Philadelphia Flyers 2010-2011

Phightins

Wayne Simmonds deal finally done. There is about $1.5 million of cap space remaining. Slightly more once Ian Laperriere is placed on LTIR. They could use one more forward, I guess, but barring a trade the roster appears to be set.

Edited my lineup projections, btw.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The early reaction I am seeing from a lot of people is disappointment that the Flyers are paying JvR this much money after only three years, before he has a "breakout season", and before he is even an RFA. Personally, I don't give a shit. He and Giroux are the franchise now...please pay them as such. This is a good start.

I think it is a bit much.

Yeah, he had an impressive run in the playoffs scoring 7 goals in 11 games, is still young and has quite a bit of potential (big power forwards always take longer to develop as well), but it is a fairly lucrative deal for a player who has played like a borderline top 6 winger in his two full NBA seasons.

On the other hand, if he does improve on his play from this past year's playoffs and has his breakout season, this deal could prove to be a bit of a bargin considering I do believe that he has 30 goal/60-65 point potential and getting that kind of production from a big forward like JVR is definitely worth a $4.3M cap hit (or whatever it is).

I wouldn't call it a bad deal by any means, but I do think he is a bit overpaid as of now. The Flyers just have to hope that he can build upon his strong postseason because they are clearly paying him for what they believe he can become and not what he currently is worth.

I think it is a bit much.

Yeah, he had an impressive run in the playoffs scoring 7 goals in 11 games, is still young and has quite a bit of potential (big power forwards always take longer to develop as well), but it is a fairly lucrative deal for a player who has played like a borderline top 6 winger in his two full NBA seasons.

On the other hand, if he does improve on his play from this past year's playoffs and has his breakout season, this deal could prove to be a bit of a bargin considering I do believe that he has 30 goal/60-65 point potential and getting that kind of production from a big forward like JVR is definitely worth a $4.3M cap hit (or whatever it is).

I wouldn't call it a bad deal by any means, but I do think he is a bit overpaid as of now. The Flyers just have to hope that he can build upon his strong postseason because they are clearly paying him for what they believe he can become and not what he currently is worth.

You are right in that there are a lot of question marks involved. On the surface, a $4.25 million cap hit for 6 years seems absurd for a "top 6 forward" coming off a career high 40 points...

But yeah, they are definitely banking on that postseason performance getting stretched out to 82 games, a-la Giroux carrying the 2010 postseason over to last season. This contract could be either of two extremes: if JvR becomes anything close to the player he is "expected" to be, this contract is a bargain for the Flyers. If not, then this contract completely sucks. We will wait and see.

I do see where the Flyers are coming from though. They are overpaying him up front in exchange for getting 2 years of his free agency back. I guess they view that as worthwhile.