Rockets drawing interest for Jeffries

Dash

Jared Jeffries is drawing the interest of several teams seeking to acquire him from Houston, a source told Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports. This final season of Jeffries' contract pays him $6.9 million.

The Knicks are offering the expiring contract of Eddy Curry plus other assets the team has stockpiled since missing out on LeBron James.

There is speculation that New York will make a push to trade for Carmelo Anthony or Chris Paul before the season begins. The Nuggets and Hornets maintain that they are not interested in trading their respective superstars.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68541/20100805/teams_pursue_jeffries_knicks_offering_curry_plus_assets/#ixzz0vm0t77Gf

Seriously? The Knicks gave up Jordan Hill and 2 possible lottery picks to get rid of him for half a season, and now they're willing to give up assets again to get him back? I know that the value we would receive in a deal wouldn't compare to the deadline deal but still...

I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of him. There has been talk of the Rockets using the expiring contracts of Jeffries, Battier and other assets (youngins and picks) at the deadline much like we did last season with T-Mac.

I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of him. There has been talk of the Rockets using the expiring contracts of Jeffries, Battier and other assets (youngins and picks) at the deadline much like we did last season with T-Mac.

Yeah but i would be open to getting talent right now so the team chemistry does not get played with during the season.

Yeah but i would be open to getting talent right now so the team chemistry does not get played with during the season.

Yeah I wouldn't be opposed to trading him now if we can get something decent back. We can easily offer the same package at the deadline by replacing Jeffries with Ariza if need be.

Trade away for then try and get back? Sounds like the Knicks.

He's now a valuable expiring, whereas for this offseason he was dead weight. The trade would only work with Curry involved, so it makes sense to swap a fat [expletive] expiring who will provide nothing to the team for a defensive expiring who will at least play hard.

Curry's contract is an expiring as well though, so that wouldn't really have any sort of impact on a potential deadline deal where the Rockets will swap their expirings for something. In fact, it could be more valuable with Curry because he is a larger expiring than Jefferson is.

Don't see how this wouldn't make sense for the Rockets though because it's not like Jeffries will play any sort of real role for this team with Ariza, Martin, Battier, Scola, Patterson etc... getting the majority of the minutes at the positions where he would potentially play. I would imagine that he would just sit on the bench, so you might as well just get the larger expiring to do the same thing.

Then again, there is the luxury tax to think of and the fact that a team may value Jeffries' potential worth as a player and a contract more than just Curry's contract.