2011-2012 without the NBA

Scout200

I think it would have more of an affect on people in the NBA (Players, owners, etc.) more than it would the fans. Obnviously the fans would feel let down, but they aren't losing anything other than entertainment from it. These players will be losing a lot of money, and will essentially be out of work for a year. They would probably be a lot more hesitant when going forward, especially since it would be the second time in just over 10 years.

I can't comment on how it would affect America because I don't live there, although I imagine there would be a lot of empty space on the TV schedule.

As much as I like the NBA, I really think David Stern will be surprised at the lack of care most fans have if the NBA has a lockout.

If there was a lockout in the NFL, there'd be a huge uproar.

I mean, if there was no basketball in Cleveland next year, I can tell you that only the die hard fans would care. And that's not many....same can be said for teams like Minnesota, Milwaukee, Indiana, Sacramento, etc...

Only in LA, Miami, Utah, OKC, Boston, Orlando, San Antonio, and maybe Chicago can I see a large majority of fans who would be upset.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

Agreed. Players are so dumb with their money. It's really sad actually.

I found the NFL's statement funny where they told the players to collect on IOU's because they'll be in deep [expletive] if they don't reach a deal with the NFL. The league will be fine, owners are already rich, and I'm sure the league can get non-union players to play football anyway(they've done it before). I wouldn't mind watching NFL with some scrub players if there is no other option

Edited by Lkr

I found the NFL's statement funny where they told the players to collect on IOU's because they'll be in deep [expletive] if they don't reach a deal with the NFL. The league will be fine, owners are already rich, and I'm sure the league can get non-union players to play football anyway(they've done it before). I wouldn't mind watching NFL with some scrub players if there is no other option

Well, if it's any consolation, I don't think the NFL will have a lockout. As of now, ESPN is agreeing to pay the NFL $2 billion per year for the next decade - which, if that happens, the lockout probably won't happen.

It would definitely be an opportunity for the NHL to try and showcase their product and give fans with nothing to watch, something to watch, though I don't think they'd really be able to grab that many fans.

I really don't think the NBA will lock out, they might lock out for a bit but there will definitely still be a season even if it is shortened. The NHL missed an entire season because the entire CBA needed to be overhauled, the NBA's only needs to be adjusted. Make no mistake about it though the players are going to get worked over in these negotiations.

But to answer the question, if the NBA locks out, I will try and follow the Maple Leafs more closely. I still watch them and support them, just not like the Raptors. The Raps at least have their own pick to look forward to, the Leafs are so horribly positioned it just sucks lol, but if there is no NBA I have no choice. I think I'd watch more college ball as well.