2011 Rookie-Sophomore Game

ArtGarcia_NBA Art Garcia

Rookies: Griffin, John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, DeMarcus Cousins, Derrick Favors, Landry Fields, Wesley Johnson, Greg Monroe & Gary Neal.

ArtGarcia_NBA Art Garcia

Sophs: Evans, DeJuan Blair, Stephen Curry, DeMar DeRozan, Taj Gibson, Jrue Holiday, Serge Ibaka, Brandon Jennings & Wesley Matthews.

http://twitter.com/#!/ArtGarcia_NBA

East Coach: Amare Stoudemire

West Coach: Carmelo Anthony

Will the Rookies win it this year? The Sophomores group of this year are 1-0 in this game having upset the Sophomores of last year, but with Blake Griffin, John Wall, and Landry Fields, I think the Rooks have a good shot.

Wow I didn't realize that Wes Matthews was a second year player. What a beast.

I like the Sophmores in this game simply because they have a better group of shooters (Curry, Derozan, Matthews). Teams normally don't play defense unless the game is tight near the end so I expect the Sophmores to just rain with their three point shooting. Plus I highly doubt they'll want to attack the basket with Griffin and Cousins defending the paint. Outside of Gary Neal and maybe Landry fields there just isn't a whole lot of shooting for the rookie team.

Rookie Challenge by the Numbers

With the NBA announcing rosters for the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge on Tuesday, I thought it might be worth a look at the WARP leaders among the rookie and sophomore classes.

Player Tm Ps Win% WARP

Blake Griffin lac PF .633 8.0

Landry Fields nyk SG .513 3.1

John Wall was PG .488 2.0

Greg Monroe det C .495 1.8

Ed Davis tor PF .518 1.5

Paul George ind SF .574 1.3

Gary Neal san PG .461 0.9

Jeremy Evans uta SF .645 0.7

DeMarcus Cousins sac C .435 0.5

Derrick Favors njn PF .440 0.5

Wesley Johnson min SF .406 -0.2

Eric Bledsoe lac PG .400 -0.4

I wouldn’t describe any of the rookie omissions as egregious. Ed Davis probably has the best case, since he’s outperformed DeMarcus Cousins and Derrick Favors while playing a key role in Toronto since returning from knee surgery. There’s a natural desire to see highlight top draft picks in this game, and Cousins and Favors have played well enough, so it makes sense they would be selected. The same effect helps explain Wesley Johnson being selected despite below-replacement performance thus far. Paul George has played well at the same position, but in limited minutes. This effect does make it all the notable that Evan Turner (.351 Win%, -1.5 WARP) was left out despite having been the No. 2 overall pick. That’s how much Turner has struggled to date.

Player Tm Ps Win% WARP

Stephen Curry gsw PG .614 5.5

Jrue Holiday phi PG .515 3.4

Serge Ibaka okl C .552 3.4

Ty Lawson den PG .534 2.8

James Harden okl SG .519 2.6

Brandon Jennings mil PG .548 2.5

Wesley Matthews por SG .488 2.4

DeJuan Blair san PF .528 2.3

Chase Budinger hou SF .510 1.7

Toney Douglas nyk PG .493 1.7

Tyreke Evans sac PG .463 1.5

Taj Gibson chi PF .468 1.1

DeMar DeRozan tor SG .351 -2.2

There has definitely been something of a sophomore slump this year, which has taken down Tyreke Evans and to a lesser extent Brandon Jennings. So, despite his own problems with recurring sprained ankles, Stephen Curry reigns as far and away the most valuable second-year player....

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=628

Stephon Curry is not the most valuable sophomore. Call me biased or whatever but I definitely think it's Welsey Matthews and he'll easily lead the sophomore team in scoring and will carry the load in this game. No doubt in my mind.

Stephon Curry is not the most valuable sophomore. Call me biased or whatever but I definitely think it's Welsey Matthews and he'll easily lead the sophomore team in scoring and will carry the load in this game. No doubt in my mind.

Probably true. I really liked him coming out of Marquette and wanted the Bucks to take a chance on him when he went undrafted. Looks like that would have been a good move. :P

• 3 weeks later...
Oklahoma City Thunder guard James Harden will replace injured Sacramento Kings guard Tyreke Evans (plantar fasciitis, left foot) on the Sophomore Team in the 2011 T-Mobile Rookie Challenge
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211045/Harden_Replaces_Evans_In_Rookie_Challenge#ixzz1EGMDhrX6