Philadelphia Flyers 2010-2011

Phightins

• 2 weeks later...

Word is that the Flyers may be interested in bringing back Ray Emery. Darren Dreger reports that the Flyers, Ducks, and a "mystery team" all have interest.

Believe it or not, I'd welcome him back with open arms on a 2-way contract. I am just not sure where he'd fit. Sergei Bobrovsky and Brian Boucher in the NHL, Michael Leighton and Johan Backlund in the AHL, and Nic Riopel and Brian Stewart in the ECHL. No matter where Razor goes, he will probably start in the AHL to prove he is healthy and ready to play again.

I am wondering if the Flyers will offer him a 2-way deal for this year with a guaranteed NHL spot for next year. Boucher will be a free agent and there is no other clear backup in house. A Bobrovsky/Emery combo for next year (provided Emery is healthy and strong) would be solid. I know he has talked about how much he enjoyed his time here, but I just figured there was no chance it happens. But I guess they are legitimately looking into it.

Got lucky tonight. Nashville had a goal waved off on a BS "incidental contact" call. But the 2 points are nice.

Oh, the Predators look really good. I would not want to play them in the postseason.

• 2 weeks later...

New lines today...

Mike Richards-Claude Giroux-Jeff Carter

Scott Hartnell-Danny Briere-Ville Leino

Dan Carcillo-Andreas Nodl-James van Riemsdyk

Jody Shelley-Blair Betts-Darroll Powe

The Briere line stays the same, but otherwise they are sacrificing depth in exchange for a true top line. Three centers on the top line, no true centers on the third line. Interested to see how Mike Richards responds to having legit playmakers to work with for a change. Also, Nik Zherdev is back in Lavy's doghouse apparently.

So, one would assume the Flyers' only true target at the trade deadline would be another scoring winger. I have heard the names Kris Versteeg and Erik Cole mentioned. Versteeg would be perfect, but I am guessing Brian Burke will covet James van Riemsdyk in any trade.

Edited by Phightins

New lines today...

Mike Richards-Claude Giroux-Jeff Carter

Scott Hartnell-Danny Briere-Ville Leino

Dan Carcillo-Andreas Nodl-James van Riemsdyk

Jody Shelley-Blair Betts-Darroll Powe

Well that didn't work...

I am now looking for...

JvR-Richards-Versteeg

Hartnell-Briere-Leino

Carter-Giroux-Zherdev

Nodl-Betts-Powe

Well, if Zherdev is still on the roster in April, the playoff lines will probably look something like this. But I fully expect him to be the odd man out, and perhaps dealt by the deadline.

Read on twitter that this is the first part of the plan. Also read that Columbus GM was asking about Flyers players for Steve Mason...that would be unreal even though his play lately might have taken him off the block.

Yeah I heard that Mason was offered and the Flyers declined. I really don't want to see them trade for a goalie. The market is very thin, so the asking price for anybody that would be an improvement over Bob/Boosh is going to be high, I would think. I don't see it as that pressing of a need.

I also heard that Columbus' GM was asking RJ Umberger for his opinion on some Flyers guys. A blog I read did some deductive reasoning and realized that the only guy they possibly could have been talking about is Braydon Coburn (since everyone else Umberger played with is either gone or has a steep contract). I actually would not be surprised at all if Coburn is traded after the season, but I don't see them doing it now unless they get a legit replacement.

Getting sick of Briere. Tries to compensate for his lack of defense by taking horrendous stick penalties at horrendous times.

Well, he's a hell of a player, have to take the good with the bad, but it's excruciating to watch him play in his own end.

I am sick of the national media clowns like Mike Milbury saying "the Flyers need to solidify their goaltending blah blah blah". Such a cheap way to get an article written or a piece for TV done. "Well it's the Flyers and they are struggling, must be the goaltending!". Anybody who has watched this team since the all star break knows that goaltending is about as far down the list of problems as anything. This defense would make Dominik Hasek look bad right now.

Edited by Phightins