Knicks Could Get Pick For Randolph, To Use In Trade For Melo

The Knicks are in talks to trade Anthony Randolph for a first-round pick which can be used to help land Carmelo Anthony in New York.

The team has received calls from several Western Conference teams regarding Randolph. A Knicks source tells Frank Isola that the most compelling discussions have been with the Rockets, with one scenario seeing the Knicks re-acquire the first-round pick they traded to Houston before last year's trade deadline.

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Anthony_Carmelo_den_101410.jpg

The pick could be a critical piece that allows the Knicks to finalize a trade with Denver for Anthony.

Randolph acknowledged to the media Friday that he is aware that "a couple of teams" have expressed interest in trading for him.

"I think that's Donnie decision," Mike D'Antoni said about potential moves. "He's more removed from the situation. Coaches don't have a good perspective on when you need to do it and when you don't need to do it."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70515/20101211/knicks_could_get_pick_for_randolph_to_use_in_trade_for_melo/

Randolph really isn't fitting well in New York, so why not see if you can move him for that pick? Houston makes sense to me, because he'd fit in well with the system there, and he'd be asked to score the ball quite a bit as well. You get the pick to acquire Melo so why not? Makes perfect sense to me, and it's being very smart. I'll add some more thoughts later.

Thoughts?

Randolph is not fitting at all in NYC. Randolph is not happy and D'antoni is a [expletive]. I already said that.. but Houston is the perfect fit for them (go read why on the thread posted in South West Division). At the same time, I'd love to see Melo bouncing of Denver.. Tired of hearing of him all the time lol

Randolph is not happy and D'antoni is a [expletive].

I don't think this is a situation where D'Antoni is a [expletive]...

Randolph has been a horribly inefficient player when on the court. He's shooting 27%, doesn't play a lick of defense, and looks absolutely lost when on the court. It may be that he's simply lost in the new schemes, but that's not D'Antoni's fault... lol. It's a small sample size, but you have to play yourself into a D'Antoni rotation, and he hasn't done so.

The Knicks have won 12 of their last 13 games, why should he be forcing Randolph into a rotation he doesn't belong in?

I wish they'd hurry up and finalize this already. So Carmello can quit griping about not getting as much attention now as Lebron James and Dwayne Wade. He'd do well in NY, I think. For the team, the city, AND the league. I think the Knicks is the only NY team w/o a marquee name. Sorry, Galinari and Stoudamire is no Patrick Ewing or Sprewell or Starks.

No, they're 12-1 in the last 13... that ain't fluke.

If they suffer meltdown somehow and don't make playoffs, you'd be sure D'Antoni's fired.

---

Back to Randolph, I do think the kid still has potential. He needs a coach that trusts him and defines his role clearly. He's playing pressured now... he's playing for stats... thinking he has to score how many points and many rebounds in limited minutes.

I think the Knicks can get a first round pick but not from bad teams that surely will be lottery bound like Clippers, etc.

If they suffer meltdown somehow and don't make playoffs, you'd be sure D'Antoni's fired.

---

Back to Randolph, I do think the kid still has potential. He needs a coach that trusts him and defines his role clearly. He's playing pressured now... he's playing for stats... thinking he has to score how many points and many rebounds in limited minutes.

I think the Knicks can get a first round pick but not from bad teams that surely will be lottery bound like Clippers, etc.

The only team I could think of in the West who needs a PF is PHX so Randolph for 2011 1st round pick...?

The only team I could think of in the West who needs a PF is PHX so Randolph for 2011 1st round pick...?

Has nothing to do with needing a PF, any team could use a young potential filled PF/C on their roster. Phoenix may go for that though.

i could possible see Portland going for him

i would like to see okc go after him. his still young, got one year left on his contract and can play multiple positions so he could find some minutes here

Ibaka and Randolph off the bench as shot blockers would be sick as hell!

Who would give up a first round pick for this guy? I don't think he's anything special and isn't really worth the potential of someone coming out of the draft.

He's the same age as half the players coming out the draft and he has as much potential as most, he just needs a good coach.

---

No. Anthony Randolph is bad. He does nothing well.

Ibaka and Randolph off the bench as shot blockers would be sick as hell!

He's really not that good of a shot blocker, that's the thing...

Who would give up a first round pick for this guy? I don't think he's anything special and isn't really worth the potential of someone coming out of the draft.

Exactly.

He's the same age as half the players coming out the draft and he has as much potential as most, he just needs a good coach.

Nah. He is thin, still has not put on enough weight to compete at this level, and at what point does this 'potential' thing become he just sucks? I don't see the potential with this guy. So, he's a good athlete? So's everyone else in the NBA.

• Owner

Randolph needs to be stuck at the small forward position. He's absolutely horrible at the five (meaning, even worse than he is at the four), and I don't know why anyone would want him to play center.

He's a SF/PF, and he belongs in an offense that will run him up and down the floor, taking advantage of the smaller SF's that would have trouble defending him when he goes up to finish the break, or coming off a screen and getting the mismatch (like the Suns did with Diaw).

It's kind of weird when I mention Diaw...because it's sort of the reverse of his career. Diaw was being played as a smaller player in Atlanta, sometimes playing the two-guard position, and he came to Phoenix and played PF/C with Nash and became more productive.

Randolph needs to downsize a bit, play more like a small forward than a center...but maybe Nash's system (yes, his system, not Gentry's) will do him some good.

For Phoenix, it's not ideal because they are still going to lack a true power forward up front, but the idea of a pick and roll with a "big" that has more length than Warrick? It could be good for both the team and Randolph.

Randolph needs to be stuck at the small forward position. He's absolutely horrible at the five (meaning, even worse than he is at the four), and I don't know why anyone would want him to play center.

He's a SF/PF, and he belongs in an offense that will run him up and down the floor, taking advantage of the smaller SF's that would have trouble defending him when he goes up to finish the break, or coming off a screen and getting the mismatch (like the Suns did with Diaw).

It's kind of weird when I mention Diaw...because it's sort of the reverse of his career. Diaw was being played as a smaller player in Atlanta, sometimes playing the two-guard position, and he came to Phoenix and played PF/C with Nash and became more productive.

Randolph needs to downsize a bit, play more like a small forward than a center...but maybe Nash's system (yes, his system, not Gentry's) will do him some good.

For Phoenix, it's not ideal because they are still going to lack a true power forward up front, but the idea of a pick and roll with a "big" that has more length than Warrick? It could be good for both the team and Randolph.

Sums it up pretty well. However, I'm not sure if Randolph could play the 3 because he really isn't a great ball handler and he can't shoot. lol.

• Owner

Sums it up pretty well. However, I'm not sure if Randolph could play the 3 because he really isn't a great ball handler and he can't shoot. lol.

Yeah, that's true. I think it would be best in Nash's system because he can curl off a pick and roll, go straight to the rim and look for a pass. Never really has to handle the ball if Nash is dominating it.

Teams would have to adjust to him just to fit him into the lineups, and that may be why he's been a disappointment.

Yeah, that's true. I think it would be best in Nash's system because he can curl off a pick and roll, go straight to the rim and look for a pass. Never really has to handle the ball if Nash is dominating it.

Teams would have to adjust to him just to fit him into the lineups, and that may be why he's been a disappointment.

Yeah, I mean, he's so incredibly raw in his skill set that basically he's horrendous at everything besides dunking the basketball and being a good athlete. He's just not ready to contribute at this level. He never really even impressed me in college, which is what baffled me about him being picked so high.