Bill Walton suggests Greg Oden should retire

“My recommendation for Greg would be to move to Hawaii, lose a ton of weight, start life over,” the former Trail Blazer center said Thursday night before Portland’s matchup with Boston at the Rose Garden. “Focus on health, movement, the happiness of what can be in life, and start over.”

What, quit the NBA?

“What he’s doing right now is not working,” Walton said. “Start over. Its not happening for him doing this. Hopefully he’ll be able to come back (to basketball, but) ... do what any rational person would do in a health crisis. Go back to your core, to who you are. It’s not about slight adjustments on the fringe. It’s about who you are, what you do, what you stand for.”

http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/01/28/bill.walton.thinks.greg.oden.should.retire

I don't think he should retire just yet. Even though he's injury prone, he could still make a comeback and not get injured again. I know the chances are low but Portland has to have faith in him. He would be one of the best big man in the league if he actually stayed healthy

It is Bill Walton, so what he said should be taken with a pinch of salt. However, he has a good point in that Oden should not be forcing himself to return ASAP as that is clearly not working. Just relaxing and wait for the injury to heal was what he should have done at the start. Now, facing unemployment if he doesn't return to the court next year, he has a hard decision to make.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Walton's opinion. If anyone would know what it's like to go through what Oden has had to the last few seasons, it is Bill. He played under 60 games 8 of his first 9 seasons, including missing 2 full seasons.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Walton's opinion. If anyone would know what it's like to go through what Oden has had to the last few seasons, it is Bill. He played under 60 games 8 of his first 9 seasons, including missing 2 full seasons.

but Oden isn't Walton. he's only been in the league for a few seasons.

but Oden isn't Walton. he's only been in the league for a few seasons.

I know, but Walton went through similar things very early in his career and may regret his decision to push his body to the limit just for a game. Also, Oden's making a lot more money than Walton was at the time, so Walton may have had more financial incentive than Oden does to pursue this career.

either way, I think it's too early for Oden to retire. he should give it another go and see what happens. if he suffers another injury next year, then sure, give it some consideration.

look, he's an expiring contract. what I think he should do is sign a one-year deal somewhere and see how it goes. he's a Buffalo native. maybe the Knicks give him the MLE so he's close to friends and family. take things slow, make sure he's ready to play, and see what he does at MSG.