Prokhorov: We're Walking Away from the Deal

Teletopez

He says they're walking away since the price was too expensive, talks were becoming public and affecting the players, and negotiations were being dragged on. He sounded pretty ticked throughout the conference.

Answer to the last question about whether the Nets would re-consider if Denver adjusted their asking price: "I thought I was perfectly clear."

Billy King being interviewed now.

Edited by Waldo

Troy Murphy has asked for a trade. What a pointless trade.

I've been disappointed about how things have gone with that. We traded away someone who wanted to leave for someone who embraced playing for Jersey, and unexpectedly, things got ugly.

• Owner

Troy Murphy has asked for a trade. What a pointless trade.

Did he just do this recently, after he found out the Melo deal fell through, or...?

It's Troy Murphy, though. Not that big of a loss considering the way he has performed so far this year. I'm surprised he's even hitting rim on his shots.

I'm thrilled at the outcome of this for multiple reasons.

Over the last week, Prokhorov has received a lot of criticism from writers for something Dave D evaluated months back, that Prokhorov is "NBA dumb." Reports were that King wanted to back out, while Prokhorov was pushing it. Today, everyone was worried about what Mikhail would reveal, whether he would go beyond limits, etc.

Edited by Waldo

They are better off building with what they have, honestly. Add another top pick this year and you have one of the nicer young teams in the league. Melo wasn't taking them anywhere anyways.

Also Denver is going to regret being so stingy, they had no leverage to begin with and the Nets were letting Denver get everything they could want. They missed out big time, I hope they enjoy Wilson Chandler.

Edited by Check my Stats

Did he just do this recently, after he found out the Melo deal fell through, or...?

It's Troy Murphy, though. Not that big of a loss considering the way he has performed so far this year. I'm surprised he's even hitting rim on his shots.

He was injured for some time through the preseason, and when he came back, he didn't get to play because Avery felt he wasn't in shape. Murphy was clearly unhappy when talking to the media.

I am guessing this is a way to push us back, the Nets had been willing to move heaven and earth to do this, and by stopping being desperate, they pretty much take all our leverage away.

If we don't deal with Nets over petty throw ins like Renaldo Balkman, Damion James, a draft pick "more" tiny matter, Ujiri should be fired effectively and immediately. A $500K/ year man trying to control an organization of billionaires and millionaires doesn't make sense from the start.

---

Although I think this is Nets strategy to position themselves better in the negotiation, I wouldn't be surprised if Prokhorov meant his words. He's pretty much been insulted by Melo, and by Nuggets with this cheap negotiation. I think he's a great owner with great vision for life (seeing his interview in 60minutes), also owner with the deepest pocket too. The Nets fans and organization should cherish having this man, not Melo.

I am guessing this is a way to push us back, the Nets had been willing to move heaven and earth to do this, and by stopping being desperate, they pretty much take all our leverage away.

If we don't deal with Nets over petty throw ins like Renaldo Balkman, Damion James, a draft pick "more" tiny matter, Ujiri should be fired effectively and immediately. A $500K/ year man trying to control an organization of billionaires and millionaires doesn't make sense from the start.

---

Although I think this is Nets strategy to position themselves better in the negotiation, I wouldn't be surprised if Prokhorov meant his words. He's pretty much been insulted by Melo, and by Nuggets with this cheap negotiation. I think he's a great owner with great vision for life (seeing his interview in 60minutes), also owner with the deepest pocket too. The Nets fans and organization should cherish having this man, not Melo.

Bro...it's over. Done. Finished.

Some experts say this is really a PR move by Melo to say no to the Nets, but Melo doesn't want to be a bad guy like LeBron to Nuggets fans, and he allows Nets to say they're the ones backing away from the deal to save the franchise's face.

Or it could be a perfect good cop/ bad cop thing pulled off by Nets. They had been good cop by being desperate to Denver (King) and Prokhorov shows up and says if good doesn't work, then we'll be bad, show some pride and pull away from the deal.

The Nets never had a shot at him anyway. It was clear all along he would not sign an extension with New Jersey, and he only wants to play for the Knicks. Im not sure how this is even news, the Nets had 0 chance of getting him.

We had a legitimate shot at renting him for half a season by giving up more than half of our roster and at least three draft picks. We looked like the ones that were desperate. Denver was slowly and steadily raising their asking price and adding some of their own expensive contracts for us to take. Now we've stepped away.

Read Woj's article, and you'll understand why this is a relief for the fanbase.

I am officially a Prokhorov fan now... man got style, vision, guts, but easygoing at the same time. He's a sports addict that is committed to Nets. For all the fuss about Cuban being the best owner, he's only worth $2.4 bil. Prokhorov dwarfs him. His passion and commitment to Nets are going to be apparent without the Cuban-like baggage on court side.

Although they have a bad record, Nets fans are lucky, lucky, lucky, they're in good hands.

I am officially a Prokhorov fan now... man got style, vision, guts, but easygoing at the same time. He's a sports addict that is committed to Nets. For all the fuss about Cuban being the best owner, he's only worth $2.4 bil. Prokhorov dwarfs him. His passion and commitment to Nets are going to be apparent without the Cuban-like baggage on court side.

Although they have a bad record, Nets fans are lucky, lucky, lucky, they're in good hands.

Having billions of dollars doesn't make you a great owner. For all of the hype going into the 2010 FA, he came out with an overpaid Travis Outlaw and Jordan Farmar. And, King and Avery wanted this deal dead for weeks, but Prokhorov's persistence almost destroyed the Nets future.

I am still happy he's the Nets owner, but he has shown nothing yet to believe he's going to turn this team into a championship contender anytime soon.

We had a legitimate shot at renting him for half a season by giving up more than half of our roster and at least three draft picks. We looked like the ones that were desperate. Denver was slowly and steadily raising their asking price and adding some of their own expensive contracts for us to take. Now we've stepped away.

Read Woj's article, and you'll understand why this is a relief for the fanbase.

Renting Melo would have been a complete waste, the Nets are going nowhere this season with or without him.

The whole Melo thing was pretty much due to the Knicks. Nets don't want to move to Brooklyn to compete with Amare and Carmelo but in all honesty, we might as well try.

I find that these games until Brooklyn are pretty much pointless considering what they've put them through this season. They mentioned a lot about the Celtics so hopefully we will play our draft picks and see what happens from there.

Having billions of dollars doesn't make you a great owner. For all of the hype going into the 2010 FA, he came out with an overpaid Travis Outlaw and Jordan Farmar. And, King and Avery wanted this deal dead for weeks, but Prokhorov's persistence almost destroyed the Nets future.

I am still happy he's the Nets owner, but he has shown nothing yet to believe he's going to turn this team into a championship contender anytime soon.

Good deals and bad deals are what decide one to be wealthy or bankrupt. Judging by his fortune, seeing good deals from bad ones is an everyday thing for him. I'm sure he (while away from US) instructed King to do whatever it took to get Melo, but he did not know the detail and extent of the deal, and how high Nuggets were asking back... I think King updated him with the progress like, "we almost got him"... and he'd reply, "keep working on it." But King never said, "we have to give up Favors, Harris, 2 first rd picks and they're still asking for more." Once he came to US, it became clear to him this deal turned from good to bad because of how much they'd have to give up.

The decision to end the deal is a good one because he has the ability to see good deals from bad ones, or the good ones that have become bad, which is the case for this deal.

Keep making good decisions, and willingness to pay luxury tax and commitment to winning on any price (some owners just want to own franchise to profit from revenues, not win championships), and they're definitely on the right track.

This vid cracks me up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCPf95_VGyQ

I never met with Carmelo and I never spoke with him, maybe he sent me e-mail but really I don't use computer... that's why I haven't/ missed it... or maybe the carrier pigeon got lost. Who knows? :lol:

Good deals and bad deals are what decide one to be wealthy or bankrupt. Judging by his fortune, seeing good deals from bad ones is an everyday thing for him. I'm sure he (while away from US) instructed King to do whatever it took to get Melo, but he did not know the detail and extent of the deal, and how high Nuggets were asking back... I think King updated him with the progress like, "we almost got him"... and he'd reply, "keep working on it." But King never said, "we have to give up Favors, Harris, 2 first rd picks and they're still asking for more." Once he came to US, it became clear to him this deal turned from good to bad because of how much they'd have to give up.

The decision to end the deal is a good one because he has the ability to see good deals from bad ones, or the good ones that have become bad, which is the case for this deal.

Keep making good decisions, and willingness to pay luxury tax and commitment to winning on any price (some owners just want to own franchise to profit from revenues, not win championships), and they're definitely on the right track.

Basketball is a different ballgame from his other business ventures, and he's no expert on the NBA. That's what you hire GM's and coaches for. He already made a questionable hire by signing King, and if Prokhorov had strong influence by what happened this past offseason, then that should be all the proof you need. If this deal went through 2 weeks ago, like Prokhorov was pushing for and NOT the GM or coach, then it would have been a fatal mistake. I think he just got fed up by Denver's unwillingness to finalize a deal, and didn't want the franchise to look any worse than it was to the media and fans.

Also, if people like you and me are getting updates by the minute of the details of the proposed trade, how the hell would he not have knowledge of the specifics? Either that's untrue, which it is, or he's not the perfect owner you think he is.