Chris Broussard: Lakers, Nuggets talk Carmelo for Bynum package no Artest or Odom involved

I hope we keep Drew, he signed an auto for me last year and hes a cool dude. Ill miss him if he leaves.

However, this deal is very tempting. Im sure Kobe and Melo will work, the thing about Bron and Wade is neither are great jump shooters, they both love to attack the rim every play and those are guys you want to keep on the perimeter. Kobe and Melo are knock down jump shooters. But could you imagine Kobe having Melo to pass to on the perimeter? Hes never had another wing player anywhere close to that caliber. And were not exactly thin up front without Bynum, Gasol is a very capable center. Match them up with Boston, Pau and Odom are about the same height as Perkins and Garnett. Im not sure if we should do this deal simply because

A) Were back to back champions with this roster.

B) Bynum/Gasol/Odom are a matchup nightmare for any team.

C) Bynum has shown flashes of dominance (07-08 before he went down). If he can finally get back to 100 % and get back to where he used to, in todays NBA no team has a center that can stop him.

D) Defense wins championships. Melo brings nothing on defense and Bynums rebounding and shot blocking go a long way to helping us win a title.

I will say this though, the Boston game on Thursday is going to decide a lot. The coaches and management have already said that. If we lose, especially by a large margin, we will make a move no doubt. However if we go into Boston and dominate them, no way we make this deal. So if Boston wants us not to get Melo, they better tank on Thursday and let us win. :lol:

Edited by kingfish

Bynum will never be injury free though, and you can't trade your franchise away in hopes that he will be. Chandler + is the much smarter route for the Nuggets, not to mention the fact they may be getting a lottery pick as well with him. I see what your saying but still don't see how the Lakers offer is better than the Knicks.

Hilarious. Wilson Chandler>Andrew Bynum all things considered. Sorry.

Idk about that. Bynum is definitely a good player and has really proven himself despite being hampered with injuries. Chandler is very inconsistent in a run n gun style of offense that doesn't ask him to play much defense (although he's a solid defender).

But still, the Knicks package has got to be overall more enticing than just bynum...

• Owner

Bynum will never be injury free though, and you can't trade your franchise away in hopes that he will be. Chandler + is the much smarter route for the Nuggets, not to mention the fact they may be getting a lottery pick as well with him. I see what your saying but still don't see how the Lakers offer is better than the Knicks.

All true, RD, but the injuries are present and persistent.

Denver is going to look at a team like the Rockets, and they'll wonder why they were even shooting for Chandler. Look at Kevin Martin. Not going to compare them, but it shows that you have to go above and beyond to bring in size.

Injuries exist, but Drew played 65 games last year.

Before getting traded to the Heat, there were MAJOR concerns about Shaq being healthy (and Lakers fans remember this all too well, including his comment about getting surgery on company time). In those last three seasons as a Laker, Shaq never played over 67 games.

The first season with the Heat, Shaq was a 23/10 guy.

Same with Amare.

2003-04: 55 games

2006-06: 3 games

2008-09: 53 games

Same with Grant Hill, who became an all-star after one of the most devastating injuries (and a near death experience) a player could face.

There are other examples, but I'm sure you guys get the picture. Denver wants a big. If they get a chance on Drew and feel like they will lose Melo no matter what, it's a shot they will take if they can't get Favors or Lopez from New Jersey, or Amare from the Knicks (which will not happen).

I never knew there was interest in Bynum, which is why I always dismissed this idea. However, since news came out that there was interest over the summer and now, it's something that hit me in the face unexpectedly, and when you put it all together and look at Denver's contracts, it makes a ton of sense.

The Nuggets were said to be after Jordan Hill and other players. They wanted Favors or Lopez. They went out and got Al Harrington, who turned out to be a waste. They gave Birdman a long contract, thinking he was going to be a big part of their future. It's highly unlikely they would get Sullinger with any pick traded to them. With KU playing the way they are, Marcus Morris is only going to rise on the draft board, away from Denver, a player that they have had their eyes on.

They want a big.

With Melo saying he'd sign an extension in Los Angeles (the Lakers being one of his teams), it only puts more pressure on Denver to pull the trigger.

I'm not saying that the Lakers have a bigger chance, but I'm saying that they have the second biggest chance right now...and they have forced New York to push a bit harder. If the Knicks weren't concerned, they'd wait it out and get him for a second-rounder, like Miami did both of their players.

I don't care what you say tbh, you are pointing out instances in which guys have proven they are all stars, Bynum has proven nothing. 65 games is not an accomplishment. Being the 5th option is good for some guys because flaws in their game aren't exposed as much, I'm not saying Bynum has this issue, but he still has proven nothing. The idea of the Nuggets trading are Melo to their rival is completely absurd. It also makes little sense for the Lakers it makes them over loaded at SF and why fix what they believe is not broken? If it is true is a panic move by the Lakers, if it's not true, which is isn't, Lakers fans are just being toyed with. Either way I can't see why Lakers fans are excited about this. BTW not sure what point you are trying to make with Kevin Martin, Chandler is bigger and has proven he log minutes at the 2 guard. You act like adding a 6'8 guy in Chandler is killing them in size. I can name guys too but 1 name will do: Greg Oden. Point is you need to be healthy to win, and adding a guy who destroys their cap and potentially their team for the next 4 guys is a not a good idea at all. It's also completely silly to overlook the potential lotto pick, or the fact they could have Anthony Randolph who I believe has size as you mentioned.

BTW I'm not too fimilar with the NBA's rules but I believe getting him through FA would force to give away Wilson Chandler anyway, so either way he's gone. Randolph I don't think D'antoni cares whether he stays or goes. So I don't think the Knicks are panicing or worrying about the Lakers one bit. We don't hear Gallinari's name mentioned since the Nets fell out.

Edited by fish7718

• Owner

Why are some of the Knicks fans acting so pissed off? Didn't you guys do this when Carmelo was close to getting traded with the Nets, also, before he declined to meet with Mikhail? Geez. Even members over at TLN are laughing at all of the Knicks fans right now.

And all of you hate the Heat, also. I bet I know why.

Rumor isn't true? Okay, I believe you...

Randolph isn't a big, he's a weaker Lamar Odom that doesn't use his size for anything. He's a "tall guy playing like a two-guard" and it leads to pathetic shots, soft play, absolutely no defense, and no future. You still believe in Randolph, huh?

The Lakers don't believe it's broken? I just gave you 3-4 different things that say otherwise. If they didn't, Mitch would've never said a word about exploring trades, Phil wouldn't be talking, and Magic would've never suggested it. Many other things to mention, but come on...

Overloaded at the SF position? We're exploring trades for Ron (proven). Brown is expendable, and that could move Barnes down to the two (Kobe playing just 33 MPG this season, it makes sense). Don't make it too complicated for us...too much depth is only a positive for the Lakers.

Wilson Chandler missed over a half a season his rookie year, had a full season after that, missed 17 games last season, and has only started a little over half of them this season. Why are we talking like Chandler is a big deal, again? Two seasons of injuries, four total seasons, one current season on and off the bench?

Didn't want to do it, but Chandler isn't a big deal. Denver would've already pulled the trigger, otherwise. They want the guy that is forcing Chandler to the bench, Landry Fields.

Drew is a center. He's more valuable. He's healed up right now and producing. Two of his three major injuries came from freak accidents, our players' faults. Oden is a different story.

And as far as the cap-strapping goes, again, Drew is signed for just two years. If the Nuggets didn't want him after next season, he's a MASSIVE expiring contract, bigger than Curry's. Denver is rebuilding if they lose Melo, so two years means nothing...they will be more irrelevant trying to build around Wilson Chandler, draft picks that aren't guaranteeing them a top five pick in the draft, and cap space that means nothing because Denver isn't the biggest market, or a contender.

You really don't have to care what I say, honestly. I know you took that approach with the LeBron rumors as well, and it's a fact that the Lakers came out and stated they were not trading for Pau Gasol right before, well...they traded for Pau Gasol. The NBA is just a big tease, I guess.

This isn't really that big of a deal to me, though. I don't like the fact that the Knicks have a better chance, but I do like the fact that this move isn't exactly a do-or-die situation, for our current state OR our future. Given the history, the family running it, the team itself...we won't fret if we don't land him, we'll just look to Howard or CP3 when it's time, and if the team plays like they want to win (which means we do it in the playoffs), we'll be in the Finals again, Melo or Drew in a Lakers jersey.

Why are some of the Knicks fans acting so pissed off? Didn't you guys do this when Carmelo was close to getting traded with the Nets, also, before he declined to meet with Mikhail? Geez. Even members over at TLN are laughing at all of the Knicks fans right now.

And all of you hate the Heat, also. I bet I know why.

Rumor isn't true? Okay, I believe you...

Randolph isn't a big, he's a weaker Lamar Odom that doesn't use his size for anything. He's a "tall guy playing like a two-guard" and it leads to pathetic shots, soft play, absolutely no defense, and no future. You still believe in Randolph, huh?

The Lakers don't believe it's broken? I just gave you 3-4 different things that say otherwise. If they didn't, Mitch would've never said a word about exploring trades, Phil wouldn't be talking, and Magic would've never suggested it. Many other things to mention, but come on...

Overloaded at the SF position? We're exploring trades for Ron (proven). Brown is expendable, and that could move Barnes down to the two (Kobe playing just 33 MPG this season, it makes sense). Don't make it too complicated for us...too much depth is only a positive for the Lakers.

Wilson Chandler missed over a half a season his rookie year, had a full season after that, missed 17 games last season, and has only started a little over half of them this season. Why are we talking like Chandler is a big deal, again? Two seasons of injuries, four total seasons, one current season on and off the bench?

Didn't want to do it, but Chandler isn't a big deal. Denver would've already pulled the trigger, otherwise. They want the guy that is forcing Chandler to the bench, Landry Fields.

Drew is a center. He's more valuable. He's healed up right now and producing. Two of his three major injuries came from freak accidents, our players' faults. Oden is a different story.

And as far as the cap-strapping goes, again, Drew is signed for just two years. If the Nuggets didn't want him after next season, he's a MASSIVE expiring contract, bigger than Curry's. Denver is rebuilding if they lose Melo, so two years means nothing...they will be more irrelevant trying to build around Wilson Chandler, draft picks that aren't guaranteeing them a top five pick in the draft, and cap space that means nothing because Denver isn't the biggest market, or a contender.

You really don't have to care what I say, honestly. I know you took that approach with the LeBron rumors as well, and it's a fact that the Lakers came out and stated they were not trading for Pau Gasol right before, well...they traded for Pau Gasol. The NBA is just a big tease, I guess.

This isn't really that big of a deal to me, though. I don't like the fact that the Knicks have a better chance, but I do like the fact that this move isn't exactly a do-or-die situation, for our current state OR our future. Given the history, the family running it, the team itself...we won't fret if we don't land him, we'll just look to Howard or CP3 when it's time, and if the team plays like they want to win (which means we do it in the playoffs), we'll be in the Finals again, Melo or Drew in a Lakers jersey.

First of all, I'm not getting pissed off, and I know Kyle and JYD aren't so don't know why you're acusing of us of getting pissed off. I don't care that your TLN buddies are laughing at Knicks fans, hell most of them deserved to be laughed at.

Chandler isn't a big deal? Guy does everything well and I don't know why no one bothers to talk about his potential. He's got a good jump shot and if he gets better at ball handling he could become a prominent scorer in the NBA, as his 3 point shot continues to develop as well. I bet most people would doubt Chandlers potential and say he leveled off 2 years ago, but the guy is a hard worker and now has a 3 point shot to show for all the hard work. At 23 years old he is starting to finally come into his own, I don't see how Bynum is any bigger deal that Chandler :lol: what has Bynum done? What is it because he's a C? Someone call Saer Sene! K. As a NBA expert I'm disappointed in your lack of knowledge shown abobe. Just because Chandler is coming off the bench does not by any means make him a bench player. Would you call Manu or Terry bench players because they come off the bench? Chandlers role off the bench is actually prominent because he's the only scorer who can handle the ball effectively without Stoudemire in the game, this is the only reason he logs so many minutes off the bench. Oden's injuries were freak accidents as well :lol:, Yao's injuries were freak accidents too, you know why? 7 foot people are very prone to freak accidents which is why trading your franchise player for one is pretty dumb. As for your final argument against cap strapping so the Nuggets plan is to trade Melo, an expiring right now, for an expiring in 2/3 years (w/e) :lol: excuse me but that's pretty asinine.

Maybe you're right, I'm just shocked of all people you bought into this, I thought you'd be the biggest critic after you dispelled other rumors so quickly. However you've been on a roll with the picks, maybe you just know everything ;).

No harsh feelings here, just because I respond to your post doesn't mean I'm angry. When I said I didn't care what you said, I just meant you weren't changing my mind on the stance, sorry if that came out wrong.

Edited by fish7718

• Owner

Chandler isn't a big deal? Guy does everything well and I don't know why no one bothers to talk about his potential. He's got a good jump shot and if he gets better at ball handling he could become a prominent scorer in the NBA, as his 3 point shot continues to develop as well. I bet most people would doubt Chandlers potential and say he leveled off 2 years ago, but the guy is a hard worker and now has a 3 point shot to show for all the hard work. At 23 years old he is starting to finally come into his own, I don't see how Bynum is any bigger deal that Chandler :lol: what has Bynum done? What is it because he's a C? Someone call Saer Sene!

Prominent scorer? That means standing out among the pack...and I doubt he will ever contend for a scoring title. That's crazy to think so.

And I know you were joking, but still...Saer Sene? Give me another offensive big man you can compare Drew to, really.

Drew is the third best center in the NBA right now, if you don't consider Amare one (he plays the majority of his minutes at the five, though), behind Howard and Horford. Argue for Bogut because of his exceptional defense this season. Many forget that, a half a season before we brought in Gasol, the Lakers were actually a top team in the conference with Drew averaging 13/10 on 64% FG, over two blocks per game, and that was with under nine shots per game in a triangle offense with Bryant and Odom.

Just because Chandler is coming off the bench does not by any means make him a bench player. Would you call Manu or Terry bench players because they come off the bench? Chandlers role off the bench is actually prominent because he's the only scorer who can handle the ball effectively without Stoudemire in the game, this is the only reason he logs so many minutes off the bench.

I never said he wasn't a good player, I'm saying he's not one that Denver should be chasing to trade away a superstar for. You build around a center, not Chandler.

The example I gave to you earlier (with Kevin Martin) showed what happens to a team that builds around a player that's already a "prominent scorer" and nothing more. While Chandler has more to his game, he's not proving to anyone that he can contest for a scoring title. You're telling me Denver should be this high on him? They will end up like the Warriors (Monta), the Rockets (Martin), the Pacers (when Granger was dropping 25's, and he does much more than score), the Kings (Evans), and many others down the road...and this is actually IF Chandler proves he can score 25+ PPG as a primary option, defenses geared to stopping HIM.

In 2-3 years, OTR will still be up...and if he turns into that player, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about him. I'm confident I won't need to.

Oden's injuries were freak accidents as well :lol:, Yao's injuries were freak accidents too, you know why? 7 foot people are very prone to freak accidents which is why trading your franchise player for one is pretty dumb.

List all of the potential all-star seven-footers you can over the last two decades that have had their careers crushed due to injuries, and I'll make the attempt to match it with seven-footers that have not failed. I'll start off with Shaq, Robinson, Dirk, Hakeem, Gasol, Ewing, and Mutombo (don't play this game, just ignore this part of the post).

Here's something crazy: did you ever follow Zydrunas Ilgauskas early in his career? The guy who broke a bone in his right foot in 1996 and completely missed his rookie season. He played one full season, then just 29 games the next two, eventually having surgery to repair a fractured navicular bone in his left foot during that third year...injured AGAIN in December 2000 and was out for the season, and backed up Chris Mihm the following year. After that? He was a two-time all-star, averaging 17/9 with 2+ blocks a game, with a steel pin in his foot and very limited time on the court over the first 5-6 years of his career, had five consecutive seasons of 78+ games played (played 73 games in the sixth, and has played in 50 games for the Heat this year).

As for your final argument against cap strapping so the Nuggets plan is to trade Melo, an expiring right now, for an expiring in 2/3 years (w/e) :lol: excuse me but that's pretty asinine.

No. If Drew pans out, they keep him. If not, he expires. Win/win situation as long as they want to try him out for 1 1/2 seasons (which isn't long at all).

-------

Let me say just two more things...

1) This trade doesn't have to be FOR Bynum. The Lakers can easily work a third team into the mix, sending Bynum somewhere for something that Denver really, really wants. There are teams out there, like Houston and Golden State, that would love to have Drew. The Warriors have already stated that everyone is on the block, and they have expressed interest in Drew before. Makes sense to grab him from LA, and send Monta Ellis to the Nuggets, Melo to the Lakers? There's a prominent scorer you were talking about, but a proven one, headed to Denver...but that's just an example.

2) If Melo has all of the leverage (this was what everyone has been saying when the Nets were offering, and he obviously didn't want to play there), and he has chosen the Lakers as a destination, and most of his family lives in Los Angeles...why would it matter if Denver is trading him to a contender? Apparently, they don't have any leverage. Melo lets them know what he wants, and they work it out.

It's a fact that the Lakers are exploring trades, and it's no surprise that Drew and Ron's names are the first two to come up. Denver actually asked the Lakers about Pau Gasol (in a Gasol-Melo swap), and the Lakers turned them down...reported as true by both sides. This summer, Drew for Melo was talked about...nothing to be surprised at, because the Lakers' FO was pissed at Drew at the time (for the surgery incident). Why would this rumor be false, and why is there absolutely no chance of this happening? That's all I want to know.

Yuck I hate doing this quote by quote thing but I'll oblige just for you :)

Prominent scorer? That means standing out among the pack...and I doubt he will ever contend for a scoring title. That's crazy to think so.

20-24 ppg is prominent, I don't think it's too crazy, you know more than me though.

And I know you were joking, but still...Saer Sene? Give me another offensive big man you can compare Drew to, really.

:), just saying size doesn't equal ability or value, Thabeet? :)

Drew is the third best center in the NBA right now, if you don't consider Amare one (he plays the majority of his minutes at the five, though), behind Howard and Horford. Argue for Bogut because of his exceptional defense this season. Many forget that, a half a season before we brought in Gasol, the Lakers were actually a top team in the conference with Drew averaging 13/10 on 64% FG, over two blocks per game, and that was with under nine shots per game in a triangle offense with Bryant and Odom.

Talent wise? I guess. I wouldn't anoint him it, I'd toss a few other names around Al Jeff, Perkins, Noah. Laugh at Perkins if you want but his D at C is no joke.

I never said he wasn't a good player, I'm saying he's not one that Denver should be chasing to trade away a superstar for. You build around a center, not Chandler.

The example I gave to you earlier (with Kevin Martin) showed what happens to a team that builds around a player that's already a "prominent scorer" and nothing more. While Chandler has more to his game, he's not proving to anyone that he can contest for a scoring title. You're telling me Denver should be this high on him? They will end up like the Warriors (Monta), the Rockets (Martin), the Pacers (when Granger was dropping 25's, and he does much more than score), the Kings (Evans), and many others down the road...and this is actually IF Chandler proves he can score 25+ PPG as a primary option, defenses geared to stopping HIM.

You build around lotto picks too, I didn't know there was postions you weren't supposed to build around. PG - Chris Paul? SG - Kobe? SF - LeBron? PF - Duncan? C - Dwight? I know these are certainly special cases because all the players are super talented but I have to think a lot of why building around guards may not work is because the teams just simply don't have the talent at the other positions. I've only seen one center carry his team to the playoffs and Bynum will never be him, btw that Orlando team was LOADED with talented shooters and players.

In 2-3 years, OTR will still be up...and if he turns into that player, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about him. I'm confident I won't need to.

:), you may not have to, but imagine if you did?

List all of the potential all-star seven-footers you can over the last two decades that have had their careers crushed due to injuries, and I'll make the attempt to match it with seven-footers that have not failed. I'll start off with Shaq, Robinson, Dirk, Hakeem, Gasol, Ewing, and Mutombo (don't play this game, just ignore this part of the post).

K I ignored it

Here's something crazy: did you ever follow Zydrunas Ilgauskas early in his career? The guy who broke a bone in his right foot in 1996 and completely missed his rookie season. He played one full season, then just 29 games the next two, eventually having surgery to repair a fractured navicular bone in his left foot during that third year...injured AGAIN in December 2000 and was out for the season, and backed up Chris Mihm the following year. After that? He was a two-time all-star, averaging 17/9 with 2+ blocks a game, with a steel pin in his foot and very limited time on the court over the first 5-6 years of his career, had five consecutive seasons of 78+ games played (played 73 games in the sixth, and has played in 50 games for the Heat this year).

Impressive, but Andrew Bynum is not Zyrdrunas Ilgauskus, Andrew Bynum is Andrew Bynum, as much as you want to compare him to other players at the end of the day he's a guy that's averaged 50 games a year ever since he got a consistent role as a player, until he proves he's more than that, that's all he'll ever be to me. I know I'm bring up baseball, and it's completely different, but I used to blindly say the same thing about John Maine. Story didn't end happy for me.

No. If Drew pans out, they keep him. If not, he expires. Win/win situation as long as they want to try him out for 1 1/2 seasons (which isn't long at all).

I guess you don't remember what it's like your favorite team sucks, trust me it's eternity. Especially when after that 1 1/2 years you have JR Smith scoring 30 ppg and drawing more dumb comparisons to Kobe as you attempt to break the Cavs all time losses in a row streak.

-------

Let me say just two more things...

1) This trade doesn't have to be FOR Bynum. The Lakers can easily work a third team into the mix, sending Bynum somewhere for something that Denver really, really wants. There are teams out there, like Houston and Golden State, that would love to have Drew. The Warriors have already stated that everyone is on the block, and they have expressed interest in Drew before. Makes sense to grab him from LA, and send Monta Ellis to the Nuggets, Melo to the Lakers? There's a prominent scorer you were talking about, but a proven one, headed to Denver...but that's just an example.

Now that is a good rumor, perhaps Bynum to a team that's desperate for a C? I'd buy into that.

2) If Melo has all of the leverage (this was what everyone has been saying when the Nets were offering, and he obviously didn't want to play there), and he has chosen the Lakers as a destination, and most of his family lives in Los Angeles...why would it matter if Denver is trading him to a contender? Apparently, they don't have any leverage. Melo lets them know what he wants, and they work it out.

The rumor is that he wants to go to the east coast, but who knows maybe you are right, afterall rumors are jjust rumors.

It's a fact that the Lakers are exploring trades, and it's no surprise that Drew and Ron's names are the first two to come up. Denver actually asked the Lakers about Pau Gasol (in a Gasol-Melo swap), and the Lakers turned them down...reported as true by both sides. This summer, Drew for Melo was talked about...nothing to be surprised at, because the Lakers' FO was pissed at Drew at the time (for the surgery incident). Why would this rumor be false, and why is there absolutely no chance of this happening? That's all I want to know.

In my experience you just don't trade Carmelo Anthony to the LA Lakers and pass it off as a good move. As a Knicks fan, if we battled out for the Heat for years and turned around and passed off Amar'e for Zydrunas Ilgauskus the rookie years, I'd be quite pissed. I'd probably become a Raptors fan. Anyways I guess I did have a knee jerk reaction to this but I guess that's what happens when you hear rumor after rumor, you just dismiss them immediatley if they don't make sense at first. In closing I hope you didn't take me posting back and forth with you as insult, I think debate enlightens us and makes us smarter personally. If you were ECN I'd be calling you an [expletive] right about now but you actually made some pretty good points, good luck I hope this works out for one us. I'll be sure to get back to you when Wilson is torching the league for 35 ppg on the way to his 4th consecutive MVP ;)

Edited by fish7718

• Owner

I rarely take debates as insults. A debate is different from a splurge of nonsense. Members that do that tend to leave OTR because people won't continue posting to them, or they get themselves banned.

good luck I hope this works out for one us

At least he's not going to Miami. ;)

I'd post a bit more, but I'm going to make a 5th attempt at getting some sleep first.

Lakers Wouldn't Discuss Gasol For Anthony

The Lakers have denied that they would trade center Andrew Bynum to the Nuggets in a package for Carmelo Anthony, but he wasn't the only star player from L.A.'s roster discussed.

There have been talks between the Lakers and Nuggets and the two-time defending champions declined to discuss a trade centered around Anthony and Pau Gasol, opting to keep the player that has helped them win two titles.

They view Anthony as a top-tier player, but the Lakers are worried about the massive contract ramifications of acquiring him.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/210782/Lakers_Wouldnt_Discuss_Gasol_For_Anthony

• Owner

I lol'd at "massive contract ramifications". The writer is just talking out of his [expletive].

Kobe - $25.2 million

Melo - approx. $22 million

Gasol - $18.7 million

--- TOTAL $65.9 million for just three players

Odom - $8.9 million

Artest - $6.8 million

Walton - $5.7 million

Blake - $4.0 million

Fisher - $3.4 million

Ebanks - $0.7 million

Caracter - $0.8 million

--- TOTAL $96.2 million adding the other seven

Barnes and Brown expire after this season if they don't take player options of $2.4 million (Brown) and $1.9 million (Barnes). No idea why they would take those cheap PO's.

Next season's roster (no Brown or Barnes, and with Drew) totals $93 million.

For the extra $3 million, Buss actually pays double...and that makes it less likely he re-signs Barnes and Brown.

Buss will look at this and ask if Melo is worth losing Drew, Barnes and Brown, and still paying $6 million extra next season alone. Those are the massive contract ramifications he's dealing with right now.

Let's put it this way: he declined a trade to bring in Kirk Hinrich for Vujacic and Brown, all because Hinrich was earning $9 million a year. He didn't want to pay Ariza the money he was seeking, so he looked to Ron Artest. He forced Odom into a huge paycut ($8.9 million is too cheap for Lamar). He traded Vujacic to the Nets for Joe Smith, just to get rid of his contract immediately, instead of waiting for it to expire, so he wouldn't have to pay the extra $5 million in luxury tax this season.

The Buss family is looking to cut back. Aside from Drew being his son's project, this is the other reason why they may not try to work this trade, unless Denver (or some team) takes back Walton or Artest.

• 2 weeks later...

Give me Derrick Favors...

Andrew Bynum second... although I'm turned off by his injuries and passiveness (he doesn't seem to have that hunger and desire to be the best... like he seemed to have in the past)

Wilson Chandler and guys last...

1. You aren't the Nuggets GM

2. You have no leverage so you'll take what is given to you, or nothing if you continue to act dumb

:)

You Knicks also just lost your leverage now Nets are back in talks

Knick fans better drop the man love for this natural born role player Fields guy. He reminds me of 1st year players getting excited for the big money they get in NBA, contributing to their confidence... so they play out of their mind, but 2-3 years later they're out of shape, just trying to get back in rotation... e.g. Austin Croshere playing like superman in 1999-2000, Eddie Robinson, Gordan Giricek,

I think Fields' ceiling is a Rick Fox, and it's certainly nothing to be excited about.