Whatever happened to the good old days?

kingfish

Where teams would draft their own talent and developed them into superstars? Or at least traded for players that would eventually get better over time. Now a days teams just build their roster through free agency. Like the Heat with Lebron and Bosh, the Knicks with Amare, and soon to be Melo and CP3. Now teams are just trying to become elite by scoring big on free agency, rather then do the scouting find players that would be best for their franchise. Like how the Spurs and Lakers built their teams. Through drafting their franchise players and then making trades and signings for role players to surround them with a good supporting cast.

Now the NBA has turned into, "omg u wanna meet up in New york wit Amare? we can be da big 3 of da nba. and I heard u dont gotta play defense in NY" - Melo to CP3 <_<

Edited by kingfish

The Lakers drafted Kobe?

Or Shaq?

Or Pau?

The Lakers pretty much drafted Kobe, Jerry West was probably the greatest scout in basketball and knew how great Kobe would be.

Shaq was just one free agent signing.

Pau was acquired through trade, not free agency, and he got better with the Lakers becuase everyone thought he was soft back in 08.

What about Bynum and Fisher? They drafted them did they not. :lol:

The Lakers pretty much drafted Kobe, Jerry West was probably the greatest scout in basketball and knew how great Kobe would be.

Shaq was just one free agent signing.

Pau was acquired through trade, not free agency, and he got better with the Lakers becuase everyone thought he was soft back in 08.

What about Bynum and Fisher? They drafted them did they not. :lol:

All I'm addressing is that you said the Lakers built through the draft... They built their cores through trades (Kobe, Pau) and FA (Shaq). Not hating on them, just saying.

The Lakers have always been a team that builds its teams proactively through FA and trades. Of course they hit it big with guys like Magic and Kobe (who they traded for) through the draft, but ever since the days of Kareem they've been a team that gets it done by more unconventional means.

I personally don't mind how things are nowadays. Most teams still do get the chance to see their players develop into stars, but more than ever it is on the franchise to put talent around their stars to compete. If they don't, it opens the door up for that star to leave for a better situation. I don't see the problem with that, and IMO it makes things a bit more dramatic and interesting.

Edited by Nitro

The Heat got those FA by knowing exactly who to trade and who to trade for so that we would have enough money to sign three superstars. So if you think about it, Wade was drafted by us, and made into a superstar in Miami. Every trade we made from the season after the chamiponship until last season was all leading up to the 2010 FA period. So really, we built our team through drafting and trading in order to have enough money for free agency.

• Owner

The Hornets actually picked for the Lakers, just to make that clear. Technically, it was a trade...but, also, the Lakers were the ones that asked for him to be selected at #13. They could've made the trade official right after the Cavs picked up Potapenko (trade for the PICK), but there was no point in it.

But, yes, Shaq did sign with us a week later, and we did trade for Gasol.

I can't think of a relevant championship team that built their squad through the draft over the last 10 years, other than the Spurs. They drafted D-Rob, Duncan, Ginobili AND Parker. You could reach back to Chicago in the 90s, because they basically took Pippen in the draft (from Seattle, traded for Polynice if I recall correctly).

Aside from the Heat, what good NBA team has built itself through free agency?

As of now, the Knicks are the 16th best team in the league in schedule adjusted offensive and defensive rating.

Here are the league's best:

Boston built its core by trading two young players/picks (one who is fairly talented) for two stars in Allen and KG. Rondo, Davis, Perkins, and Pierce were drafted.

Chicago drafted Rose, Deng, and Noah and only signed Boozer (who hasn't made much of an impact so far).

Orlando drafted Howard and Nelson, signed Hedo when he was a bit player, and acquired the rest of their core through mostly trades. In fairness they did flip Rashard Lewis in free agency for Gilbert Arenas.

The Lakers pseudo-drafted Kobe, Bynum, and Fisher. They traded for Odom and Gasol and signed Artest.

San Antonio drafted nearly all of its rotation guys except for Jefferson who was acquired in a trade and Bonner (I forget how he was acquired, if I remember correctly he was a RFA from Toronto)

Oklahoma City drafted (or pseudo drafted in the case of Jeff Green) virtually its entire core.

Utah drafted Williams, Millsap, Miles, and Kirilenko, traded for Jefferson, signed Raja Bell.

Dallas drafted Dirk, and acquired most of his supporting cast through trades.

Not many free agency built teams here. Building a team through free agency is one of the hardest ways for a franchise to build a team. The amount of free-agency built superteams in the past are few and far between.