Orlando lands Agent Zero, J-Rich, and Hedo

ChosenOne

Misleading title, we don't know who is going where just yet.

All sources indicated that it is indeed Rashard Lewis that will be dealt for Arenas. Mlutiple blogs from the Orlando Magic side are also saying it's Lewis that's in the deal I just didn't want to post all the blogs that I read about the trade.

• Like 1

All sources indicated that it is indeed Rashard Lewis that will be dealt for Arenas. Mlutiple blogs from the Orlando Magic side are also saying it's Lewis that's in the deal I just didn't want to post all the blogs that I read about the trade.

there are also some sources that say Magic head Coach Stan Van Gundy doesn't want to add Arenas.. and others in the front office share the same feeling...

one bad contract for another? ESPN reporting that its a done deal that the Magic have acquired Hedo, Jason Richardson, and Arenas. I'm not sure how much better this will make them, but I think Hedo + JRich for Wince/Pietrus/Gortat is a good move. Rashard has been playing terrible for a while, and if Arenas becomes the starting point guard in Orlando, he can become very dangerous again. Jameer Nelson will be a very good backup PG and very good as a possible trade piece. Dwight also has no backup now...

Edited by Lkr
  • Like 1

I like the Arenas for Shard trade for both teams. Arenas was wasting away in Washington and needed a change of scenery, which he is getting. He will fit in with the Magic's system, and give them a guy who can create his own shot in the 4th quarter (although so can Hedo and J-Rich now). As bad as his contract is, Lewis' isn't any better, and I do feel Arenas is the better player with a higher ceiling for success in Orlando. As for the Wizards, getting rid of Arenas will help open things up for Wall, and Lewis will give Wall a nice, proven scoring weapon to work with who doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective.

• Like 1

you guys really butchered these trades lol. here it is:

Lewis for Arenas

Carter, Gortat, Pietrus for Richardson, Turk, Clark

I like both deals for Orlando. Arenas is a big contract, but Lewis' is even bigger (second highest paid player in the NBA). I'm expecting a rejuvenated Arenas who comes in and takes the team by the balls. They needed a perimeter scorer who could attack the basket, create shots for himself and others, and make big time shots at the end of games. They get all that in Arenas, and all they had to sacrifice was a drastically overpaid and unproductive Lewis.

The Phoenix deal was also pretty good; I think Richardson will be better for Orlando than Carter. He knows how to get to the basket and draw fouls. Carter always played on the perimeter and although he was still an effective scorer, he didn't do much defensively. Richardson gives you a veteran who's still in his prime arguably, who can get the basket, draw fouls, and hit some outside shots as well. Hopefully, Turk comes back revived and contributes the way he did a few years ago. He never found his niche in Toronto or Phoenix, but maybe this will be different. Finally, Clark is an underrated big man with skill. He's young and talented, but never got much time in Phoenix. Orlando can give him more minutes and we'll see his true potential.

Overall, both good trades for Orlando. This will help them immensely and make them back into a top three eastern conference team.

Give me Vince over Arenas any day of the week.

What matters here the most:

DH12, J-Rich, Arenas, Turkoglu* >> DH12, Vince, 'Shard, Pietrus.

*Hedo Turkoglu played his best ball in a Magic uniform.

And I didn't like Vince in the 'offs last season. J-Rich & Arenas could be a killer combo! It's a good trade, IMHO. Look for the Magic to dispute the East's no. 1 spot with the Heat. I don't see Boston finishing anywhere better than 3rd now.

Edited by Shaliq

Arenas is much better suited as a 6th man since he demands the ball so much, you certainly don't want to take looks away from Richarson/Howard and Hedo is much better with the ball in his hands. The Magic starting five of Jameer, Richardson, Hedo, Bass, and Howard already has enough scoring prowess as it is.

• Like 2

Great moves by Orlando, Turk was the most vital part of their finals run a couple years back, getting him back completes this team. Not to mention J Rich and Arenas who id take over Gortat Shard and Vince, only problem i see for Orlando is no big man depth, who is the back up C when Howard gets in early foul trouble?

EDIT: I shouldn't say most vital, but I should say the leader of the title run

Edited by STATCity

Great moves by Orlando, Turk was the most vital part of their finals run a couple years back, getting him back completes this team. Not to mention J Rich and Arenas who id take over Gortat Shard and Vince, only problem i see for Orlando is no big man depth, who is the back up C when Howard gets in early foul trouble?

They got Earl Clark from the Suns also

I think the biggest factor to this deal is that only 10 mill of Lewis' 22.7mill may be guaranteed in 2012/2013. That saves us about 12 mill that season compared to what they would have to pay Gil...not to mention the 22 or so mill in 2013/2014 that Gil is due. This is why we pulled the trigger on the deal although we probably preferred Carter's expiring.

But if this is indeed the end of an era in Washington, then Grunfeld MUST go. I still believe we could have gotten more for Gil (maybe a pick or two, or at least a young prospect), and Ernie has never been good during the draft. With us building through the draft, it's vital to our teams success that we get a GM capable of eying good young talent. I don't think there's anyone in DC that still supports him as our general manager.

The problem here though is that we have a logjam of forwards now. Flip wants to start Josh Howard, he's been waiting for J-Ho to be back and now it's his time to prove what he's made of. But we also have Blatche (who as much as I hate to say it, is one of the cornerstones of this rebuilding process now) so he needs to start. Then we have McGee who deserves to be the starter. So does Shard come off the bench? Does McGee? A lot needs to be sorted out in the coming weeks.

For Orlando, Lewis wasn't doing a damn thing and Carter is getting swapped with Richardson. Gortat? Dude plays 16mpg as a backup for the best center in basketball. Even without adding Arenas it's a step forward for the Magic. Arenas is a sweet incentive. Defense will definitely be a huge problem, by starting Arenas, you get a guy incapable of guarding the quicker, stronger guards in the league. He always got killed on D by Wade, a guy who they may face in May.

And let's not get too carried away, I love Gil, but he isn't a closer yet. He's lost that killer instinct, and while playing for a contender should lift his spirits and motivate him, it's going to take a while before we see the results we're expecting.

It's a decent trade for PHX, Gortat was underutilized in Orlando and Nash desperately needed a big to play the pick-and-roll with. Gortat is an excellent pick-and-roll player.. he has superb mobility and hands for a big.

I hope Gil the best, I'll be rooting for him, he's still one of my favorite players in the league.

• Like 1

Wow man, just heard about this. Just totally mind blowing. Jameer definitely needs to start (and SVG said he will for sure anyways) but yeah, not starting him would be a bad move, he's playing great this year and is a leader of our team. So I guess from looking at the roster, Hedo is definitely gonna start, and either J-Rich or Arenas will be our sixth man. As of right now I'd choose Richardson to start at SG. And maybe if Arenas starts balling out of his mind, he can earn the starting spot.

But I'm gonna miss all our dudes, Shard, Pietrus, March, Vince too. Had fun watching them, hope they enjoy their new teams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2wS18eaDdY

Edited by Riot

Well the Arenas-Lewis trade is certainly a good one for Orlando but I ain't as sure about the trade they made with Phoenix... I mean it is great to see Hedo back in Orlando as he had the best basketball of his career there and was definitely a key player to the team that made the Finals two years ago, and J Rich is definitely an upgrade over Vince Carter. It is now more than obvious that Vince is not the player that the Magic needs since the last playoffs (which doesn't surprise me one bit as I never liked that Carter trade personally...) they needed to get rid of him. So the arrival of Hedo and Richardson is definitely great for the Magic and, if I doubt that he will get back to the level at which he played 3/4 years ago Agent 0 can still be at least a great sixth man in Orlando.

But the reason why I'm not so sure about this trade is because of the losses of Pietrus and Gortat. Gortat wasn't playing a lot but he was quite valuable every time he was on the court, he still had an important role since the only other two inside players are Howard and Bass (who, even if he's a true PF, is definitely undersized). It's hard to judge Earl Clark as he didn't play much in Phoenix though. Anyway the major loss for me is definitely Pietrus. He was the best wing defender in that team, by far, and there is now no wing player who can defend the way he did. They might regret that in the playoffs..

So it seems to be a good trade overall but I'm not fully convinced by it at the same time because of that.