Amar'e Says He Was Never Taught Defense

Knicks forward Amar'e Stoudemire says that he was never taught defense.

Stoudemire says defense is more a priority now for him than ever before in his career.

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Amare+Stoudemire+mfqnvqFm1Ysm.jpg

"When trying to win ball games, defense is what does it," Stoudemire said. "Getting stops, getting rebounds ... it's imperative for me to bring that defensive intensity."

Stoudemire doesn't argue that his reputation as a poor defensive player was well deserved in Phoenix and seemed to suggest that former Suns and current Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni was indirectly responsible.

"It was fair," Stoudemire said. "I was never taught defense. I just never was taught it in high school and also in the NBA."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70285/20101127/amare_says_he_was_never_taught_defense/

Hmm, never knew that anyone could get through any amount of time playing basketball without being taught defense. No offense to him, but that's the first thing that you get taught when you start playing basketball. It's good to see him paying extra attention to it now, but still, I don't believe that he was "never taught defense".

Thoughts?

You can't be taught defense, you are either good at it, or you are bad. I was never taught defense in school either, sure, we learned zone and what to do, but certain people just know how to play it naturally.

You can't be taught defense, you are either good at it, or you are bad. I was never taught defense in school either, sure, we learned zone and what to do, but certain people just know how to play it naturally.

There are drills that can certainly help you. For example working on a drill to improve your lateral foot speed is a way to help you become a defender.

Well.. he still gets some blocks here and there but he's obviously not the best big man defender. It's really weird to see such a star having so much success without even have been taught defense. With his explosiveness I'm not THAT surprised though

I disagree.

Defense is based more on your IQ of the game and knowing what is going on around you more than anything. That can be learned and improved.

Athletics/having freakish genes can not be taught but defense definitely can be taught. You can learn when to rotate, when to foul, and even dictating where the ball goes.

When growing up he probably ignore the lesson his coaches were giving him on how to play defense.

No...he was probably always teh biggest/most athletic. you don't need to be taught defense when you're 6 inches bigger, stronger, and way more athletic then the kid coming to the hoop.

I highly doubt he was never taught defense he just probably didn't listen to coaches early on his basketball life.

read my above post. when you're that good / big growing up, you don't need to be taught defense. they probably worked on his offensive skills far more.

Lol. No. Did you ever play basketball? You don't just know how to play man-to-man defense lmfao.

I disagree.

Defense is based more on your IQ of the game and knowing what is going on around you more than anything. That can be learned and improved.

Athletics/having freakish genes can not be taught but defense definitely can be taught. You can learn when to rotate, when to foul, and even dictating where the ball goes.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Defense isn't always practical you needa be a quick thinker and everything.

So Steve Nash isn't a good defender because he doesn't think quick? :lol:

Okay, you got me there... -_-

But still, defense consists a lot of your mind.

Sure people can practice defense (eg. footwork, proper technique on defense etc.) but I think defense isn't something you can pick up as easily as shooting or dribble moves or anything.

Defense revolves around effort and dedication...if you don't put forth the effort, aka Amare, you'll never be good at it.

He puts in effort. Defense is about 90% effort. But there's certainly 10% of technique that can make you a better defender.