR will just be added bonuses as we really gave up nothing (in terms of players) to attain them. They are all extra pieces to the puzzle added on to everything from last year.

If it's the salaries that have you bashing the skill level of the team at least wait three years, when it will actually matter.

Travesy... Don't be mad because you're losing your boy Bosh. Sure maybe the Bucks overachieved last season... I mean we were expected to be last in the East, right? However, even if part of last season was a fluke, we were still able to win games due to proper coaching with the pieces that we had. We grabbed the 6th seed after a slow start to the season as well.

I don't think it's crazy to think we'll be a top 3 team in the East now that we have Salmons for the entire year. Also, the players such as Maggette, Gooden, and CDR will just be added bonuses as we really gave up nothing (in terms of players) to attain them. They are all extra pieces to the puzzle added on to everything from last year.

If it's the salaries that have you bashing the skill level of the team at least wait three years, when it will actually matter.

Yes, I am mad the Bucks are making bad transactions because Bosh is leaving Toronto.

Maggette, Salmons, Bogut, Redd.... all of these guys, have they ever been core players on a successful team? No, I don't see what makes you think this will be any different. The reason I feel so strongly about this is because these are the type of sort sighted moves the Raptors have previously made and are on the road to seemingly continue to make this coming free agency. He is financially restricting this franchise as the cost of players who aren't going to make them much better, if at all.

Yes, I am mad the Bucks are making bad transactions because Bosh is leaving Toronto.

Maggette, Salmons, Bogut, Redd.... all of these guys, have they ever been core players on a successful team? No, I don't see what makes you think this will be any different. The reason I feel so strongly about this is because these are the type of sort sighted moves the Raptors have previously made and are on the road to seemingly continue to make this coming free agency. He is financially restricting this franchise as the cost of players who aren't going to make them much better, if at all.

Redd isn't really a part of this team anymore. He's the T-Mac of the upcoming season. If no one bites on a trade at the deadline we let him expire. Simple as that.

Bogut was the core player of what I thought was a successful team last year. He's still a young player and these moves will only make him better. He desperately needed front court help and now he got that in Gooden and first-round pick Sanders.

I'm agreeing that the length of these deals wasn't ideal at all. Hammond had previously said he wanted to strike a three-year deal with Salmons and was iffy on a fourth year. I guess the Gooden deal changed all that (which I don't understand because I can't imagine there was a huge demand for Gooden). However, the moves will still make us a better team. We weren't going to be able to sign a big name free agent next year anyway with all the cap space as they wouldn't have wanted to come to Milwaukee. So these moves will really only be a financial negative four-five years from now, a time in which we can trade them if necessary.

That's a very reasonable contract for Salmons, especially considering all the horrible bloated contracts unworthy players have been receiving this offseason. I know it puts a strain on their future salary, but the next 2-3 years are likely going to be the best chance the Bucks have at making a big splash in the EC in a long time. Might as well seize the oppertunity, which they are doing this offseason.

JJ is yet to agree to that contract, and rudy is only 23? maybe 24 years old. i dont think its a bad signing at all and no doubt another team would of offered him the max. Memphis are keeping their core players together

and i wouldn't throw the word great around so freely

i like the salmons singing but maggette is a very questionable trade for the bucks imo.

JJ is yet to agree to that contract, and rudy is only 23? maybe 24 years old. i dont think its a bad signing at all and no doubt another team would of offered him the max. Memphis are keeping their core players together

and i wouldn't throw the word great around so freely

i like the salmons singing but maggette is a very questionable trade for the bucks imo.

I actually think the Maggette trade was great for this team. We actually saved money this year by doing it! Not only that, but we shipped away two players who didn't contribute to the team for a player who is able to score and get to the line - something we failed to do many times last season. No matter how you look at it, Maggette is an upgrade, even if he only averages 5 ppg.