Increasing Vertical Jump

Luke

Well I've been looking online and can't really find much..I've seen this thing called a jumping manual, but it costs quite a lot of money for what it actually is. Is anyone working on this themselves? Or has been in the past? I need some different routines to increase it. At the moment I can touch the rim and hang on it, but not enough to get the ball above the rim in my hand. I've done a couple of things like squats/lunges etc in the gym..but not much.

Also while I'm here..is it possible to be able to palm the ball by doing anything in the gym or whatever? Or is it all about the size of your hand and once you stop growing that's it?

Help appreciated guys.

buy some ankle weights(not really needed but it helps) and buy a skipping rope (this will be your best friend)

all you do figure out some kinda of routine you like for me i was doing this every morning for a few months

calf raises (20), squats (40) skip jumps? lol. (50) and then i just stood still and put a marker on the backboard and i jumped to it (10), every week i increased the marker higher. i repeated it like 5 times or reps idk i the name for it :lol:

but if you chose to do what i done when you do your standing still jumps you don't wanna do a half assed or it does nothing and you're wasting your time jump push yourself or else you wont see any improvements

hope you get something outta it :lol:

Ok, this is one area I am useful in. Back in middle school/early high school I was obsessed with increasing my vertical jump and bought a bunch of products and all that crap. As I went through my journey, I found it is very, very simple, but also is hard work...

1) You need to increase your maximum strength output. In other words, you need to get strong in your legs (specifically hamstrings, glutes and quads) and core (lower back and abs). The best exercises to do are squats (try around 4 sets of 5-12 reps), deadlifts (around 4 sets of 5-8 reps), straight legged deadlifts (3 sets of 8-12), and calf raises (3 sets of 10-15). For your core, do weighted planks and various crunches. Makes sure you lift for lower body no more than once a week. Also, try not to run around or do much that involves your legs the next day as you will want to recover (because you don't gain muscle and strength without proper rest). For your core, you can workout 3-4x per week.

2) You need to increase fast-twitch fibers...in other words, you need to increase how explosively you can jump off the ground. To do this, plyometrics are key. As opposed to Air Alert, which tells you to do hundreds and thousands of reps EVERY SINGLE DAY, which can cause serious injury (as it did me), you want to keep it light. Do plyometrics AFTER you lift, and you can do it once or twice more per week. Generally, some well-regarded plyometric exercises are box jumps and similar exercises. To get a more extensive workout routine, go to bodybuilding.com and type in "plyometrics" into the search bar and you'll find a number of good workouts. Also, 50-100 yard sprints are also tremendous for increasing speed/explosiveness.

3) PRACTICE. Don't go overboard and burn yourself out, but every 2 weeks keep track of your progress, and try different techniques. Personally, I jump much higher off 2 legs, but a lot of people jump higher off 1 leg. Figure out what works best for you.

Awesome that's a great help.

Found a good plyometric article here - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw27.htm

I'll start my program as of tomorrow. How many inches did your jump increase..I mean I haven't exactly been doing any plyometrics, just things like squats, leg press etc and I got a fair increase off that alone. I'm quite confident. Another thing..time. Does it take long to get results? Thanks mate.

Awesome that's a great help.

Found a good plyometric article here - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw27.htm

I'll start my program as of tomorrow. How many inches did your jump increase..I mean I haven't exactly been doing any plyometrics, just things like squats, leg press etc and I got a fair increase off that alone. I'm quite confident. Another thing..time. Does it take long to get results? Thanks mate.

I don't remember how many inches exactly. But I went from just touching backboard to getting rim in a few months, and my speed also increased. I'd expect it to take a few weeks to start getting results, and a few months for it to start getting really noticeable when you're playing in games.