NHL All Star Game format to be overhauled

Phightins

Posted about this in general hockey thread, but now that this is official I figured it deserves it's own thread.

The NHL is considering a full scale overhaul of the NHL All Star game.

While the concept hasn't been officially signed off on, sources say how the players are selected to play may change for this year's event in North Carolina.

If the changes are approved, the East vs. West format would no longer exist.

Fan voting would still be utilized to determine the game's starters, while the remaining 36 players will be selected by NHL's hockey operations department.

The captains of each team will be voted on by the participating players, and those captains and alternate captains will draft their teams as part of a live event in Raleigh during All Star weekend.

Discussions with the NHLPA will continue before an official announcement is made. However, the expectation is the league and union will agree to the changes in the coming days.

I personally think this is awesome. The NHL realizes that the All Star Game is nothing more than a money-making gimmick. And gimmicks need to be shaken up every once in a while to stay interesting. This probably will have a short shelf life, and when it is dried up they can try something new. Unlike MLB, they are not trying to make the All Star Game a bigger deal than it is. This should be fun.

Anyway, the "draft" will be on January 28th, according to TSN.

Edited by Phightins

I like it. The NHL All-Star game as been really boring over the past few years and I honestly can't remember the last time that I sat down and watched one from start to finish. Hockey just isn't as fun to watch if players aren't going full tilt, not that many sports are but especially hockey.

This could definitely put some life into the game.