Boston at New York

Real Deal

• Owner

Yeah, the refs blew it at the end of the game, when they didn't add the extra 0.3 to the clock.

However, I don't think it would've mattered. Amare didn't even have his arm extended when the clock ran out. By NBA rule, 0.3 allows for a tip...which means very, very little contact AND very quickly, at that.

So assuming you add 0.3 seconds (a tip) to the point where Amare was about to extend his arm on the shot...I don't think he would've gotten it off. I mean...hell, this one wasn't even close. I didn't even have to see the replay to know he didn't beat the clock.

The true dagger came when Raymond Felton landed hard, laid there, and allowed the Celtics to rush up the court, 4 on 5, and get Ray Allen WIDE OPEN in the corner for the three. While Gallinari matched it back down the court after a good acting job, it really didn't matter because it put the ball in Boston's hands, with the game on the line, and everyone knew Pierce was going to take that jumper right when they got the switch (Felton on Pierce). The second switch was even worse, Amare on him, because it allowed Pierce to fake the drive and take the fadeaway from his little sweet spot. Amare should've played the shot all the way through, no drive, because there wasn't enough time for Pierce to hesitate and restart the drive to the rim.

Stoudemire dropped that 39, but he is such a defensive wreck, it's hard to watch. Because of that, the rest of the team has to help him down low. They just stand there and watch (everyone but Fields, anyway).

With an injured Rondo, and not having both Shaq or Jermaine, it was actually an impressive win by the Celtics. They had all of that to deal with, were on the road, and were playing a streaking Knicks team.

Go figure they would win it, though. Hate Boston.

Yeah, the refs blew it at the end of the game, when they didn't add the extra 0.3 to the clock.

However, I don't think it would've mattered. Amare didn't even have his arm extended when the clock ran out. By NBA rule, 0.3 allows for a tip...which means very, very little contact AND very quickly, at that.

So assuming you add 0.3 seconds (a tip) to the point where Amare was about to extend his arm on the shot...I don't think he would've gotten it off. I mean...hell, this one wasn't even close. I didn't even have to see the replay to know he didn't beat the clock.

The true dagger came when Raymond Felton landed hard, laid there, and allowed the Celtics to rush up the court, 4 on 5, and get Ray Allen WIDE OPEN in the corner for the three. While Gallinari matched it back down the court after a good acting job, it really didn't matter because it put the ball in Boston's hands, with the game on the line, and everyone knew Pierce was going to take that jumper right when they got the switch (Felton on Pierce). The second switch was even worse, Amare on him, because it allowed Pierce to fake the drive and take the fadeaway from his little sweet spot. Amare should've played the shot all the way through, no drive, because there wasn't enough time for Pierce to hesitate and restart the drive to the rim.

Stoudemire dropped that 39, but he is such a defensive wreck, it's hard to watch. Because of that, the rest of the team has to help him down low. They just stand there and watch (everyone but Fields, anyway).

With an injured Rondo, and not having both Shaq or Jermaine, it was actually an impressive win by the Celtics. They had all of that to deal with, were on the road, and were playing a streaking Knicks team.

Go figure they would win it, though. Hate Boston.

You make good points but I think some of your accusations are a little unfair.

First of all, I completely agree that the wide open Allen 3 was HUGE. A game changer, and then Danilo with the clutch acting job and 3 point play. Where I think you're off base is in your analysis of Amar'e's defense on the switch. I thought his defense was good. I know you play basketball RD. Did you see the forearm shove Pierce gave? Houston did it all the time. The great ones always do. And they don't call that at the end of the game, and let me bold this, rightfully so they shouldn't. Let the players play. But Amar'e using his size had to make Pierce push off, and shoot a fade away over his 6'11" frame, he can't let Pierce go around him, where, let's face it, the Knicks have horrible help defense. My point is, Amar'e played solid defense and forced a somewhat difficult shot. It just so happens to be that Pierce is one of the all time best at the mid range fadeaway late in the game.

I also disagree on the assumption that Amar'e's defense is a wreck. Look...he isn't the best defensive center in the league, and I won't try to defend him that his defense is good. But it's at least average from what I've seen. This isn't the NBA of the 90's where Pat Reily's teams were going to literally 'hit you in the mouth' when you go to the hoop. The NBA is soft now. I think Amar'es defense is on par with pretty much all the other big guys out there, with the exception of a few. Plus, the Knicks are pretty undersized down low, and aren't a good rebounding squad, so he is left out there to dry a lot of times which makes him look even worse. After watching EDDY CURRY for years, I've been rather impressed with Stoudemire's defense thus far this year.

It was a solid win for the Celts, I'll give that to them. They are a bit beat up, and playing in a hostile environment. I thought it was a great game on both sides. Just so disappointing that the Knicks lead the entire game, and lose at the end like that. Especially after Stoudemire actually makes that shot from two steps beyond the 3 pt line. Incredible.

• Owner

The only time I've seen Amare play defense is against Tim Duncan (no idea why). He has a thing where, when he rebounds, he anticipates the board and jumps too early, and when he does, he seems to fling his body in one direction. Late in the game, this happened twice...and one of them was shown on one of those above-the-rim cams, where he actually bumped into his own teammate (maybe it was Fields) and allowed an offensive board and a very easy, uncontested put-back.

That seems like one of the reasons Amare has always been average on the glass when compared to other bigs (never averaged 10 per game in his career), and giving up those boards also gives up easy put-backs, as mentioned above, not because he can't defend it face-up, but because he can't get back under the player in time to stop it.

I really think Amare should be more physical boxing out. It seems like he's avoiding contact when he does try and get a box-out (not talking on frees because EVERYONE boxes out on the line), and I would think it could be because of his eye issue, but he hasn't really done it since coming into the league.

About the final shot for Boston...Amare still contested the shot a little, and Pierce gave him the elbow shrug, but Stoudemire has to force Pierce to his left. Everyone knows that Pierce goes to his right and takes that shot from the right elbow. Anywhere else, center to left to corner, isn't really considered his shot. I'm not demanding that Amare becomes a perimeter defensive player, but every professional knows how to set their feet, to force players elsewhere, and there was going to be little to no help on that side of the basket to begin with.

The defense was fine at the time of the shot, because he recovered well...but he played that drive by basically giving him his right side, and like any pro or even us casual fans, he has to know that a jumper near/on the right elbow is Pierce's forte.

The only time I've seen Amare play defense is against Tim Duncan (no idea why). He has a thing where, when he rebounds, he anticipates the board and jumps too early, and when he does, he seems to fling his body in one direction. Late in the game, this happened twice...and one of them was shown on one of those above-the-rim cams, where he actually bumped into his own teammate (maybe it was Fields) and allowed an offensive board and a very easy, uncontested put-back.

That seems like one of the reasons Amare has always been average on the glass when compared to other bigs (never averaged 10 per game in his career), and giving up those boards also gives up easy put-backs, as mentioned above, not because he can't defend it face-up, but because he can't get back under the player in time to stop it.

I really think Amare should be more physical boxing out. It seems like he's avoiding contact when he does try and get a box-out (not talking on frees because EVERYONE boxes out on the line), and I would think it could be because of his eye issue, but he hasn't really done it since coming into the league.

About the final shot for Boston...Amare still contested the shot a little, and Pierce gave him the elbow shrug, but Stoudemire has to force Pierce to his left. Everyone knows that Pierce goes to his right and takes that shot from the right elbow. Anywhere else, center to left to corner, isn't really considered his shot. I'm not demanding that Amare becomes a perimeter defensive player, but every professional knows how to set their feet, to force players elsewhere, and there was going to be little to no help on that side of the basket to begin with.

The defense was fine at the time of the shot, because he recovered well...but he played that drive by basically giving him his right side, and like any pro or even us casual fans, he has to know that a jumper near/on the right elbow is Pierce's forte.

Fair enough. It is true that everyone and their mother knew Pierce was pulling up. But you still can't play too tight and get a foul or let him blow right by you with a little shoulder fake.

I do agree he doesn't box out, but that's a lost art in the NBA. Barely anyone does.

I think the boxing out thing has to fall on D'Antoni a bit as well. If you can't convince your big man to box out there is something wrong. (inb4 lol Brook Lopez)

No one boxes out though in the NBA. It's truly a lost art. People just jump for the rebounds and tip it to themselves. There's very few who play textbook and box out.