10 Reasons Why Griffin Must be in the All-Star Game

Why would I have hate toward him? I actually like him. If I did have hate though, what makes you assume that my hate would be misguided? I just think Rudy Gay is a better player and if Gay were on a team where he was the clear cut #1 scoring option he could avg 30 a game. You could argue Rudy Gay is the 2nd best SF in the West this year.

He could average 30PPG...lol what? Both Griffin and Gay take the exact same amount of shots (16.5) per game, yet Griffin averages 2 more points. Going by your reasoning, you don't think if Griffin took 21-22 shots that he'd average close to, or over 30PPG?

And besides scoring, which Griffin does at greater volume and better efficiency than Gay, where does Gay impact the game? He's not a great rebounder at the SF position, and he averages the same amount of turnovers as he does assists. Griffin, meanwhile, is 4th in the league in rebounding (in a year where players are rebounding at an abnormally high rate), and one of the best ballhandling and passing big men in the league.

So, where's your reasoning? I think you just have some kind of stupid bias against big men since wing players are generally more flashy and skilled, like your belief that Dwight Howard isn't close to being a top 5 player. But, with Griffin that really isn't much of an issue as he's insanely well-rounded and skilled for a big man. In the last 2 months he's averaging 25/14/4 on 53% shooting...that's ELITE, even if you stretch the comparisons out to NBA history. I am not suggesting he's as good as a prime KG, Barkley, Duncan or any of them yet, but he's REALLY far along already. And keep in mind, this is coming from someone who is very hard on young players, as seen with how I analyze Durant and how I hated LeBron up until around 2006ish. That's how good Griffin is already.

• Owner

I've watched a TON of basketball in my life, since the early 90s (and even a little in the late 80s, but I was really too young to care at the time), and the last time I've seen a rookie have a season like this, he came out of LSU and was drafted by the Magic in 1992.

If that's the category we can put Blake Griffin in, he deserves this ASG spot.

He could average 30PPG...lol what? Both Griffin and Gay take the exact same amount of shots (16.5) per game, yet Griffin averages 2 more points. Going by your reasoning, you don't think if Griffin took 21-22 shots that he'd average close to, or over 30PPG?

And besides scoring, which Griffin does at greater volume and better efficiency than Gay, where does Gay impact the game? He's not a great rebounder at the SF position, and he averages the same amount of turnovers as he does assists. Griffin, meanwhile, is 4th in the league in rebounding (in a year where players are rebounding at an abnormally high rate), and one of the best ballhandling and passing big men in the league.

So, where's your reasoning? I think you just have some kind of stupid bias against big men since wing players are generally more flashy and skilled, like your belief that Dwight Howard isn't close to being a top 5 player. But, with Griffin that really isn't much of an issue as he's insanely well-rounded and skilled for a big man. In the last 2 months he's averaging 25/14/4 on 53% shooting...that's ELITE, even if you stretch the comparisons out to NBA history. I am not suggesting he's as good as a prime KG, Barkley, Duncan or any of them yet, but he's REALLY far along already. And keep in mind, this is coming from someone who is very hard on young players, as seen with how I analyze Durant and how I hated LeBron up until around 2006ish. That's how good Griffin is already.

I think you need to stop trying to analyze me like you know me or something :lol: I have nothing against big men, I would have put Yao as a top 5 player back in his prime, and I have nothing against Blake Griffin. Griffin is more flashy than just about wingman in the NBA. I just feel Blake is rookie, he will have his ASG's in the future, over Gay. However, I feel Gay and other players who have been in the league longer than Blake deserve the nod.

I think you need to stop trying to analyze me like you know me or something :lol: I have nothing against big men, I would have put Yao as a top 5 player back in his prime, and I have nothing against Blake Griffin. Griffin is more flashy than just about wingman in the NBA. I just feel Blake is rookie, he will have his ASG's in the future, over Gay. However, I feel Gay and other players who have been in the league longer than Blake deserve the nod.

So, you go from calling Rudy a better player to saying he should be in over Griffin because he's been in the league longer...ok, makes perfect sense.

Bah, it's supposed to be, "I don't always vote for All-Stars...but when I do, I prefer Rudy Gay.

Anyway, since this has turned into a Rudy Gay vs. Blake Griffin thread, Gay usually scores strictly via isolating and jumping over his opponent. He's an average player in nearly every other aspect. Griffin's a more versatile scorer, is probably already a better passer, is a worse defender, and a much better rebounder.

I wouldn't put in Griffin over Dirk, Durant, and Melo, and I've been enthralled with Lamar Odom's play this season (best player on the Lakers for the 2010 portion of the 2010-2011 season), so they'd get my votes, but Griffin over Gay is a no-brainer. Gay's good but he's just not that great.