Greg Oden ready to bring the joy to his sophomore season

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/medium_blz-odenlv.jpg

Greg Oden ready to bring the joy to his sophomore season

"Greg Oden shouts "take him," as he sprints down the court trying to help slow a fast break during a scrimmage. Later, Oden yells "pick, pick right," to a teammate.

A few possessions later, Oden attempts his version of Hakeem Olajuwon's "Dream Shake" move -- a series of shoulder fakes -- on the baseline before taking a jump hook shot.

The Trail Blazers' young center is rediscovering the joy of playing basketball, as was evident last week as he participated in USA Basketball's minicamp with 20 other rising NBA stars.

"I want to have fun this year," a smiling Oden said. "I'm going to try and enjoy playing."

Oden, glad to have his rookie season behind him, is looking forward to the 2009-10 season. The injuries and inconsistent play of last season continue to fade. The moodiness that surfaced after listening to criticism throughout the season is giving way this summer to a happy, more relaxed Oden. "I saw some teeth. He looked a little bit more relaxed and was talking (on the court)," said Blazers coach Nate McMillan, after watching Oden practice. "He looked comfortable. He looked like he was having some fun.

"I think that's the key. That's the reason these guys took up this game. They loved it, enjoyed it and you should have fun playing it. You gotta put in the effort and the work, but you should enjoy it."

One reason for the change in attitude is Oden's decision to toughen up mentally. Oden acknowledged last season wore him down psychologically the same way Shaquille O'Neal can wear him down physically on the court.

No more.

"I'm just going to go out there and play hard," Oden said. "Go out there, play my game and not worry about what everybody says -- not deal with all the ups and downs. Just go out there and have fun."

Oden said he's going to tune out the critics, the ones ready to give up on him and label him a bust after one NBA season.

"I'm just telling myself it doesn't matter what they think, what matters is what I think," Oden said. "I'm the one who has (to) go out there, and I'm the one who has to live with how I play. No one else."

Portland general manager Kevin Pritchard also noticed Oden's upbeat mood at the minicamp.

"I really liked his positive energy," Pritchard said. "He seemed like he was in good spirits."

Oden has spent most of the summer in Columbus, Ohio, where he has taken classes at Ohio State and worked out, mostly alone. Away from the spotlight in Portland, the time in the Midwest has helped him focus and work on his game. He is lifting weights to gain strength and running for conditioning.

Oden is healthy this summer, allowing him to work hard during the offseason for the first time since the Blazers drafted him in 2007.

"I run stairs instead of running on flat surfaces. It's easier on my knees," Oden said. "Probably about two or three times a week."

Oden said most of his individual on-court work is on offense

-----

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/greg_oden_ready_to_bring_the_j.html