Stoudemire agrees to five-year deal with Knicks

The New York Knicks finally got a return on their two years of self-induced misery on Monday, finishing up the final touches on a five-year contract for Phoenix Suns free agent forward Amar'e Stoudemire that is expected to be worth around $100 million. A source indicates a formal announcement from Stoudemire should be forthcoming within the hour at Madison Square Garden.

Stoudemire and the Knicks quickly found each other last week, each in need of a soft landing place. The 27-year-old Stoudemire was looking for a team that still believed he could be a dominant player in the next few years, despite concerns about his knees and his eyes following serious injuries to each. And the Knicks, who'd sold their fans for the last two years that they'd be a major player in free agency this summer, able to lure the likes of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, were desperate for a splashy acquisition that would give fans hope and add to their depleted roster.

Stoudemire chafed at constant trade rumors involving him the last two years, but after helping lead Phoenix to the Western Conference finals, he still negotiated with the Suns when the free agent negotiating period began last week. But after he and the Suns could not reach agreement on a new deal -- Phoenix was unwilling to give him five guaranteed years on a new contract, preferrring team options in the last two years of a deal -- the Suns quickly moved on, agreeing to terms with free agent forward Hakim Warrick on a four-year, $18 million deal and agreeing on a new contract with their own free agent forward, Channing Frye, for five years and $30 million.

NBA.com

I'm a bit surprised no one has posted this. :o

Knicks are now in a good spot to land a D-Wade or LeBron since they now can tell those two you don't need to hesitate now since we a got a second star you can win with. Bosh now is not a necessary since the Knicks now have Amar'e to pair up with LeBron or D-Wade.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d36/Fish7718/amare.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d36/Fish7718/amare2.jpg

Alan Hahn alanhahn

Amar'e puts on Knicks hat and says "Yeah, the Knicks are back!"

FisolaNYDN

Amar'e says he'll will reach out to LeBron

:glasses: , it's a start

Terrible how he leaves the Suns just like that. Did he even let them give him a pitch?

I know LBJ won't just jump ship like that.

I feel sad for Suns fans.

:lol: what are you talking about, they said him and the suns talked already and he has been talking about leaving the Suns for a while now, no one should be surprised.

Edited by Fish7718

Let's go!

Amare's dunks will change the momentum of a game, the garden will be nuts all season.

http://i47.tinypic.com/jtmdyf.jpg

Yep, plus you might be getting Tony Parker and Melo. The Knicks potentially have a huge turnaround awaiting them within the next 2 seasons.

lol CF sounds so scorned... If he doesn't want to go to a team lacking either of those, he's not signing with Cleveland either. -_-

As I promised, it's [expletive]ing party central at my place... Fish, you comin' down? I'll buy the brews. Anyone else in the tri-state is welcomed to join.

LBJ isn't going to a team with no point guard and no true center. Along with a team that has no depth.

I forgot you talk to LeBron everyday and know exactly what he's thinking, thanks for telling us.