Sheridan: Melo Will Only Accept Extension With NYK

Teletopez

Yeah, so I remembered to put Sheridan's name in the title for a specific reason.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/505016/SheridanTweet-tz-290_medium.jpg

Anthony, who has yet to sign a three-year, $64.47 million extension that is on the table and can become a free agent next summer, was back in Denver after scoring 31 points Sunday against the Knicks, the team many believe he wants to join. ESPN.com reported after the Knicks' 129-125 win at Madison Square Garden that Anthony has told the Nuggets he only would sign the extension if traded to New York .

But Anthony emphatically denied that report.

"No,'' Anthony said when asked if there's any truth to it. "I haven't talked to Masai (Ujiri, the Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations) about who I would sign an extension with, and who I want to sign with. I've never had that conversation.''

Ujiri said he prefers to keep all conversations with Anthony private. Sources close to the situation agreed with Anthony that he hasn't told the Nuggets the only team he will sign an extension for is the Knicks.

Fanhouse

The Decision had everything to do with basketball. Just because it was physically "off the court" doesn't mean it didn't. You don't seem to grasp the concept there.

Kobe's trial did not change the league. The Lakers were still a threat. Bryant came right out of a trial, missed part of the Denver game (where the trial was being held) and hit a game-winner to beat the Nuggets that same night. It had absolutely nothing to do with the game of basketball.

yeah, but my point was that if a player is to be judged, he should be judged as a person and not strictly as an athlete. what LeBron or Kobe do on the court don't necessarily constitute who they are as people. just because LeBron danced around the court that one game, doesn't necessarily mean he's an arrogant person all the time. we judge people, not players; hence all the media coverage that surrounded the Tiger Woods/Kobe Bryant fiascoes when they occurred.

You're being ignorant. No NBA player, that is in this game right now, has raped or murdered anyone. If they robbed someone, I sure don't know about it...and they haven't done it recently, or we would know. It would be frowned upon, but it has nothing to do with the game of basketball.

yeah, but this ties back to what I was saying about judging people and not just players. I'm saying that if an athlete were to hypothetically rape or murder, would we overlook it simply because it wasn't sports related?

Plus, that's a crime. You go to prison for those three. Cheating on your wife isn't. Weird that you would put those three in the same discussion, though...

:glasses:

Nobody cares if you criticize Kobe's game, or even how he is as a person...but you're not going to call him a rapist, just like I wouldn't allow anyone to call Gilbert Arenas a murderer because he possessed a gun in the locker room. Don't become Diesel. He did the same garbage, hating Bryant so much he resorted to ridiculous comments that weren't true, and it's considered baiting. I'm pretty sure you don't want people to think you're our next Diesel.

fair enough. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. my intentions here are to discuss basketball and to have mature debates with people. I'll refrain from things that could be considered baiting.

• Owner
yeah, but my point was that if a player is to be judged, he should be judged as a person and not strictly as an athlete. what LeBron or Kobe do on the court don't necessarily constitute who they are as people. just because LeBron danced around the court that one game, doesn't necessarily mean he's an arrogant person all the time. we judge people, not players; hence all the media coverage that surrounded the Tiger Woods/Kobe Bryant fiascoes when they occurred.

Other than the trial, which was in 2003, why do you hate Kobe? Unless Kate Faber was your sister or you're related to Vanessa Bryant, I don't see the reason for it. LeBron's actions have all come within the last 1-2 years.

Danced around that ONE game? He did it in almost every win they had. Which game do you think I was talking about? The most severe instance of it was against the Bulls...but even Cavaliers fans on RCF thought it was annoying and embarrassing throughout the season, also...and that was when he was leading them to 60+ wins.

My point is, Bryant's image has been repaired, beyond a shadow of a doubt. There are still fans who are flipping out about the 2003 incident, but it has nothing to do with them, their team, or the game...so clinching something like that for so long is a bit weird, don't you think?

But if LeBron and the Heat beat the Lakers on Christmas Day, and he's dancing around the court (he probably won't because Riley would put a boot in his ass), that would give me another reason to hate him.

You can hate Kobe the person...but we're talking what Carmelo and LeBron are doing to affect more than one team in this league (LeBron and multiple teams, Melo and Denver/NY/NJ). There's a big difference between what you do well outside of a basketball court, and what you do that affects the game of basketball and the fans who both support, and don't support, your play and your team.

• Owner

Yeah, so I remembered to put Sheridan's name in the title for a specific reason.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/505016/SheridanTweet-tz-290_medium.jpg

Fanhouse

I have a feeling Melo doesn't want to lose too much support from his fans in Denver, so it makes sense to deny the report.

The only way I'll change my mind about that is if he signs his extension somewhere else, other than Denver and New York...because after all, Melo has given us every indication he wants to live in NY.

Other than the trial, which was in 2003, why do you hate Kobe?

why I hate Kobe:

• got Shaq out of LA
  • disrespected Bynum publicly
  • made a public trade demand
  • disrespected Shaq after winning title last year
  • brings his family onto the court after winning titles
  • everyone in SoCal thinks he's God

I could do this all day, but I have homework still lol.

You can hate Kobe the person...but we're talking what Carmelo and LeBron are doing to affect more than one team in this league (LeBron and multiple teams, Melo and Denver/NY/NJ). There's a big difference between what you do well outside of a basketball court, and what you do that affects the game of basketball and the fans who both support, and don't support, your play and your team.

I still don't understand why you're hating on Melo.

what's so bad about wanting to play in New York?

Edited by HOV

Melo has given us every indication he wants to live in NY.

And again, is there a problem with this? Free Agency was created so players could choose their management after becoming a veteran player. Melo has earned the right to play where he wants. I still don't see how can call him a punk, he has never said anything publicly about not signing an extension with another, everything we have is reports, reports, reports. Even if the reports are true, what is wrong with a guy being honest about the situation?

• Owner
got Shaq out of LA

disrespected Bynum publicly

made a public trade demand

disrespected Shaq after winning title last year

brings his family onto the court after winning titles

everyone in SoCal thinks he's God

He didn't run Shaq out. It's a fact that Shaq demanded $28 million a year from Jerry Buss, and Buss told him it wasn't going to happen. I can find a link somewhere for that.

The public trade demand, that's fine if you hate him for that. Some still bring it up. I am still 110% sure he did it to bring in talent, though, and even Magic Johnson believed he did.

He didn't diss Shaq in a way that was meant to be insulting. Kobe and Shaq are actually friends off the court. I didn't even know they were until two seasons ago. He was doing it in a joking manner, maybe even the way O'Neal was (which, at first, I thought otherwise).

Brings his family onto the court after winning titles? I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. The season is over, and he wants to share his earnings with his daughters and Vanessa. Did you watch the Bulls in the early 90's and see who was on the court with Jordan when he won his first or second title (don't remember which one it was)? And, I'm pretty sure Shaq had his family on the court when he won his title in Miami. I don't see why that would be an issue. I think it's great.

Your last reason, I actually understand...but you have to keep in mind that Kobe Bryant is going to have a statue right next to Magic's. My friends went to Chicago, and they said people still walk around in Jordan jerseys, and wear them to games. A lot of them. I thought they were just being stupid because they love Jordan to death, but my girlfriend went there three years ago, and she told me the same exact thing, not even knowing what they had said.

Not to turn this into a Kobe/Jordan discussion, though. It's just that a lot of people consider Kobe the greatest Laker of all-time, and they have a legit reason to. He's got five rings, as many as Magic, and he has knocked out all of Baylor's scoring records AND is the longest-tenured Laker of all-time. He also has a three-peat under his belt, something Magic, Kareem, West, Wilt and Baylor don't have (only Mikan accomplished it once, in the early 50's, with limited teams in the league...and Shaq is the other, of course). If he gets his second three-peat, that will be yet another milestone.

There's nothing bad about wanting to play in New York. The problem is, he's wanting JUST the Knicks, and he's not signing any extension with any other team, and this is all happening in November and December.

If Carmelo is going to be that picky, he should've just left it all on the table, let it all play out, and become a free agent in July, no matter where he's at by the end of February. All he EVER had to say was, "I want to become a free agent in 2011, so I won't sign an extension with the Nuggets." That's it. Then, in July, he can go anywhere.

• Owner

And again, is there a problem with this? Free Agency was created so players could choose their management after becoming a veteran player. Melo has earned the right to play where he wants. I still don't see how can call him a punk, he has never said anything publicly about not signing an extension with another, everything we have is reports, reports, reports. Even if the reports are true, what is wrong with a guy being honest about the situation?

...he's not a free agent.

why I hate Kobe:

• got Shaq out of LA
  • disrespected Bynum publicly
  • made a public trade demand
  • disrespected Shaq after winning title last year
  • brings his family onto the court after winning titles
  • everyone in SoCal thinks he's God

I could do this all day, but I have homework still lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UziUhf1ukw

He didn't run Shaq out. It's a fact that Shaq demanded $28 million a year from Jerry Buss, and Buss told him it wasn't going to happen. I can find a link somewhere for that.

The public trade demand, that's fine if you hate him for that. Some still bring it up. I am still 110% sure he did it to bring in talent, though, and even Magic Johnson believed he did.

He didn't diss Shaq in a way that was meant to be insulting. Kobe and Shaq are actually friends off the court. I didn't even know they were until two seasons ago. He was doing it in a joking manner, maybe even the way O'Neal was (which, at first, I thought otherwise).

Brings his family onto the court after winning titles? I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. The season is over, and he wants to share his earnings with his daughters and Vanessa. Did you watch the Bulls in the early 90's and see who was on the court with Jordan when he won his first or second title (don't remember which one it was)? And, I'm pretty sure Shaq had his family on the court when he won his title in Miami. I don't see why that would be an issue. I think it's great.

Your last reason, I actually understand...but you have to keep in mind that Kobe Bryant is going to have a statue right next to Magic's. My friends went to Chicago, and they said people still walk around in Jordan jerseys, and wear them to games. A lot of them. I thought they were just being stupid because they love Jordan to death, but my girlfriend went there three years ago, and she told me the same exact thing, not even knowing what they had said.

Not to turn this into a Kobe/Jordan discussion, though. It's just that a lot of people consider Kobe the greatest Laker of all-time, and they have a legit reason to. He's got five rings, as many as Magic, and he has knocked out all of Baylor's scoring records AND is the longest-tenured Laker of all-time. He also has a three-peat under his belt, something Magic, Kareem, West, Wilt and Baylor don't have (only Mikan accomplished it once, in the early 50's, with limited teams in the league...and Shaq is the other, of course). If he gets his second three-peat, that will be yet another milestone.

that's all good, man. I'm just never going to like Kobe; most hardcore Jordan fans don't. I'm not saying he's the worst guy in the world, but he's just done certain things over the years that didn't sit well with me. everyone needs their villain and I'll admit Kobe is mine.

There's nothing bad about wanting to play in New York. The problem is, he's wanting JUST the Knicks, and he's not signing any extension with any other team, and this is all happening in November and December.

If Carmelo is going to be that picky, he should've just left it all on the table, let it all play out, and become a free agent in July, no matter where he's at by the end of February. All he EVER had to say was, "I want to become a free agent in 2011, so I won't sign an extension with the Nuggets." That's it. Then, in July, he can go anywhere.

that's totally unrealistic. Denver isn't going to just let him come off the books. if they know he wants out, they're going to trade him. that way, they can get something in exchange before the deadline. what you're saying is that Melo should play out the season and sign where he wants in the summer. I'm sure that's fine by Melo, but the Nuggets have other plans.

I said Kobe disrespected Shaq; I never said Shaq didn't disrespect Kobe. besides, that little bit was done jokingly. Kobe actually meant what he said last summer.

• Owner

that's totally unrealistic. Denver isn't going to just let him come off the books. if they know he wants out, they're going to trade him. that way, they can get something in exchange before the deadline. what you're saying is that Melo should play out the season and sign where he wants in the summer. I'm sure that's fine by Melo, but the Nuggets have other plans.

Other than the Knicks, no other team will take Melo in February, unless he signs the extension first. Trades are a two-way street.

I said Kobe disrespected Shaq; I never said Shaq didn't disrespect Kobe. besides, that little bit was done jokingly. Kobe actually meant what he said last summer.

Now wait a minute...I can pull up a lot of Shaq quotes where he has slammed Bryant well before Kobe said that about him last summer. Did you see the interview, by the way? Kobe laughed after he said it.

Again, you can hate Kobe for whatever reason, but I don't feel like it's fine to hate the dude for something like that OR for putting his kids on the court after the season is over. He's cocky on the court...that's a reason to hate him (even though Jordan was as well). He's the closest to MJ, and people say it all the time...a reason to despise Bryant (and that's probably the biggest reason for you, really).

I love Jordan. He's the GOAT. I don't like many other Jordan fans who seem to overrate him. It's incredibly difficult to overrate a nearly perfect player, but there are many who still do it...and the worst part is when they do it by slamming everyone else that has played in his era or outside of it.

• Like 1

Other than the Knicks, no other team will take Melo in February, unless he signs the extension first. Trades are a two-way street.

yeah, but I still don't see the problem. if Denver wanted more flexibility, they should have traded him earlier. it wouldn't be fair to Melo if he just signed an extension with whatever team acquires him. he has the right to refuse that and sign a new deal with whatever team he chooses; that's the whole point of a contract.

Now wait a minute...I can pull up a lot of Shaq quotes where he has slammed Bryant well before Kobe said that about him last summer. Did you see the interview, by the way? Kobe laughed after he said it.

he still meant it, though. people can laugh and be serious at the same time.

Again, you can hate Kobe for whatever reason, but I don't feel like it's fine to hate the dude for something like that OR for putting his kids on the court after the season is over. He's cocky on the court...that's a reason to hate him (even though Jordan was as well). He's the closest to MJ, and people say it all the time...a reason to despise Bryant (and that's probably the biggest reason for you, really).

I don't care that he's cocky. I like that in players, actually. the constant comparisons to Jordan probably play a role in my hate for Kobe.

• Owner

he has the right to refuse that and sign a new deal with whatever team he chooses

He doesn't have the right yet. That's just it.

Until he's a free agent, he's on Denver's payroll.

You guys keep saying that he can sign wherever he wants, go wherever...and that's true, after July 1st.

The only right Carmelo has, today, is the right to refuse the extension offer made by the Denver Nuggets. I don't have a problem with him doing that.

What I DO have a problem with, though, is him practically saying he's not going to be in Denver after this season, and that he wants to go to New York and nowhere else...and doing all of this while he's still under contract with the Nuggets. That means that the Knicks can put out half the offer they thought they would need, and if the Nuggets don't accept it by the February deadline, they are screwed and will lose Melo to free agency.

Melo isn't thinking, though, because if that happens, the Nuggets can turn right around and just let him walk in July, not going with a sign-and-trade, and that knocks off one year of his contract automatically. Plus, if the new CBA cuts only CURRENT player salaries and doesn't take away from past salaries (which is possible), Melo loses 25-30% of what he can make in a year PLUS loses yet another year of the contract.

If it's true that the Nets are another team that Melo will consider, it does give the Nuggets one more to deal with (and the potential of bringing in Favors), but that doesn't dismiss the fact that he has handled all of this poorly with what seems to be a nasty ending for the Nuggets, if not for both.

Had all of this stayed behind closed doors, which Melo obviously didn't want, Denver could've actually gotten a better deal from the Knicks or Nets (given that they would think many other teams would be involved)...but, hey, why would Melo want that, when all it does is remove potential teammates from his future team?

He's disrespecting Denver with no intentions of giving back to them, no intentions of staying, and it's nothing I can say I'll stand by 100%.

so basically, you're blaming Melo for being smart lol. of course he wants to screw Denver - they're going to become his competition. why in the world would he want to benefit his future opposition? I don't think he's disrespecting Denver, either. disrespecting them would be letting them get nothing in exchange and doing 'The Decision, pt 2.' he's at least giving them the opportunity to get something in exchange, even if it's only from one or two teams.

• Owner

so basically, you're blaming Melo for being smart lol. of course he wants to screw Denver - they're going to become his competition. why in the world would he want to benefit his future opposition? I don't think he's disrespecting Denver, either. disrespecting them would be letting them get nothing in exchange and doing 'The Decision, pt 2.' he's at least giving them the opportunity to get something in exchange, even if it's only from one or two teams.

If he agrees to sign the extension and goes to New Jersey, my opinion will change slightly because the trade will give Denver exactly what they want for him.

But he still handled the situation poorly from the start.

On another note, I read an article where Denver wants Landry Fields in a trade for Melo..

I don't know if I'd do that.. I think I'd trade anyone else but Amare, Felton, & Fields.

Fields has brought the word hustle back to NY. Dude is so talented. I feel like he could be a great player in a few years.