Done deal: Andersen officially a Rocket

Dash

While Andersen doesn't have the biggest profile in Australian sport, he has been a proven winner in Europe for a decade. Incredibly, he has taken a pay cut to leave Spanish force Barcelona and sign a three-year $9million deal in the NBA.

"I just felt this year if I didn't go over to the NBA it might be a now-or-never thing,'' Andersen said. "It's the right time for me to go, I feel pretty good, physically I think I can compete. I'm looking forward to it.''

The Rockets rushed Andersen into their squad after All-Star centre Yao Ming went down with a career-threatening foot injury.

Even at 212cm, Andersen can't measure up to the 229cm Chinese star. But Yao Ming has confidence in the Aussie centre. "I actually met up with Yao because he was going to have surgery,'' Andersen said.

"He's played against me internationally before, he just said work hard and he thought things would go pretty smoothly for me. They're huge shoes to fill. I don't think they planned to bring me in exactly for him, but obviously with the situation as it is they're looking for me to step in and play some more minutes. But I think eventually they can see me playing alongside him - that'd be a good opportunity.''

$9 million in AUD would be $7.3 million in the States, roughly $2.5 million per year.

Morey getting 'em cheap.

I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about him. Been a fan of acquiring him ever since it was reported Morey was interested.

I saw him during the ABCD final. One of Barcelona´s best players and Barcelona won the championship. Really consistant perimeter shooter and can play in the post as well. I like the signing.

He will fit right in Adelman's offense. His three point percentages are pretty nice too...he will be playing the Brad Miller role, I'm sure Rick is happy.

Edited by Dash

good offensive player. Mediocre defensive player. If he can't defend in the Euro League, I can't imagine how he'll handle the big men in the league. It's a good pickup but I don't think he should be anything other than a role player. I wished the Hawks would have signed him, but at least Hawks fans can finally see how David Andersen plays with the elite.

Edited by ATL

Meh, wont make a difference on this team IMO.

Meh, he's going to be starting.

Strengths:

Passing from Post/Elbow

3pt Range/Shooting abilities

Team defender

Post Moves

7 footer

Experience

Weakness:

Soft

Low Post defense

Rebounding