Philadelphia Flyers 2010-2011

Phightins

The two softest goals I have ever seen Briah Boucher give up come in the first 5 minutes of a playoff game. Not a good time for this...

Also, Zac Rinaldo (he of more suspensions than goals in the AHL this past season) is in the lineup. Clear response to the shenanigans from game 4.

Can't survive two goaltending meltdowns in one series and expect to still win, despite how well the rest of the team has played. Thoroughly embarrassing if the season ends on account of goaltending, if they are indeed done.

On a similar note, enough [expletive]ing around. We need a number one goalie. Whether Bobrovsky steps up or we have to look outside the organization, I don't care. It just needs to happen. I have had enough of this shit. Too many great rosters going to waste.

Edited by Phightins

Bad call by Lavy going with Leighton if you ask me. It is simply unreasonable to expect a goalie to come into an elimination game, in the opposing teams arena no less, after having not played for basically the entire season. He played well for them last season in the playoffs, and he looked solid in relief of Boucher last game, but this was just too much if you ask me.

On the other end of the rink, Miller has been absolutely fantastic and has made probably about 5 huge saves already to keep his team in the game. If Leighton doesn't let a couple of softies in and Miller doesn't stand on his head in that period, this game could easily be 3-1 for Philly instead of Buffalo.

That is what a franchise goalie can do for you, though. Philly of all teams know the importance of having a reliable goalie back there.

Bad call by Lavy going with Leighton if you ask me. It is simply unreasonable to expect a goalie to come into an elimination game, in the opposing teams arena no less, after having not played for basically the entire season. He played well for them last season in the playoffs, and he looked solid in relief of Boucher last game, but this was just too much if you ask me.

On the other end of the rink, Miller has been absolutely fantastic and has made probably about 5 huge saves already to keep his team in the game. If Leighton doesn't let a couple of softies in and Miller doesn't stand on his head in that period, this game could easily be 3-1 for Philly instead of Buffalo.

That is what a franchise goalie can do for you, though. Philly of all teams know the importance of having a reliable goalie back there.

Yep, I am with you, as is the rest of Philadelphia, from what I have gathered.

Actually, I am not nearly as pissed that Leighton started over Boucher as I am about Bobrovsky getting booted after game 2. He should be playing.

So, Mike Richards has been invisible for the entire series. First play of significance is taking Tim Connolly's head off with a vicious board and putting the team down 5 on 3. No need for that. Maybe looking at a suspension too, if we go to game 7.

And this is why they need to allow that bear hug rule that Brian Burke always advocates. Don't get me wrong, Richards definitely could've played that better as the shove was unecessary, but if you are allowed to wrap him up like Burke always talks about, you avoid what could easily end up as yet another concussion for Tim Connolly and possibly the end of his career given all of the problems he has had with concussions in the past (although this is unlikely).

PS: What a save by Boucher on Myers (I think). Don't know how he managed to track that puck and come away with that save.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Outshot Buffalo 16-2 in the first. 16-2. Yet we only lead 1-0. That period was this series in a nutshell, minus Boosh letting in a softy. Oh well, keep it up and I don't see how we lose this. Well, on second thought...

Pronger played a regular shift in game 7 and Syvret barely played at all, so I will assume we are going back to 6 defensemen to start the BOS series. Carter not ready yet and Nodl still a question mark, so I'd say Shelley or Holmstrom are the safest bets to get into the lineup. I keep hearing that Rinaldo was practicing with the 4th line today. I certainly hope this is not true, he is useless in the playoffs.

Ah, the always useful "pull the goalie to make it look like it's his fault" tactic. Love it. Remind me to not listen to any hockey talk shows in the next 48 hours.

Absolutely horrendous game. JvR and Pronger the only two guys on the ice who are even remotely visible. Boosh had one ugly one, but otherwise was left out to dry on every goal.

Edited by Phightins

Really have no idea what to expect/hope for this offseason.

Part of me wants to see them overpay for Bryzgalov, but the realistic fan in me does not want any part of this. There should be some cap space to play with though. Cap going up, plus Leino and Zherdev unlikely to be re-signed. I also expect a defenseman to be dealt (Carle or Coburn probably). So there will be a bit of wiggle room.

I'd love to have Bryzgalov for next season, maybe the next two seasons. Good goaltender in his prime, Russian mentor for Bobs, etc. Seems like a perfect situation if they can make the money and years work. Not sure why Bryz would want to come here long time when it's clear Bobs is the "goalie of the future".

Whatever, I don't even care at this point. Go do something stupid. Go sign somebody to a stupid contract. The current process is not winning any championships...

• 3 weeks later...

The Flyers somehow "lost" the rights to Joacim Eriksson, one of our goaltending prospects. Really, how the [expletive] does this happen?

I really have a feeling that in 6 or 7 years, we will look back and say "how on earth did they let that guy get away".

• 2 weeks later...

This basically sucks. I finally have the money to become a Flyers season ticket holder, but when I call the ticket office this morning to place my deposit, I learn that they are completely sold out. Just my luck.

So, apparently there is a deal in place with Bryzgalov, in the neighborhood of $7 million per year. My worst fears. Don't get me wrong, I will be thrilled to have him on the roster, but that kind of cap hit can/probably will cripple them.

Now, all I can hope for is a king's ransom for Jeff Carter/Sergei Bobrovsky/Kris Versteeg. Voracek/#8 pick/one more player wouldn't be bad for Carter. No idea what the market would be for the other two.

So, apparently there is a deal in place with Bryzgalov, in the neighborhood of $7 million per year. My worst fears. Don't get me wrong, I will be thrilled to have him on the roster, but that kind of cap hit can/probably will cripple them.

Now, all I can hope for is a king's ransom for Jeff Carter/Sergei Bobrovsky/Kris Versteeg. Voracek/#8 pick/one more player wouldn't be bad for Carter. No idea what the market would be for the other two.

I'm just looking forward to the potential of the Flyers finally having goaltending, but then lose a series because of the lack of a a premier goal scorer(although they have a few).

Why trade Sergei Bobrovsky? Is there a chance he might go back to Russia if not starting?

There is a lot of speculation that he'd be traded if this Bryzgalov signing indeed happens.

Well, Bryzgalov is probably good for 65-70 starts per season if he stays healthy. So that leaves very little playing time for the backup. Bob is 22 years old and needs to play to develop. And from my understanding, since he appeared in 60 games last year (including postseason), he is no longer waiver exempt if they wanted to send him to the AHL. Also he'd be one of the four or five highest paid backups in the league. So basically the only option would be to trade him. Especially since the Flyers lack draft picks/top prospects, it'd be a good chance to recoup some assets.

I think it'd be cool to have a Thomas/Rask type situation with Bryzgalov/Bobrovsky, but if the Bryz deal is for 5 or more years (it probably will be), I don't see how it could work.

Edited by Phightins