Andrew Luck returning to Stanford

NomarFachix

Sam Bradford got injured last year too, and he turned out great.

And I think his situation is a lot different from Locker. He was going to be drafted based off of his potential, and his true colors came out this year. Luck is mostly a finished product, and unlike Locker, Luck has a team put around him to compete next year and possibly win himself that Heisman.

How's Carson Palmer been since his injury? He's one of the worst QB's in the league. If Luck suffers a serious injury, then he will regret his decision big time.

Hes going to be a junior next year so it not so bad but i understand he will lose a lot money but if he can live up to the hype next year and play as good like this year he will get much more but i understand it a big risk Then again isn't there a chance that we might have a lockout next year for the NFL? He's kinda smart if you ask me.

Edited by CaliCurbStomppa

Some of you guys just don't understand what can happen to him since he is staying st Stanford. Its not just the possibility for injury, but the new CBA.

1. If there is a lock-out, guess what? He makes absolutely nothing next year, but he can finish his college classes that he could finish whenever he wants.

2. Are you guys naive enough to believe that the owners would approve a CBA without a rookie cap? The numbers being thrown around are that the rookie pay scale will be about 50% of what it already is.

C'MON MAN!

We aren't in that locker room, we aren't in that family situation, we just aren't in his shoes so i'm not gonna say this is a terrible decision because there are examples from both sides in terms of quarterbacks going back for another season.

I think it's a fine decision, there are a lot of variables suggesting why he should and shouldn't come out, all of which are valid. However, we shouldn't ridicule a personal decision. He's doing what he thinks is best for him. I'm certainly no expert, so I'll take his opinion over anyone.

The fact that the rookie payscale will be in effect the next time the NFL kicks off their season assists Luck, it doesn't deter him. In this age of uncertainty in the NFL, no player is ever going to make 50 million guaranteed out of college anymore. Sam Bradford is probably lucky enough to be the last guy to really rake in the cash. But that's okay, because it WILL strengthen the NFL. If it's going to sway a player like Luck's decision not to enter the draft early, then it shouldn't be a problem. Luck was simply not going to make 50-60 million guaranteed. No way.

This is a kid who goes to a top five school academically in the country, taking an extremely tough major. Not too mention Oliver Luck is a former NFL quarterback and the AD at a successful athletic school in WVU. Money is not a problem for Luck. If it was, he would've entered, but it's not, so it's a moot point. Back to Stanford. We all know Stanford is a prestigious school. He's the man on campus, he's scheduled to graduate early.

Team wise, Stanford's in a great position to come back and win a National title with Luck at the helm, Harbaugh or not. I actually think part of Luck's decision to announce that he's coming back early is to erase all doubts in hopes to sway Harbaugh to leave after next year. If Harbaugh comes back I have no qualms putting this team five or six in my inaugural rankings next season. He's losing a few receivers, and a couple of offensive lineman but they'll return arguably the best interior lineman in all of college football in DeCastro and would still have the same systems in place.

When's the last time someone was seriously injured and fell because of it? With as good as a surrounding Andrew has? Jake Locker is the easiest example because it happened this year. However, we have to realize Washington's receivers also dropped 45 balls and the skill level on the offensive line is comparable to a JuCo school, it's absolutely horrendous. Plus his two tight ends were kicked out just before the season. Luck doesn't have to worry about that. He really doesn't have to worry about anything but a guaranteed season of football and national championships aspirations, both of which are either assured or in the running for.

I agree with you, but at the end of the day he can always go back to school......with or without a torn ACL. If he suffers a major injury, he can kiss his potential amazing salary away. It's his choice though.

When is the last time that happened in a situation comparable to Andrew Luck's situation? Where a guy was an assured number one pick, came back to school and he suffered a career-ending injury?

This kid is getting an Architecture degree from the University of Stanford, I don't think he has to worry about salary, he can make plenty of it both ways, football and designing houses, stadiums, you name it.

• Like 1

How's Carson Palmer been since his injury? He's one of the worst QB's in the league. If Luck suffers a serious injury, then he will regret his decision big time.

You can get injured at any point in the game, it comes with playing football.

You're acting as if he has no backup plan in case he does get injured or is a total bust in the league. A 4 year degree from Stanford is a great contingency plan. He also has to worry about the NFL playing next season.

There's going to be a rookie pay scale in THIS year's draft if there's a CBA or not. Both of the sides do not want to pay these rookies massive amounts of money. Locker is the only one who screwed up when he was a top 5 pick and was able to make 40+mill guaranteed.

There's no doubt in my mind that there will be a rookie pay scale in this year's draft. The only one's against it are the players in the draft, and they have absolutely no say in the new CBA.

Some of you guys just don't understand what can happen to him since he is staying st Stanford. Its not just the possibility for injury, but the new CBA.

1. If there is a lock-out, guess what? He makes absolutely nothing next year, but he can finish his college classes that he could finish whenever he wants.

2. Are you guys naive enough to believe that the owners would approve a CBA without a rookie cap? The numbers being thrown around are that the rookie pay scale will be about 50% of what it already is.

I am at an honest loss for what your pay scale comments are directed towards. Do you think they wouldn't affect Luck if he came out this year? They will be in effect for the upcoming season... the 2011 draftees will not be removed from the pay scale, if there is a CBA and football to begin with. King and Schefter have both reported, with obvious information, that he is not leaving Bradford money on the table by going back to school. Money is not an issue, he is getting the same amount this year or next.

Yes, he can go through the absolute headache of being drafted, being locked out of football with nowhere to hone his #1 overall skill, re-enroll in college, finish classes, etc. But how is that a better option than simply staying in school already, finishing his degree, and playing football for another season while becoming more mature as a QB and person? Even if the lockout is avoided, it's likely to drag into September... Which means no practice, no camps, nothing. Will it benefit Luck to have an NFL season next year if it's going to make him a worse 2011 QB?

If Luck has the opportunity to get a $20M contract over 5 years in 2011, or $20M contract over 5 years in 2012... The former in a league full of absolute turmoil and uncertainty, and the latter with the problems completely resolved... Which makes sense? Skip the reasoned decision because he might get injured? That's asinine.

• Like 1

And, if he gets injured, he can kiss by the millions of dollars he could have earned. And, don't tell me he would be "happy" if he were to become an architect instead of an NFL player because he got injured.

How's Shaun Livingston? How's Greg Oden?

He clearly understands the risks, and obviously enjoys playing in college and wants to stay.

You can get injured at any point in the game, it comes with playing football.

You can get injured BEFORE you get paid or you can injuried AFTER you get paid ;)

You act like he can't return to college and get a degree. Whenever an athlete in any sport, especially football, can come out and be #1 overall they should. It's simply dumb not to.

Yes, much smarter to risk never getting the money just to do something you can do later in life.

That is your opinion. But to call a man's life decision "simply dumb", especially one where he has countless reasons and support in doing so, is extremely shortsighted.

Anyways, low blood sugar crisis averted, key lime pie and apple turnover Yoplait yogurts consumed, back to bed. Night :wub:

• Like 1

You can get injured BEFORE you get paid or you can injuried AFTER you get paid ;)

You act like he can't return to college and get a degree. Whenever an athlete in any sport, especially football, can come out and be #1 overall they should. It's simply dumb not to.

Lol read my whole post man, the rookie pay scale will be implemented in this years draft, so no, he's not losing a ton of money.. He's confident in his abilities, and believes he has the chance to get a Heisman and finish his college career on top.

Lol read my whole post man, the rookie pay scale will be implemented in this years draft, so no, he's not losing a ton of money.. He's confident in his abilities, and believes he has the chance to get a Heisman and finish his college career on top.

Implemented or not he's still going to make bank as #1 overall, yes it will be altered but number 1 pick still getting 15 mil guaranteed. To risk that would be moronic but whatever.