Orlando lands Agent Zero, J-Rich, and Hedo

ChosenOne

Wizards trade Gilbert Arenas to Magic for Rashard Lewis

The Washington Wizards and Orlando Magic are close to a trade that will send guard Gilbert Arenas to Orlando in exchange for forward Rashard Lewis, a league source tells TNT's David Aldridge.

NBA.com

Magic continue to remake roster, complete trade with Suns

The Orlando Magic decided not to stand pat on Saturday, blowing up a team with championship aspirations that had been in first place in the Southeast Division for most of the first month of the season. On the same day that the team sent Rashard Lewis to Washington for Gilbert Arenas, Orlando agreed to jettison forwards Vince Carter and Mickael Pietrus, center Marcin Gortat, a future first-round pick and cash to Phoenix for veteran forward Hedo Turkoglu, guard Jason Richardson and second-year center Earl Clark.

NBA.com

Edited by ChosenOne

I don't really trust Arenas, he's had his issues. How can we be certain that he will play to his potential if we end up trading for him? Carter has actually been solid this year, and we've been winning games. Right now I would hate to breakup any chemistry that we've built up the past couple seasons.

It'd be a really risky move on the Magic's part, but I think the move has the potential to pay dividends for them. Arenas has worn out his stay in Washington and desperately needs a change of scenery. He would give the Magic that #1 guy to go-to at the end of games, and in their system I think he can really turn things around and be closer to the Arenas we saw in 2005-2007. Of course his massive contract and injuries would have me probably turn this deal down if I were Orlando, but I think it could potentially be a high-reward signing.

• 2 weeks later...

Magic, Wizards In Serious Arenas Trade Talks

The Magic and Wizards are engaged in serious trade talks that would send Gilbert Arenas to Orlando, sources confirmed to Yahoo's Adrian Wojarowski.

Arenas has told people over the last few days he expects a deal to Orlando.

The Magic have lost five of their past six games and are in need of a perimeter scorer.

Washington's potential package is still unclear, with Vince Carter and Marcin Gortat being possibilities.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70637/20101217/magic_wizards_in_serious_arenas_trade_talks/

Honestly I think Richard Hamilton or Tayshaun Prince would help them out a lot more, but acquiring Arenas wouldn't be a bad move depending on who the Magic trade. Like bigdog said, something has to change but is Gilbert really the answer to their problems?

• Owner

Arenas for Rashard makes the most sense here. I don't see why the Magic would send Carter, and I think the Wizards want to start Young and play Lewis at the three.

Bass is playing good for Orlando, and he's a real PF. Vince can move up to the three, Arenas at the two.

Arenas for Rashard makes the most sense here.

How so? One of the main reasons the Wizards want to get rid of Arenas is because of his horrible contract. Lewis' contract isn't much better, and Carter is an expiring. Secondly, having Arenas makes Carter redundant.

Sources say Orlando has talked to a number of teams and could be planning two separate deals. Trading for Arenas may just be the start.

One source says Gilbert Arenas to Orlando is done with an announcement expected tomorrow and debut on Monday. Still no word who Wizards get.

If Wizards get Rashard Lewis as @BQRMagic believes, it sounds like the Magic will continue to shop Vince Carter and Marcin Gortat package.

Still working the phones to confirm but it all lines up. The more I hear, the more I believe a second move could be coming.

• Owner

How so? One of the main reasons the Wizards want to get rid of Arenas is because of his horrible contract. Lewis' contract isn't much better, and Carter is an expiring. Secondly, having Arenas makes Carter redundant.

That's fine, but why would Orlando (a contender) trade Carter (the expiring) to the Wizards to take back Gilbert? That's sticking two toxic contracts on one team.

I think Washington feels they won't be able to drop Gil's contract, no matter what, so they might as well exchange players and see if Rashard makes more sense for them if he's playing the three.

It feels like the Wizards are a bit worried about the Wall and Arenas duo, and I think it has more to do with the way they want to run their starting five, not the contract.

Source: Arenas to ORL done, debut Monday

There are conflicting reports regarding the imminence of a potential trade sending Gilbert Arenas to the the Magic, but at least one has said the deal is done and that he will debut on Monday against the Hawks.

One other report says the deal is not "imminent," but all of the reports suggest that the sides are serious and by all appearances this trade is going down. Early reports suggested that Vince Carter and Marcin Gortat would be headed to the Wizards, but a recent report has Rashard Lewis possibly being the key piece with another trade involving the former pair in the works. Stay tuned.

ROTOWORLD.com

One source says Gilbert Arenas to Orlando is done with an announcement expected tomorrow and debut on Monday. Still no word who Wizards get.

AlexKennedy - Twitter