Report: NFL Will Not Suspend Andre Johnson

htown11

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/lebronze23/Johnson.jpg

Texans receiver Andre Johnson has reportedly dodged a bullet from the league office, as the NFL has decided not to suspend Johnson for punching Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan on Sunday.

Mark Berman of FOX 26 Sports is reporting that Johnson will be fined but not suspended.

That means Johnson will play Thursday night against the Eagles in a very big game for the Texans, who are 5-6 and one game behind the Jaguars and Colts in the AFC South. Having to face Johnson could be trouble for the Eagles, whose pass defense struggled as they fell to 7-4 in a loss to the Bears Sunday.

There’s no word on the amount of Johnson’s fine, or on the league’s discipline for Finnegan.

I have read conflicting reports all over so I hope this is true!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/29/report-nfl-will-not-suspend-andre-johnson/

Like Richard Seymour was?

Those incidents weren't anything alike. Richard Seymour hit Big Ben once, and he wasn't even looking at him originally. They are completely different, and the only reason you are mentioning it is so you can try and call me a homer for saying Seymour shouldn't be suspended for pushing Big Ben in the face.

However, in your fantasy world, throwing punches at a guy while he is on the ground without a helmet on is the same as punching/pushing/shoving(whatever you call what he did) a guy in the helmet after reacting to being touched is the same thing.

You know what you are saying is ridiculous. The incidents were NOTHING alike.

A DE striking a QB unprovoked and a WR engaging a CB who hit him first... You're right, they're absolutely nothing alike. Especially in a league that protects the QB.

You are grasping for straws here, and missing completely. I really don't get how you can think the situations are similar at all. It's been said that Richard Seymour didn't know it was Big Ben, and even if he did, how can you say it was unprovoked. Big Ben was right behind him saying something. He shouldn't have hit him, but saying that pushing a QB in the helmet after turning around is the same thing as taking cheap shots at a player on the ground with his helmet off is the same thign is truly absurd.

You can troll better then this.

You are grasping for straws here, and missing completely. I really don't get how you can think the situations are similar at all. It's been said that Richard Seymour didn't know it was Big Ben, and even if he did, how can you say it was unprovoked. Big Ben was right behind him saying something. He shouldn't have hit him, but saying that pushing a QB in the helmet after turning around is the same thing as taking cheap shots at a player on the ground with his helmet off is the same thign is truly absurd.

You can troll better then this.

So let's get this straight.

A QB saying something behind a DE is grounds for the DE to strike the QB... as long as he claims he doesn't know who it was.

But

A CB shoving a WR in the facemask and punching him is not grounds for the WR to throw the CB down and strike him.

I totally understand your logic and where you're coming from, thank you so much for waking me up to this thought process.

I think if it was T.O., Moss, or another WR with perceived attitude problems, they would have been suspended, and I do think it may have to do with how big of a game the Eagles game will be.

Oh you're probably right. When I said "this doesn't have anything to do with the fact that he's playing the Eagles", I was referring to my opinion so I wouldn't look like a homer, haha.

But yes, as NHL fans where this stuff is more common, you and I both know how much reputation comes into play with discipline.

So let's get this straight.

A QB saying something behind a DE is grounds for the DE to strike the QB... as long as he claims he doesn't know who it was.

But

A CB shoving a WR in the facemask and punching him is not grounds for the WR to throw the CB down and strike him.

I totally understand your logic and where you're coming from, thank you so much for waking me up to this thought process.

What part of, "he shouldn't have hit him" don't you understand? I never said what Seymour did was right, but to say the situations were similar in incorrect.

There's a difference between pushing a player in the helmet(which happened in BOTH incidents), and punching a defenseless player in the head without his helmet off on the ground.

Yes, Finnagen started it and provoked Andre Johnson, but once someone is on the ground, you don't start punching them in the head no matter what. That would be an additional penalty in the NHL, which allows fighting. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with hte ruling if they were both swinging on their feet, but you don't punch a player on the ground without his helmet off.

That's incredibly dumb and contradictory what the NFL has said it wants to be.

I agree completely with this part of your statement. I don't think it has anything to do with their opponent, though.

Those incidents weren't anything alike. Richard Seymour hit Big Ben once, and he wasn't even looking at him originally. They are completely different, and the only reason you are mentioning it is so you can try and call me a homer for saying Seymour shouldn't be suspended for pushing Big Ben in the face.

However, in your fantasy world, throwing punches at a guy while he is on the ground without a helmet on is the same as punching/pushing/shoving(whatever you call what he did) a guy in the helmet after reacting to being touched is the same thing.

You know what you are saying is ridiculous. The incidents were NOTHING alike.

Agreed again. The incidents were completely separate, and this one was much more serious then the Seymour/Big Ben one.

A DE striking a QB unprovoked and a WR engaging a CB who hit him first... You're right, they're absolutely nothing alike. Especially in a league that protects the QB.

unprovoked? There was obviously some type of inciting incident as to why Seymour hit him in the face. Come on, you really believe that scumbag Roethlisberger?

I think if it was T.O., Moss, or another WR with perceived attitude problems, they would have been suspended

Once again, completely agreed.

Glad me and ECN can agree on something...finally. :lol:

If you don't think Seymour not being suspended for striking Ben in the head set the grounds that kept Andre from being suspended, you need to pull your head out of the sand.

They have nothing to do with each other. The Johnson incident had several closed fist punches thrown...

unprovoked? There was obviously some type of inciting incident as to why Seymour hit him in the face. Come on, you really believe that scumbag Roethlisberger?

Words, absolutely. Words don't justify hitting a quarterback in the head... lol. Finnegan hitting Andre TWICE is much more of a justification than Ben whispering sweet nothings to Seymour.

Don't get me wrong, Ben got what he deserved. I don't think Seymour nor Andre should have been suspended. But you can't say Seymour shouldn't have gotten suspended but Andre should have, the Seymour non-suspension set the grounds that kept Andre free.

They have nothing to do with each other. The Johnson incident had several closed fist punches thrown...

Provoked punches thrown. Punches thrown after being struck first, twice.

Seymour pimp slapped a quarterback after the play.

I don't get how this isn't being realized, but cool. Y'all have your convo, I'm out.

Words, absolutely. Words don't justify hitting a quarterback in the head... lol. Finnegan hitting Andre TWICE is much more of a justification than Ben whispering sweet nothings to Seymour.

Don't get me wrong, Ben got what he deserved. I don't think Seymour nor Andre should have been suspended. But you can't say Seymour shouldn't have gotten suspended but Andre should have, the Seymour non-suspension set the grounds that kept Andre free.

No way dude...The Johnson incident was FARRR more serious then Seymour's. Johnson and Finnegan went at it for about 20 seconds, and Seymour hitting Ben under the face mask with an open palm real quick of a jab is much different then two players going at it isolated for 20 seconds and the other guy taking several close fist punches at his head. Johnson should've been suspended a game or two, and Finnegan a game.

• Owner

Both Seymour and Johnson should've been suspended for one game. They both threw punches. If you can be suspended for a helmet-to-helmet hit that, sometimes, can't be proven as intentional...you should be suspended at least one game for intentionally throwing a punch, through a facemask or with the helmet off, doesn't matter who provoked it.

• Like 1

Both Seymour and Johnson should've been suspended for one game. They both threw punches. If you can be suspended for a helmet-to-helmet hit that, sometimes, can't be proven as intentional...you should be suspended at least one game for intentionally throwing a punch, through a facemask or with the helmet off, doesn't matter who provoked it.

Agree with this 100%. But, seeing as how Seymour wasn't suspended, they couldn't justify suspending Andre. The Seymour decision laid the grounds for this one.

Agree with this 100%. But, seeing as how Seymour wasn't suspended, they couldn't justify suspending Andre. The Seymour decision laid the grounds for this one.

I disagree both were completly different situations. Seymour was open handed and helmet on. Andre was the complete opposite. Seymour not getting suspended imo is ok, Andre and the [expletive] he smashed should both get one game.

That open-handed hit, helmet on, connected to Ben's chin. It could've broken his jaw just as much as a punch without a helmet on would.

True but Seymour only took one swing, unlike Andre. I know Andre is a good person on and off the field but you still have to punish him for his doings. Both of them should be suspended for one game.