Currently reading?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And they're exactly the reasons it annoyed and frustrated me. You would think for a book so full of thought and detail, something.. anything good would come of it. But it's just a very real, very frank description of what usually does happen in the given circumstances that the characters were caught in. I don't know, when I pick up a book, I expect it to be a fictional work about the hero prevailing with the usual 'unexpected' twists and wonderful insight. But, I just can't get into a book which such metaphorical and deeply thought provoking content only to have it end in disaster for all involved within. That's why I never finished Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 which seemed to get further away from the objective then from when it began or many other post-modern novels.

I'm nearly at the ending of the Fellowship of the Ring and it's been an exhausting trip, to be honest. I do find it interesting, but the names are just everywhere. Sometimes I read so fast that I literally find my mind unable to keep up with what I'm reading, often having to go back to fully understand. It is a great book, though. I intend on reading The Hobbit which was kind of a lead-up to the Lord of the Rings (big emphasis on 'kind of' as its only resemblance is Bilbo Baggins and Gandalf the Grey) and also The Silmarillion. They're apparently the best of the Tolkien novels.

As for the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, would you recommend it to read? I never thought it even had a series, to be quite honest. I have to pick a speculative fiction (Sci-Fi) novel to read and discuss in one of our classes. I might do it if you can convince me that it's worth a look at, haha.

It's clever, witty, silly, and absurd, with a few poignant moments sprinkled in. If that's your cup of tea, it's a blast to read and you'll be chuckling throughout the book. If you like The Hitchikers Guide, you'll pick up the other four books in the series very quickly. It's a pretty light book so I don't know just how deep you can delve into it for a class, but it's definitely one of the funnest books you'll ever read.

It's clever, witty, silly, and absurd, with a few poignant moments sprinkled in. If that's your cup of tea, it's a blast to read and you'll be chuckling throughout the book. If you like The Hitchikers Guide, you'll pick up the other four books in the series very quickly. It's a pretty light book so I don't know just how deep you can delve into it for a class, but it's definitely one of the funnest books you'll ever read.

I might give it a go. I don't even know the assignment really, but if it's anything like our others, it'll be defining the story, the style and using a few interesting notes here and there to get through the rest of the talk. Who's the author of the series?