Knicks sign IFA Timofey Mozgov?

7'1" C out of Russia. 23 years old, supposedly has tremendous upside. I personally know nothing of him, but this tickles me as a much better signing than Petro. We shall see! Donny Walsh making moves.

@DraftExpress: Russian center Timofey Mozgov will sign a three year, 9.7 million dollar contract with the New York Knicks. Knicks will pay Khimki 500k USD.

@DraftExpress: Mozgov has been rated DraftExpress' #1 International Free Agent prospect for the past two years. Big, strong athletic center w/nice upside.

@DraftExpress: Mozgov can play guys. He's a big body and super athletic guy who rebounds, block shots and finishes really well around the rim.

The athletic 7-1 center had an outstanding campaign under David Blatt with the Russian national team in the European Championships in Poland this summer, averaging 11 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.3 blocks in 23 minutes per game, helping his team far exceed expectations despite missing most of their big name players. He seems to be making big strides in his game year after year and is clearly not a finished product at this point. With his outstanding physical attributes and especially the way he runs the floor, it not out of the question that he could be a much better fit for the more up and down style of play that is found in the NBA than he is for Europe.

I saw Khimki about 14 times in 2008-09. So while I'm not trying to brag, trust me when I implore to you that Mozgov is an NBA player.

He definitly has potential. He seems stronger than his muscles make him appear, but more importantly its obvious he has a very high sense of offensive IQ, as well as hustle and rebounding skill.

I wouldn't go as far as saying very high IQ, I see what you're saying but I mean unless you've seen more than those 2 clips, idk what to grade him on. I never paid attention in the 08 Olympics, and 18 points can come many ways. He uses picks for alley oops a lot from what I've seen, I just don't know that someone that's not very athletic can come in and do that with as much ease as he did against who, Croatia? I don't doubt he's strong, and he doesn't seem to be as bad of an athlete as Yao or somebody, but he's also much less skilled I'm assuming. That's not to say he can't become something valuable, I just have no idea what to think of him yet.

Two things put me at ease so far regarding this kid: He was the top ranked IFA player two years running at draftexpress, and according to Berman, nobody thought his team would agree to such a buyout, so they've been very hush hush about the deal so that another team with more cap space didn't swoop in and grab him at a higher offer.

Signing him to a 3 year deal is pretty risky, that 3M is something the Knicks could wind up dumping next year so they can make a run at another big name. They should have signed him to a 1 year deal, of course they risk losing him at season's end but I doubt he will have a huge year that will command him major money next year.

• 4 weeks later...