Phillies reject Jays' offer for Halladay

bigdog17k

Relax...doesn't mean a deal won't get done, just means they are not going to give both Happ and Drabek, which I think everybody (including Toronto) has known all along. Even considering that, we are still by far the best match. Doesn't look like too many teams want to even come close to what it will take to get Doc. I heard the Angels are more interested now, but I still don't see them giving up Wood+++, which is what it would take from them. I still feel confident that the Phillies will get something done. Personally I would do it at all costs, but I see where Amaro is coming from here. If he could get them to substitute Carlos Carrasco and maybe one other mid level prospect for either Happ or Drabek, I think the Phillies pull the trigger.

This sounds like what happened with santana the Yankees declined a package the could afford to do and then the mets swooped in and gave mid-line prospects for him.

What are you talking about? Sounds absolutely nothing like that. I don't think the Blue Jays will [expletive] this up like the Twins did.

What are you talking about? Sounds absolutely nothing like that. I don't think the Blue Jays will [expletive] this up like the Twins did.

You're dumb then I just explained how it sounds exactly how it sounds like it. The Twins wanted Kennedey and Cabrera from the Yankees and the Yankees said that was too much. Then the Mets came in with a worse offer and took him.

You're dumb then I just explained how it sounds exactly how it sounds like it. The Twins wanted Kennedey and Cabrera from the Yankees and the Yankees said that was too much. Then the Mets came in with a worse offer and took him.

Right, except a "worse" offer is not going to get it done in this case.

You're dumb then I just explained how it sounds exactly how it sounds like it.

If you are going to call somebody dumb, please proofread, at least.

Phillies have the National League by the throat right now.

If they pull this off we have made the kill.

The front office need to understand with Roy they could win again this year and possibly be the favs to win the trophy for the next 2 years.

He is proven while they are just prospects.

Phillies have the National League by the throat right now.

If they pull this off we have made the kill.

The front office need to understand with Roy they could win again this year and possibly be the favs to win the trophy for the next 2 years.

He is proven while they are just prospects.

The reason the Phillies are slower to pull the trigger than most teams is because they built a world championship on drafting building from within. Obviously, they are under different circumstances than they were 4-5 years ago so it's not quite the same situation (and I am with you, I want Halladay here at all costs), but I do understand why they are thinking it over. Anybody remember the rumored Ryan Howard and Cole Hamels for Kip Wells trade that Ed Wade almost pulled off back in 03 or 04?

I'm hoping that the Phillies don't get Holladay this would have to provoke the Dodgers to make some kind of move. And the Jays are asking to much. From what I know they're asking about 5-6 minor league players from the Dodgers, or 2-3 current players.

The Jays don't actually have to trade Roy...but if they do it better be for Matt Stairs.

Actually I think they do have to trade him. They have already tried to trade him and if they dont they cant just turn around and tell Roy "its ok we were just kidding!" Plus they have already said that Roy has told them he will pursue free agency in 2010 and probably wont resign them. The Jays are going to trade him, but they might have to settle for less considering they have already made it clear they have to trade him NOW. If they wait until next season, his value will lower significantly because he will be in the last year of his contract. Teams will want Roy for this postseason and all of next season, thats why his value is so high right now.

Actually I think they do have to trade him. They have already tried to trade him and if they dont they cant just turn around and tell Roy "its ok we were just kidding!" Plus they have already said that Roy has told them he will pursue free agency in 2010 and probably wont resign them. The Jays are going to trade him, but they might have to settle for less considering they have already made it clear they have to trade him NOW. If they wait until next season, his value will lower significantly because he will be in the last year of his contract. Teams will want Roy for this postseason and all of next season, thats why his value is so high right now.

That doesn't happen when you have J.P. Riccardi as your GM.

He's already said he's not going to trade Roy unless he's "Wow'd" by an offer. Which just sucks for Jays fans, we've needed to rebuild for about 5 years.

That doesn't happen when you have J.P. Riccardi as your GM.

He's already said he's not going to trade Roy unless he's "Wow'd" by an offer. Which just sucks for Jays fans, we've needed to rebuild for about 5 years.

Haha of course hes going to say that. He has no choice, hes going to trade him regardless. He is still trying to keep the little bit of leverage that he has left.

Haha of course hes going to say that. He has no choice, hes going to trade him regardless. He is still trying to keep the little bit of leverage that he has left.

Again, you don't know Riccardi. He's the single handily the worst GM in all of baseball. If anyone could find a way to mess this situation up and not trade him, it's JP.

Again, you don't know Riccardi. He's the single handily the worst GM in all of baseball. If anyone could find a way to mess this situation up and not trade him, it's JP.

I think that honor actually goes to Neal Huntington.

Jays already shopped Halladay.

Yeah, I know. Everyone and there mother knows that. It doesn't mean he is going to be dealt. Hundreds of players in all professional sports have been "shopped" around to other teams. Most of the time it's just to see what the market value is.

I still have an inkling suspicion that Riccardi doesn't "find what he likes" and keeps Halladay. That would anger me, even though I'm a big Doc fan. He needs to do whats best for the club, and finishing third or fourth for the last 15 years isn't what most fans have in mind. In this division, you need about 3 great pitchers, a great bullpen and consistent hitting.

Last year we had some great pitching (Halladay, McGowan, Marcum, etc.) and no hitting. This year we have consistent hitting, but the pitching isn't quite there, due to injuries and youth.

It's an FML situation for Blue Jays fans.