How Much Longer Will Duncan Play?

Tim Duncan is still a good player, but it is pretty clear that he is on the tail end of his career and is not the player that he once was.

He has two years left on his current contract (I think) and that would put him at 36 years old. He doesn't exactly strike me as the kind of guy who is going to hold on and try to stay in the league despite not really being a productive player. I always figured that when he thought he could no longer play at a high level that he would call it quits.

So how much longer do you think Duncan plays?

He's already won four titles so I could see him retiring at the end of his contract especailly since I believe Pop is leaving then too.

I remember reading something a while ago and it said that Pop plans on retiring at the same time as Duncan does.

I don't know how much truth there is to that, but I can definitely see it happening. The two of them are very, very close and Pop isn't exactly getting any younger. Add in the fact that when Duncan hangs 'em up the Spurs are going to most likely be a lottery team again, and it makes sense that Pop would decide to call it quits then.

He'll obviously retire a Spur but the question is when? He is 34, at the end of his contract there is a chance he will retire but he has a lot of love for basketball so I could see him remaining in the league until he knows hes done, he hasnt been a very injury prone player and has remained pretty healthy since he has been resting a lot in the regular season which would help him play even longer than most think.

It depends on how these next 2 seasons go. He's still quite a productive and effective player, and as long as that sustains and the Spurs are in the post-season, I can't see him hanging them up. Now, if Parker is gone and the team is a fringe playoff team by the end of his contract, I can see him retiring.

I think they are going to see how Splitter is going to go first. If Splitter is nothing more than an ordinary role player, then Duncan might get resigned another year (he can play till 38/39 IMO). I can see him leaving when he see fits though, whether it be another player taking over the reign at San Antonio or if they fail to remain as playoffs contenders.