Popovich: 'If We Don't Win, I Should Be Fired'

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich likes the moves the team has made so far this offseason.

"If we don't win it, I should probably be fired," Popovich told NBA.com.

However, he added that the Spurs will only go as far a healthy Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili next season.

Source

I think he is basically saying they won it with TP-TD-Manu, adding RJ should make them better than any championship team he's had. But I think he is pretty much ignoring how many good teams there are this year compared to their past championship years, there are like 5 teams right now that could all very well be the NBA Champions at season's end.

I don't think this was meant to be taken literal lol.

I mean they won't be running into a team like the 06 Cavaliers this year in the finals, or even in the WCF for that matter (if they make it there).

Edited by travesy3

Only reason I can see Greg saying this cause maybe he might wanna retire seriously. Why would you say this when coaching a contending that has it's window open for 2 years left. I think Greg might wanna retire soon.

He says it to take pressure off his team and to put the pressure on himself. He also gives the Spurs a lot of confidence with statements like that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...