NCAA Basketball Gameday Thread

Cobb

I've been hearing a lot of talk regarding this Florida - BYU matchup in the Sweet 16. "Experts" are anticipating the Gators to avenge last year's loss to BYU. But they don't seem to be sure about Billy Donovan is going to prepare for them. Do the Gators try to lock down the rest of the Cougars and allow Jimmer Fredette get off? Or, do they try to make the rest of the team beat them while trying to harass Jimmer? Quite frankly, I think this will be the first time in a while that Fredette scores less than 20 points. I hope that I won't have to eat my words

:(

I think you have to understand that Jimmer's going to go in there and get his 25-30 points. If you keep him under 30, you should be fine as long as you get quality looks on the offensive end and you shut down his supporting cast.

It's hard to completely shut down a guy like Jimmer because he shoots from like 30 feet out, so idk how you just stop that completely.

I think Florida would be wise to play some type of match-up zone or triangle and 2 action to effectively limit Fredette. A match-up zone would enable a longer defender like Parsons to aggressively guard Fredette but still have all of the normal zone backings behind him. It's not a bad idea at all, make Jimmer give the ball up and keep him around 18-22 points. A match-up zone would absolutely wear down Fredette and BYU has no one that can take over the game as a result. A triangle and 2 or 1-1-3 match-up zone would be game over for BYU.

You can't ever completely guard Jimmer because he does this:

You can, it's just no team really wants to challenge Jimmer out there. If you continually throw junk defenses at him, I'll take my chances with a few those from almost center and make him frustrated. The Gators have the length and defensive players to handle Jimmer, but they need to go to a match-up zone or tri 2 to contain him.

• Owner

Zone him up and give him the long three, and force the rest of the team into beating you. If Jimmer drops 10 threes with a high efficiency, he deserves the win...but over the last few weeks, Jimmer's shooting hasn't been that great, and you're more than likely going to grab some long boards and get out on the break.

Can't wait for my boy Kemba to play. Going to be a great game between them and SD St.

I got UConn and Florida in the championship so today will either make or break my bracket. lol

'your boy' You probably didn't even know who he was until the Pitt game :lol:

• Like 1

Huh? I've liked him since the beggining of the season, just because I didn't say anything on here doesn't mean I didn't

like him.

He actually has, I can vouch for him.

Excellent defense by SDSU thus far on Kemba, I need atleast one of my upsets to pull through for me.

It's also nice to see that Reggie Miller is as big an idiot in the college game as he is as an NBA announcer, wanting BYU to go man-to-man thinking it helps them more. Of course the Gators use their bigs and get a couple of close layups as BYU can't guard Florida man to man.

I hate the college game so much. So many missed layups, the refs are AWFUL. Chandler Parsons just slammed a guy to the floor and didn't draw a foul. Jimmer Freddette spent an entire possession complaining to the refs while his man ended up with a wide open three. In the NBA he'd be crucified. In the college game, he's praised for his basketball IQ. The Gators run a nice little NBA-style offense but BYU settles for too many quick threes. Awful, awful basketball.