New York Mets 2011

fish7718

Mets looking to sell minority stake for $200 Million

It looks like the New York Mets are going to have one rough season both on and off the field. For investors who like to buy low, this could be the time to jump in.

The New York Times reports that the team is looking to sell $200 million for a minority stake in the club. It is a "badly needed cash infusion that the team's owners would pour directly into the club's operations and use to pay off some of their debt," a source tells the paper.

Also potentially on the table, the Times notes, is "a portion of SNY, their cable network." However, any negotiation for that would be handled as a separate transaction.

"The owners believe that they can get more for a stake in the profitable SNY if it is not packaged with the team," the source to the Times told the paper.

The team's status has fallen so much that "the $200 million could constitute as much as a 40 percent share of the club," according to the paper. But buyers who want to be eventual owners of the Mets shouldn't get too excited because the Times reports that potential bidders have "been advised that any deal to sell a minority stake will not include a future pathway to acquire the rest of the team." Fred Wilpon and family want to hang onto that.

Of course, that could change. Selling a minority stake probably wasn't in the Wilpons' plans a few years ago, either.

Source

Whew brain fart didn't even read just over reacted, no one's going to buy unless they get 51% and no one should buy unless they do the way this team has been run.

Edited by fish7718

And we are world series bound!!! Lol sadly this will probably be the highlight of the mets season and I didn't get to watch. I'll enjoy it until you guys come and ruin it for me and remind me it's only 1 game.

Btw I read an article during Chris Young's great spring training could be the best deal made by any team this offseason, if he keeps pitching like this then he could be right. Capuano looks promising as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fish, what do you think the Mets do with Reyes? Would you give him the 100+ mil contract that he'll be looking for?

I know that they're rebuilding, and may not be very close.. but the dude is so young and is (talent-wise) a top 3 SS in baseball.

Fish, what do you think the Mets do with Reyes? Would you give him the 100+ mil contract that he'll be looking for?

I know that they're rebuilding, and may not be very close.. but the dude is so young and is (talent-wise) a top 3 SS in baseball.

Yeah, very hot button issue with me right now. You can't let Reyes walk for nothing, just can't do it. At this point, you are a last place team with him and he is a top player at his position. If you let him walk for a god damn compensation pick then you are failing as a franchise for the next 3-4 years. By then Wright will be 31-32, Santana done. Just can't do it. Now I was totally against trading him, not to long ago, but it's a hell of a lot better than losing him. If you can trade him for a great looking young pitcher like a bumgarner+ a nice player or two, I'd say that wouldn't be so bad. Tejada can field SS just fine, and our line up is strong enough to over come losing Reyes, especially if Ike pans out, and Turner possibly. In the end, I think Alderson needs to be being a scumbag and just give Reyes the money he deserves, 5-6 years 90-100 mil is fine in my book. Look what Crawford and Jeter just got. They got the Money, Beltrans 19 mil is coming off, as is Reyes's 11 mil, plus a few other guys probably too..just do it...

Just my 2 cents....I think the Mets have to trade him. Not even a question. Basically for the reasons Fish said. And even with all of the big contracts coming off the books soon, I don't see where the money for a Reyes mega-deal comes from.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jose Reyes

#1 (#2 MLB) in NL in hits

T4 in NL in doubles

#1 in MLB in triples

#2 in MLB in steals

#1 (#2 MLB) in NL in average

#10 in NL with .880 ops

if Mets win wildcard, he's a legitimate MVP candidate

How the [expletive] is he not gonna get his money

I hate this [expletive]ing team

[expletive] all the haters who laughed at me when I said Reyes = Hanley

Jose Reyes

#1 (#2 MLB) in NL in hits

T4 in NL in doubles

#1 in MLB in triples

#2 in MLB in steals

#1 (#2 MLB) in NL in average

#10 in NL with .880 ops

if Mets win wildcard, he's a legitimate MVP candidate

How the [expletive] is he not gonna get his money

I hate this [expletive]ing team

[expletive] all the haters who laughed at me when I said Reyes = Hanley

Where the Mets finish shouldn't be relevant to him winning/not winning MVP.

Anyway, the Mets have to trade him. Right now. But as a Phillies fan I wouldn't mind if they hold onto him and get nothing for him :).

Edited by Phightins

Where the Mets finish shouldn't be relevant to him winning/not winning MVP.

Anyway, the Mets have to trade him. Right now. But as a Phillies fan I wouldn't mind if they hold onto him and get nothing for him :).

How bout we hold onto him, resign him, and rape you next year :angry:

If he is not a Met next year, gotta deal him

Over .500 for the first time since April 6th :o

http://www.metsblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/ReyesBeltranASG2011.jpg

Reyes most triples and steals in his first 1,000 games since Ty Cobb

Please just break out your check book now the guy is hit .350

He is going to bring the Mets an epic haul of prospects, if they trade him (as they should). Premium position, second thinnest position around baseball. Somebody will pay up big time, guaranteed.

He is going to bring the Mets an epic haul of prospects, if they trade him (as they should). Premium position, second thinnest position around baseball. Somebody will pay up big time, guaranteed.

Yeah but people don't want to be Cliff Lee'd...

2 games over .500, somebody pinch me, I'm getting excited...

Yeah but people don't want to be Cliff Lee'd...

2 games over .500, somebody pinch me, I'm getting excited...

On this date last year, they were nine games over .500.

*Pinch*

• Like 1