Will Yi have a breakout year?

We all know about the flaws in Yi's game, he's soft, cannot play with other bigs in the paint, and is an average at best rebounder. But as I have been watching the preseason games, Flip has been showing a ton of confidence in him, giving him a lot of playing time, and it has been paying off. He's been playing well so far, his shot has looked good, and he's improving his rebounding. If JeVale doesn't perform well this year (and that is likely...I still don't have much faith in him right now), Yi could end up being named our starter.

Last season in New Jersey he averaged 12PPG and 7RPG, which isn't terrible in 31MPG. I could see him averaging more than that in Washington with our three guard rotation (Wall, Arenas, Hinrich) setting him up off of pick n rolls.

Is Yi poised to have a break out year in 2010-2011?

He is gonna struggle to get enough minutes to have a breakout year. Wizards have quite a few solid bigs, two of which will be getting major minutes, while Yi will be left to fight it out with a bunch of other young bigs.

Not sure I agree with that. Hilton Armstrong isn't anything special, JeVale McGee is still extremely raw, Seraphin is a project, Hamady probably won't even be playing with us this year, and Booker is more of a SF/PF.

Dray is the only lock for us in the starting line up. If Yi continues to impress the coaching staff, he could very well get 20-25 minutes.

I've also heard that Flip is experimenting with a big line up of Arenas (or Wall)-Kirk-Dray-Yi-McGee. I think because of his versatility, it will allow him to get more than enough minutes to prove himself to the league.