Dirk or Amare?

AboveLegit

I honestly don't know... Amar'e is a lot better when he's near the rim but Dirk is good at the mid-range. Dirk has Chandler and Haywood playing center as opposed to the Knicks who really don't have a good rebounder so that's why Amar'e probably has more rebounds. But all in all I think Amar'e is playing better. I like both players though.

First of all they're both having a great season so far, a MVP season indeed. Statistically they're very close, but it's important to consider that Amaré's playing in D'Antoni's system which is the best system to have great stats... While Dirk is playing in more defensive minded team. Also it's easier to have great stats when you have less good teammates and Dirk's teammates are clerly better than Stoudemire's this year, this has also to be taken in consideration. And that is why I would give the edge to Dirk here. Might I add that Dirk's FG%, for a player who shoots that often from mid range and long range, is absolutely outstanding.

Defensively, well Dirk is not and will never be a great defender but he at least improved in that area since the Avery Johnson days. While Amaré just has no defense at all... Advantage Dirk there too.

And in terms of leadership and clutchness there is no doubt that Dirk is the better player there too. There is no one in the league that is more clutch than Dirk right now, except Kobe. Dirk is also better on the free throw line and a better passer than Amaré.

Finally Dirk is right now the favorite for the MVP as he's clearly the best player among the three best teams in the league right now. So I don't see how a case can be made against Dirk here.

• Like 4

And in terms of leadership and clutchness there is no doubt that Dirk is the better player there too. There is no one in the league that is more clutch than Dirk right now, except Kobe. Dirk is also better on the free throw line and a better passer than Amaré.

In a nutshell, this is the difference. Dirk is a proven leader, one of the most clutch players in the league, a better passer, better defender and overall more efficient.

Ok...his team is a whole lot better too?

Yes it is. We have only lost 5 games. I give Amare his props, ball don't lie but I have to give Dirk the edge here (no homerisim either) What you guys are looking at is who is better in points and Rebounds.

Rebounds: Amare

Assists: Same Point for both)

Steals: Amare

Blocks: Dirk

FG% Dirk

FT% Dirk

3P% Amare (but I sure as hell dont want him taking a 3 with 4 seconds left.. maybe an Inside shot

Tied at 4 points each. Better Record Mavs..

Dirk Gets the edge here.

Edited by deestillballin

No Amar'e is clearly the better player, sorry. Dirk has a great supporting cast, and is a terrific player, but Amar'e is a top 5 in the league this year.

Although these lists are hard to do...Probably goes something like this...

1. Kobe

2. LeBron

3. Durant

4. Amar'e

5. Carmelo

6. Nowitzki

7. Wade

8. Rose

9. Howard

10. Pierce

First of all they're both having a great season so far, a MVP season indeed. Statistically they're very close, but it's important to consider that Amaré's playing in D'Antoni's system which is the best system to have great stats... While Dirk is playing in more defensive minded team. Also it's easier to have great stats when you have less good teammates and Dirk's teammates are clerly better than Stoudemire's this year, this has also to be taken in consideration. And that is why I would give the edge to Dirk here. Might I add that Dirk's FG%, for a player who shoots that often from mid range and long range, is absolutely outstanding.

Defensively, well Dirk is not and will never be a great defender but he at least improved in that area since the Avery Johnson days. While Amaré just has no defense at all... Advantage Dirk there too.

Finally Dirk is right now the favorite for the MVP as he's clearly the best player among the three best teams in the league right now. So I don't see how a case can be made against Dirk here.

:glasses:

No Amar'e is clearly the better player, sorry. Dirk has a great supporting cast, and is a terrific player, but Amar'e is a top 5 in the league this year.

1. Kobe

2. LeBron

3. Durant

4. Amar'e

5. Carmelo

6. Nowitzki

7. Wade

8. Rose

9. Howard

10. Pierce

kobe an lebron hasnt even been playing like the top 2 best players in the league this year (IM NOT SAYING THERE NOT THE BEST IM SAYING PLAYIN WISE.)

1. Kobe

2. LeBron

3. Durant

4. Amar'e

5. Carmelo

6. Nowitzki

7. Wade

8. Rose

9. Howard

10. Pierce

if Amar'e can start of playing really well and move up to #4, how come Durant starts off slowly yet somehow becomes the #3 player in the league?

if Amar'e can start of playing really well and move up to #4, how come Durant starts off slowly yet somehow becomes the #3 player in the league?

I did it of a list of who I think are the top 10 NBA players in the NBA. Not that much had to do with this season, just what we've seen over the past few years as well as this season. Currently Durant and LeBron probably aren't 2 and 3 because they haven't been great this season, but they're starting to turn it around. The list was quick and those lists are always pretty stupid and controversial.

With that said, if you don't think Amar'e Stoudemire is a top 10 player in the NBA I really can't have a conversation with you. I mean, it shows you know very little about basketball if you believe that.

Dirk's better but Amar'e is having a better season. Dirk's the better shooter all day. Amar'e is younger more athletic and is the key reason the Knicks are finally having success. Amar'e is leading a young team that has not had players who know how to win and they're winning. Dirk has a veteran team who know how to win that's why they're so good.

Haha. You must not watch many Knicks games...

I've watched atleast 3-4 Knick games this season, and I was one of the first to admit that I underestimated his abilities following the chain of 30 point games. I don't doubt his offensive abilities one bit, but it's difficult for me to put a one dimensional player in my top 10. He gets a lot of weak side blocks, outside of that his defense is mediocre.

Amare is also a horrible rebounder for his size, that fact is that he just doesn't box out, it's as simple as that. He's a decent offensive rebounder, but even that comes in spurts. Imo, Amare should have no troubles averaging over 10 rebounds every game.

It's hard to pass up Dirk's game, he can beat you in so many ways. He's arguably one of the best big man scorers the league has ever seen. He can shoot the three ball with ease, he was post you, and he's underrated when it comes to beating guys off the dribble. I admire Amare's athleticism and midrange game, but Dirk simply changes many defenses because of his offensive arsenal and versatility.

Btw if your making a top 10, my top 10 would look something like this...

1. Kobe Bryant

2. LeBron James

3. Dwayne Wade

4. Dwight Howard

5. Kevin Durant

6. Deron Willliams

7. Carmelo Anthony

8. Chris Paul

9. Derrick Rose

10. Dirk Nowitzki

Amare would probably be anywhere from 10-15 with guys like Brandon Roy, Paul Pierce, Chris Bosh, and Rajon Rondo. I was really surprised that you didn't even mention Deron Williams or Chris Paul in your list.

• Like 1

I've watched atleast 3-4 Knick games this season, and I was one of the first to admit that I underestimated his abilities following the chain of 30 point games. I don't doubt his offensive abilities one bit, but it's difficult for me to put a one dimensional player in my top 10. He gets a lot of weak side blocks, outside of that his defense is mediocre.

Amare is also a horrible rebounder for his size, that fact is that he just doesn't box out, it's as simple as that. He's a decent offensive rebounder, but even that comes in spurts. Imo, Amare should have no troubles averaging over 10 rebounds every game.

It's hard to pass up Dirk's game, he can beat you in so many ways. He's arguably one of the best big man scorers the league has ever seen. He can shoot the three ball with ease, he was post you, and he's underrated when it comes to beating guys off the dribble. I admire Amare's athleticism and midrange game, but Dirk simply changes many defenses because of his offensive arsenal and versatility.

Btw if your making a top 10, my top 10 would look something like this...

1. Kobe Bryant

2. LeBron James

3. Dwayne Wade

4. Dwight Howard

5. Kevin Durant

6. Deron Willliams

7. Carmelo Anthony

8. Chris Paul

9. Derrick Rose

10. Dirk Nowitzki

Amare would probably be anywhere from 10-15 with guys like Brandon Roy, Paul Pierce, Chris Bosh, and Rajon Rondo. I was really surprised that you didn't even mention Deron Williams or Chris Paul in your list.

Amar'e is a very underrated defender. I've seen enough of him to realize it can be erratic at times, meaning he doesn't always put the effort in, but he's a good defender. He isn't great, but he's good. I'd rather have him on my team then Dwight Howard. A guy who is a great rebounder, and a better defender, sure, but at teh end of the game cannot get his own shot, doesn't have near the range of Amar'e (who, people fail to realize can shoot close to the 3 pt line) and can put the ball on the floor and is a 80% FT shooter. Not to mention probably the best pick and roll big man in the game. If not the best, one of the best. I'd definitely take him ahead of Dirk, Howard, and Paul if I were starting a team constructed to win over the next year or two.. obviously the other guys are a bit younger. Probably would rather have him then Williams as well.

Look, if you want to say Amar'e isn't a top 5 player, or that even Dirk is a better overall player then him, I'd respect that. But he's certainly a top 10 player in this league, and he's proven that this year..

As for the list, I didn't put much stock into it, because comparing a guy like Chris Paul to Dwight Howard is borderline retarded. How do you compare them? There is no way. They play two completely different positions, obviously...which is why I always hated making lists like this.

Edited by JYD

1. Kobe

2. LeBron

3. Durant

4. Amar'e

5. Carmelo

6. Nowitzki

7. Wade

8. Rose

9. Howard

10. Pierce

I stopped reading when Amare at #4