2010 New York Giants

• 1 month later...

Some interesting moves during today's cutdown.

Both undrafted rookie WR's Duke Calhoun and Victor Cruz make the final 53, while veteran WR Derek Hagan is released. Hagan has always been a clutch special teams performer, but Coughlin said that he's lost a step in that department this year and that Calhoun is capable of similar production on younger legs. I dig it. Cruz was a no-brainer, though it started to feel less and less so as the weird cuts were coming throughout the day. In my opinion, he'll take over the #4 WR spot while Barden is still trying to completely heal and learn the offense and his assignments, which is a great thing. He is what we wanted Sinorice Moss to be when we drafted him, and he's a tireless worker. Have to absolutely love that in a kid.

Cut DT Jay Alford, 2007 3rd round pick from Penn State. He had high upside, and delivered the memorable sack on Brady in the Super Bowl.. but had a knee injury that caused him to miss all of 2009 and he obviously didn't look the same to coaches this offseason. Unfortunate, I liked the kid. Look for him to get a look from St. Louis and Spags.

Cut QB Rhett Bomar, 2009 5th round pick from Sam Houston State (Oklahoma transfer). He, again, had high upside. Looked like he really grew and matured over last preseason, but again it was not enough to make the 53 man roster. They'll look for him to clear waivers and stash him on the practice squad, but I doubt he makes it through.

Cut HB Andre Brown, 2009 4th round pick from NC State. This was the one that shocked me the most. He tore his achilles at camp in his rookie year, and missed all of 2009. I thought he ran really well this preseason, though. They'll again look for him to clear waivers and try to stash him on the practice squad, but I doubt he makes it through either. He had a turf toe injury this week, but not long term by any means. Ran for 95 yards on 21 carries, for a 4.5 YPC... but he did lose a fumble. I don't know, definitely saw them cutting D.J. Ware over Brown. I guess Ware really impressed in the week 4 preseason game carrying the load against the Patriots.

We kept 8 linebackers, mostly due to special teams work (Wilkinson is great there) and the fact that... well... I'm not sure they're entirely sold on a linebacking rotation for the upcoming season. It's going to be a work in progress and hopefully things fall into play sooner rather than later.

In other recent moves, they gave up a 5th round pick in 2011 and a conditional pick in 2012 to Minnesota in order to acquire Sage Rosenfels and Darius Reynaud. I like this move a lot. Rosenfels gives them a competent backup QB in case Eli goes down for any length of time, and they needed a veteran presence now that Sorgi is headed to IR. Reynaud also gives them a viable KR option, which was a glaring need after Hixon went down for the season in early training camp and Tim Brown proved extremely ineffective.

This whole Jacobs/Bradshaw fiasco... a non-issue, in my book. Jacobs was hurt last year and tried to play through it for 16 games, and it's left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. We all know what he's capable of when healthy, and he'll be out showing it off in week 1 against Carolina. A few lowered shoulders and big, pivotal conversions later, and it'll be business as usual, with Bradshaw as the change of pace instead of vice versa.

Still very interested to see the roles of a certain few players on the team, or even who starts at linebacker for the G-Men (Goff in the middle with Bulluck outside? Bulluck in the middle with Sintim outside? Dillard? Bueller?)... but overall I cannot wait for this football season to start. I think the Giants defense will definitely open some eyes this year, ala 2007. The front 7 (specifically the front 4) will be causing mayhem for offenses this year, with a rotation of Tuck, Umenyiora, Kiwanuka, JPP, and Tollefson at end and a rotation of Cofield, Canty, Robbins, and Linval Joseph on the inside (with even one or two ends in there on passing downs). Going to be a fun year! Don't sleep on Big Blue.

• Like 1

Bomar made it through to our practice squad, that gets a :)

Brown was claimed by Denver, that gets a :(

Glad to see Brown getting a chance in the league, though. Hopefully makes the best of it, reminded me a ton of a Derrick Ward type player.

Practice squad (so far): TE Jake Ballard, S Sha'reff Rashad, QB Rhett Bomar, TE Bear Pascoe, CB Seth Williams, DT Nate Collins, OL Jim Cordle. I dig it. 8th spot I'll assume was kept for Brown, going to be interesting to see who gets it.

Hearing the 8th practice squad member is HB Shawnbrey McNeal, undrafted rookie who spent camp with the Chargers after declaring early from Southern Methodist. Upside as a 3rd down back. Not a terrible option after missing out on Andre Brown.

Sidenote, whoever decides to give Gartrell Johnson a shot will be pleasantly surprised. I loved every carry this kid had for us last year, always ran hard and was a little bowling ball. Always seemed to give his all and produce, hopefully someone picks him up.

McNeal is a great little scat back, perfect for third downs and checkdown options. Tough little runner who doesn't give up after contact.

The thing that worries me about Gartrell is that he's been cut twice now. That's a little concerning, but I think he can find work as a thumper on third downs as well.

Hearing the 8th practice squad member is HB Shawnbrey McNeal, undrafted rookie who spent camp with the Chargers after declaring early from Southern Methodist. Upside as a 3rd down back. Not a terrible option after missing out on Andre Brown.

This was incorrect. Blame Vacchiano or whoever his source was, couple of jerks ^_^

It's going to be CB Brian Jackson, undrafted CB from Oklahoma who spent camp with the Jets and was cut when Revis made his triumphant return.

Phillips is a beast. I think he can be a terrific player in the league, depending on future injuries of course.

I don't think the Giants have upgraded their defense enough, specifically LB and DB to win the NFC East. I'd be shocked if they won the NFC East. Wild Card? I expect. NFC East? Doubtful.

I don't think the Giants have upgraded their defense enough, specifically LB and DB to win the NFC East. I'd be shocked if they won the NFC East. Wild Card? I expect. NFC East? Doubtful.

I think Goff and Bulluck with a healthy Boley is worlds better than Pierce and Danny Clark with an injured Pierce. We will see though soon enough.

I have to question, though... What else needed to be upgraded in the defensive backfield? We have one of the league best CB trios (when healthy) and added Antrel Rolle to a now-healthy Kenny Phillips to make a formidable safety duo... Not sure what else could have been done there. Deon Grant might be the best 3rd safety in football (probably a stretch, making this comment without looking around the league).

Third best safety, or strong safety?

lol no best 3rd safety... like best backup. Tons of experience, looked good in the preseason, been a nice player throughout his career. Like I said, probably an overstatement. But I meant best 3rd (backup) safety, not 3rd best safety.

Happy with the week 1 results.

We had our problems with drops, poor throws, and offensive line woes... But the drops and poor throws I believe will improve with more practice and chemistry and as the rain certainly didn't help. The offensive line was a bit of a porous being, but I contribute some of it to O'Hara being out all summer, Seubert shuffling around to different positions, McKenzie being out, Diehl playing guard, etc etc etc. I still think Shawn Andrews is the better choice at LG over Rich Seubert, but we'll see moving foward. Andrews got in on the red zone possession where Bradshaw scored, and he looked good.

Phillips was tremendous in his return, made a shoestring tackle to save a touchdown in the first half and picked a ball off in the red zone in the fourth quarter. Deon Grant was great as a 3rd safety in nickle packages, his INT was a very nice one, and his play to keep Steve Smith in bounds towards the end of the first half was a great veteran move. The D-Line brought the heat, the pass rush in the 2nd half was great after the running game threat was neutralized. I loved the linebacker play, I loved the secondary play. Loved it. Thanks to [expletive] special teams and offensive play at times, the average starting field position for the Panthers was their 40... Dodge was awful, the kick coverage was awful... It was all-around awful. Yet the defense stood strong and held them to field goals. They scored one TD and it was on field position at the 50 in a no huddle offense... Could have been much worse.

Turnovers need to be severely cut down and special teams need to improve (hopefully Blackburn is alright and Calhoun finds his way onto the field this upcoming week). The offensive line can play better. But my outlook is optimistic.

Will Beatty is having surgery on his fractured foot and Kevin Boss is out with a concussion (apparently hitting a defenseless receiver didn't apply yesterday... SMH). [expletive]. Look for Bear Pascoe to come off the practice squad for the game next week.

The Giants have this division on lock.

As much as it may surprise you, I used to like the Giants as a team until they beat the Patriots. I hope they do well this year, but I hope they don't reach the Super Bowl this year against the Patriots.

Why? Don't you want pay back? lol

• 2 weeks later...

Coughlin must go. He's lost this team. So many players publically trash talk him, Jacobs obviously hates him and looks like absolute [expletive]. The offensive line needs to get younger...it's awful right now.

A lot of problems with this team. They'll be the 8-8 team that I predicted.

Edited by JYD

Kiwanuka out indefinitely with a bulging cervical disc in his neck. [expletive]. Same thing that happened to Pierce last year, and we all know where he is now. Kiwi was leading the team with 4 sacks.

Osi is still nursing a swollen knee, seems to be the story every week.

Bulluck is out this week. O'Hara isn't getting better.

Not looking good.