Sheridan: Melo Will Only Accept Extension With NYK

Teletopez

Its also one thing to demand a trade, which has been time plenty of times by players. But its another to basically let everyone know that you're going to a different team next year and letting it go public.

So you rather have your franchise player leave without any warning than give your team a chance to actually receive some valuable assets in return?

Let's also keep in mind that the media will normally find ways to bring trade demands to the public. It's pretty easy to figure out when a player wants out.

So you rather have your franchise player leave without any warning than give your team a chance to actually receive some valuable assets in return?

Let's also keep in mind that the media will normally find ways to bring trade demands to the public. It's pretty easy to figure out when a player wants out.

I'd rather the guy demand a trade to be honest. My problem with Melo is that he's holding up the deals himself basically because he's so set on one team. He's basically killing Denver's chances of getting anything for him because why would the Nets give up good, young talent to get him for half a season?

I'd rather the guy demand a trade to be honest. My problem with Melo is that he's holding up the deals himself basically because he's so set on one team. He's basically killing Denver's chances of getting anything for him because why would the Nets give up good, young talent to get him for half a season?

it's his career; he shouldn't have to want to go to several teams if he doesn't want to. I think you fail to realize Melo has more leverage than Denver. if they don't trade him, he'll just leave this summer and they get nothing. they can trade him anywhere they want, but he won't have to sign an extension.

it's his career; he shouldn't have to want to go to several teams if he doesn't want to. I think you fail to realize Melo has more leverage than Denver. if they don't trade him, he'll just leave this summer and they get nothing. they can trade him anywhere they want, but he won't have to sign an extension.

Except they can't trade him anywhere because people know he isn't going to sign the extension unless its the Knicks. No one is going to give up what Denver is asking for to get a guy for half a season.

Except they can't trade him anywhere because people know he isn't going to sign the extension unless its the Knicks. No one is going to give up what Denver is asking for to get a guy for half a season.

well, I guess that's their fault for waiting this long to consider trades. any way you slice it, I don't see how Melo can be blamed for anything. he just wants to do what he thinks is best for his family and career and I don't see how anyone could be mad about that.

• Owner

LeBron and Melo are both punks, one for telling Cleveland he doesn't want to go ring-chasing and wants to build a champion there (and eventually going against his word, last-second), and the other for demanding a trade and refusing to sign that extension for anyone other than the Knicks.

Denver just needs to deal him to the Eastern Conference for picks and youth, and let that conference stack their top teams with trios of all-stars and superstars, so they can all fight to see who gets beat in the NBA Finals next.

LeBron and Melo are both punks, one for telling Cleveland he doesn't want to go ring-chasing and wants to build a champion there (and eventually going against his word, last-second), and the other for demanding a trade and refusing to sign that extension for anyone other than the Knicks.

Denver just needs to deal him to the Eastern Conference for picks and youth, and let that conference stack their top teams with trios of all-stars and superstars, so they can all fight to see who gets beat in the NBA Finals next.

whoa... uh, you know I like you man, but wtf? you can't tell me your post isn't hypocritical. Kobe demanded a trade several years ago. in fact, he actually went on Steve Smith's radio show and told the whole world he wanted a trade. how is a Melo a punk for this, but not Kobe?

whoa... uh, you know I like you man, but wtf? you can't tell me your post isn't hypocritical. Kobe demanded a trade several years ago. in fact, he actually went on Steve Smith's radio show and told the whole world he wanted a trade. how is a Melo a punk for this, but not Kobe?

But when Kobe had the chance to get traded he shot down every opportunity with his no trade clause. Those trade demands were mostly to get the Lakers front office asses working to get a better team around him more so then moving Kobe himself.

• Owner

Bryant was never going to be traded. He axed every trade on the board on purpose, even to Chicago. He wanted someone like Garnett, and he received Gasol, and it ended up winning the Lakers two extra championships...the team he has been with since his first game.

Once the dust cleared, everyone should've been aware of what he did. He fooled me, and fooled a lot of Lakers fans...but at the end of the day, it's obvious he wasn't going to be traded, nor was he going to accept a trade (using his no-trade clause).

Much, much different situation.

Bryant was never going to be traded. He axed every trade on the board on purpose, even to Chicago. He wanted someone like Garnett, and he received Gasol, and it ended up winning the Lakers two extra championships...the team he has been with since his first game.

Once the dust cleared, everyone should've been aware of what he did. He fooled me, and fooled a lot of Lakers fans...but at the end of the day, it's obvious he wasn't going to be traded, nor was he going to accept a trade (using his no-trade clause).

Much, much different situation.

He's a good actor I mean trashing your teammates in the parking lot of a grocery stores and planning to have it leaked just to build controversy? Smart for a dude that never went to college.

but none of that takes away from the fact he demanded a trade, which if no different from Melo. in fact, Melo isn't even demanding a trade from my understanding; he's just letting Denver know he won't be back, which is much more acceptable imo. it's fine, though, I know I won't change your mind about Kobe. I think that argument is completely ridiculous, but whatever.

I also don't get how you could be mad at Melo for wanting to go only to the Knicks. why is that so wrong? he was born in New York, he played college ball at Syracuse, and I know his wife wants to go there, so what's the problem? why is it so bad that he wants to go there and nowhere else? I just don't get what makes you guys think Melo should go against what he wants simply to appease the Nuggets. it's his career, not theirs.

He's a good actor I mean trashing your teammates in the parking lot of a grocery stores and planning to have it leaked just to build controversy? Smart for a dude that never went to college.

ha, I actually forgot all about that; that was also an extremely pitiful act on his part. I enjoy reading Laker fans' posts about how Kobe demanded a trade for no other reason than to force Mitch into doing something. he didn't actually want to be traded, he just knew going on Steve Smith's radio show and telling the whole world he wanted out was the only way the Lakers would make a deal. I'm sure those were exactly his intentions. ^_^

Edited by HOV

• Owner

Phil trashed Pau a few weeks back, talking about how he gets punked by his brother. Jordan slapped Kerr in the face, and he has thrown his teammates under the bus plenty of times while interviewed during games (stating how they aren't playing well).

Him trashing Bynum was a bad thing to do, but it was warranted. Kidd was still an all-star quality point guard at that time (made the AS team at least once after that), and while all of that is going on, Drew is on his fourth consecutive season with a major knee injury.

Not sure what else to say about it.

ha, I actually forgot all about that; that was also an extremely pitiful act on his part. I enjoy reading Laker fans' posts about how Kobe demanded a trade for no other reason than to force Mitch into doing something. he didn't actually want to be traded, he just knew going on Steve Smith's radio show and telling the whole world he wanted out was the only way the Lakers would make a deal. I'm sure those were exactly his intentions.

Here's a fact: if he wanted traded to Chicago, he wouldn't have voided the trades (two or three of them, in fact). If he wanted to go to the Clippers, he wouldn't have voided that deal. It was written, over and over again, that he was voiding deals that Chicago and the Clips would lay out for Mitch. Same with Atlanta when they phoned.

Do you think Melo would void a trade to the Knicks if he had a no-trade clause? Haha, no way.

Would LeBron have voided a trade to Miami? Bosh to Miami? When Garnett wanted out of Minnesota, would he have voided a deal to the Lakers? Did he dispute going to Boston?

When a player wants out, they ask for the trade, and then they take it. Kobe voided at least 6-7 trade offers from other teams. It's not hard to figure out what his intentions were. People found reason to hate on him because he won rings with Shaq...then they found reason to hate when he was accused of rape. They found reason to hate when he asked for a trade. Now they have found reason to hate because he's got two more. Puts a smile on my face. Kobe stated before that he would be a Laker for life, he declined trades that would've given him a better opportunity to win a championship (in the East, on a better team than the Gasol-less Lakers). He didn't ditch the Lakers for the Clippers, when they offered him the cash and a way out of a relationship with Shaq in 2004. He has never opted out to become a free agent. It's all right there in front of you guys.

He's loyal, and he knows where he should be, win or lose (usually winning). Can't say the same for others. Ironically, the Heat and Knicks fans are going to be pissed off when someone opposes what LeBron did, and what Melo will eventually do, but I definitely understand why.

• Owner

Haha...

The truth is that Kupchak attempted to trade Kobe numerous times. Deals were discussed with a number of teams, the most notable being the Chicago Bulls, but each time Kobe shot them down. It could be, in fact, that Kobe never wanted to be traded. He has had chances to leave the Lakers, even considered becoming a Clipper for a while, but in the end he rejected every attempt made to land him in a different city. In the end he applied so much pressure that the rest of the team stepped up - from Kupchak to the Lakers' supporting cast.

Kobe forced the Lakers to be all they could be. His remarks about his lackluster supporting cast pushed those players to raise their collective games to a higher level. Sasha Vujacic, Luke Walton, Ronny Turiaf, and Andrew Bynum (pre-injury) all turned their games up a notch. Kupchak stepped up his game by trading away a bunch of nothing to land All-Star Pau Gasol, the move that ultimately put the Lakers over the top in the Western Conference, and the re-addition of Derek Fisher should not be underestimated. And, of course, Kobe himself put together an MVP season.

This story can be told a number of ways. Different people will have different viewpoints to lend, and what actually winds up being remembered will probably be some creative version of the truth. At the end of the day, though, it was Kobe Bryant who pushed the Lakers to the NBA Finals. He did it with his play on the court, and he did it with the pressure he exerted on his franchise off the court. It's clear that Kobe didn't want to be traded; rather, he wanted to be a part of another era of Laker greatness.

The results speak for themselves.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=8903

Bryant talked to Dan Patrick on ESPN Radio and seemed to reconsider slightly.

"I'm so tired of talking," Bryant said. "It's tough. I always dreamed about retiring as a Laker. I just hope and hope that something can be resolved. Something can be figured out. Just something so I can stay here and be in this city and be with the team I love."

Bryant told Patrick he talked to Jackson after talking to Smith and felt resassured.

"When Phil and I spoke, he was optimistic and determined that we'll both be back," Bryant told Patrick. "Phil is somebody I listen to. I lean on him a lot. He assured me things are going to be OK. Things are going to be all right. Don't go full bore just yet. Take a deep breath and let us work these things out and everything will be all right. Which was very encouraging.

"I don't want to go anywhere else. I want to be here for the rest of my career. It was encouraging to hear that."

Later Monday, he had two different messages for the Los Angeles-area media.

"I can only hope that they do something because I don't want to go no place else. I don't want to," he told radio station KLAC. "I want to stay here. I hope they can do something."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2886927

SECAUCUS, N.J., May 30, 2007 -- According to numerous published reports early Wednesday, Kobe Bryant, who led the NBA in scoring this past season, said he wants out of Los Angeles. Later in the day, the perennial All-Star was quoted as saying he wants to be a Laker for the rest of his career. When a player of his caliber makes these kind of statements, of course it generates buzz. NBA.com is here to help you stay in the know.

http://www.nba.com/playoffs2007/news/kobe_trade_070530.html

And by the way, direct quote from The Jordan Rules, page 169...

"We can’t get anything done because of him (Kraus). If he (owner) wants to keep Kraus (GM), fine, I’ll tell him to trade me.”

Yikes...haha. Guess we know what both players wanted after all.

I thought the reason Kobe kept voiding the trades was because the Lakers kept insisting that Luol Deng (Deng was pretty hyped up at the time) be involved in the trade, and Kobe didn't want to go to another depleted team. Would Melo accept a trade to the Knicks if he knew that Amar'e and Gallinari were switching jerseys as well? I'm not sure but back when Kobe was supposedly on the market most teams ended up gutting their roster in trade offers for him because of his high salary and of course godlike trade value, which made the chances that all 3 sides would get what they wanted were very slim to begin with. At least this is way how I remember it, my memory from back then is pretty hazy.

Edited by Dash

• Owner

I thought the reason Kobe kept voiding the trades was because the Lakers kept insisting that Luol Deng (Deng was pretty hyped up at the time) be involved in the trade, and Kobe didn't want to go to another depleted team. Would Melo accept a trade to the Knicks if he knew that Amar'e and Gallinari were switching jerseys as well? I'm not sure but back when Kobe was supposedly on the market most teams ended up gutting their roster in trade offers for him because of his high salary and of course godlike trade value, which made the chances that all 3 sides would get what they wanted were very slim to begin with. At least this is way how I remember it, my memory from back then is pretty hazy.

Melo wanted to go to the Knicks well before Amare signed with them.

And Bryant was retracting his comment that same day he gave it to Steven A. Smith. He threw it back out there later probably because he spoke to Phil a second time, and both he and Kobe felt it was a good move.

Again, Bryant could've signed elsewhere BEFORE all of that even took place. The Clippers had the offer on the table, and he decided against it. Chicago had an offer, and he turned his head. Had he just become a free agent, he wouldn't have had to demand a trade 2-3 years later.

And Chicago did offer without including Deng, one of their last offers. It included Ben Wallace (who was making $16 million), Hinrich and Nocioni. They were going to retain both Deng and Gordon (and Tyrus). LA showed interest because Hinrich was the perfect triangle guard, Nocioni was the shooter they wanted to bring in, and Wallace was still putting up 11 boards and over 2 blocks per game, in 35 minutes (unlike he is today). Chicago offered PJ Brown in a deal with Deng, trying to keep Gordon, Hinrich, and Tyrus...that was probably the second or third offer. The first was Deng and Gordon, if I recall correctly, which is what you're referring to.

• Owner

Ah well I am misinformed lol. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm looking for a quote by Phil, where he stated that Kobe never wanted dealt. It's somewhere. It would be nice if there was a site that logged all of these important quotes, because a few months back, I was looking for one from Jordan, where he stated he wanted to go back to Chicago and play his final two seasons, instead of Washington, but I never found it. :(

Also, I distinctly remember an article on Yahoo that had a couple of trades listed (that were offered), and there was one from another team I can't remember, and it was a complete rip-off in favor of that particular team...and Kobe declined it.

I remember all of this mainly because an OTR member was all over my ass about me supporting a trade. At the time, I really thought Bryant wanted it, and I really thought the Lakers were going to rebuild and expect him and Phil to do something they shouldn't have had to do (Mitch had told both Kobe and Phil they were going to bring in a big man to operate with in the triangle back in the 2005-06 season, which is one reason why Phil decided to return to coaching...a small reason, of course...and they went two seasons without doing it, focused more on the guard position).

It seemed like only Lakers fans were interested in the deals being made, which makes sense. Most everyone else wanted to see Kobe traded, no matter what the team, who the players, what the situation.

Lol, what did he do that made it seem obvious that he would re-sign with Cleveland? He heard everyone's proposal and when Bosh said he wouldn't go to Cleveland Miami became the clear choice. If anything, he was Cleveland's to lose.

Also, in regards to CP3, all those rumors were basically hearsay at that point and absolutely nothing has come out of any of them. That tells me all I need to know.

lol dude...

"I got a goal, and it's a huge goal, and that's to bring an NBA championship here to Cleveland," James said. "And I won't stop until I get it."