Jerry Sloan Resigns

fish7718

Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan and assistant coach Phil Johnson will announce their resignation at a press conference later today, according to a report by KSL radio.

The Jazz lost to the Chicago Bulls on Wednesday in Salt Lake City and Sloan did not immediately emerge afterward to talk to the media. He reportedly had been in a discussion with general manager Kevin O'Connor. From Brian Smith of the Salt Lake Tribune:

Source

Good prediction RD :), crazy, 23 years, end of an era.

Edited by fish7718

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/lebronze23/wow-5.jpg

Wow didn't know it got that heated between the two. I wonder how fans in Utah feel about Deron now? I mean those fans are obviously die hard Jerry Sloan fans before anyone else, so does he now look like the bad guy who pushed Sloan to the limit?

Seems like Deron is officialy realistic trade bait lol.

His resignation couldn't come at a better time, I expect him to take over for the Lakers next season. Competitors like Sloan and Kobe were like made for each other.

As for the conflicts between Sloan and Deron Williams, I can't say that I'm all that surprised. Sloan is a tough coach to play for.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/lebronze23/wow-5.jpg

Wow didn't know it got that heated between the two. I wonder how fans in Utah feel about Deron now? I mean those fans are obviously die hard Jerry Sloan fans before anyone else, so does he now look like the bad guy who pushed Sloan to the limit?

Seems like Deron is officialy realistic trade bait lol.

WOW! I never heard of this.

His resignation couldn't come at a better time, I expect him to take over for the Lakers next season. Competitors like Sloan and Kobe were like made for each other.

As for the conflicts between Sloan and Deron Williams, I can't say that I'm all that surprised. Sloan is a tough coach to play for.

If the Lakers win another ring then he wont imo, but if they do manage to lose this year then I could see it happening but I doubt it.

-_-

they got rid of Sloan to satisfy Williams. if Deron was trade bait, they would have just dealt him and kept Sloan, not get rid of both.

I am still curious if the fans will accept Deron seeing as Sloan is god in Utah. Also no reason to think Williams is content in Utah after all this.

Wow...Sloan was tearing up. I never was a big fan of the Jazz (although I liked them more than most Rockets fans do) but Sloan is one person that absolutely deserves a ring. I hope this isn't the end for him.

• Like 3

Agreed with Dash, I haven't lost any respect for Deron Williams, he's still a tremendous player that I love to watch, but I'm shocked right now. I can see him going to Portland, but not LA. I just don't think his system can translate over to the Lakers, but it would be great if he did end up going there, he could turn Gasol into a much better pick n roll player.

This is hard to believe.

From what I've read apparently Jerry Sloan wanted to suspend Deron Williams for his antics during half time. Management disagreed with Sloan, held a 30 minute meeting after the game, and it was there that Sloan decided to resign. This is truely a sad day, but atleast it was on his own terms. It's going to be really awkward watching Utah games, without Sloan on the sidelines.

Edited by Confidence

Sad to see Jerry Sloan go., he's been coaching for more than 20 years and has been one of the best coach in the entire league and also one of the most underrated coach in my opinion. This will definitely hurt the fans and the team itself that will need to play throughout the season with a new coach and maybe system.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/2011/news/02/10/sloan-breaking/jerry-sloan-526-021011.jpg

Sad stuff

Well from the snooping that I've done, I'm under the impression that Utah fans feel that this move was long overdue. The clashes that he had with his players were only setting him up for disaster; and when you mess with the franchise player, well, that's your one way ticket out.

Edited by Confidence

Williams began by stating that he was in "shock" at today's news. "I didn't think he would ever retire in the middle of the season," Williams said. "I watched the press conference and he said it was his time."

Williams then took a swipe at reporters claming that he had a role in Sloan's departure. "All those guys, Ric Bucher, Chris Broussard, they're all in our locker room everyday," Williams deadpanned. "I'll let them report what they want to report, that's what they are paid to do. That's why I'm always short and rude with the media, because they're your friend. Ric comes in and sits by me every time I see him, acts like he's my friend, but the day they find something they want to spin, they jump on it. That's why I am the way I am and will continue to be the way I am."

Williams did admit that he and Sloan had had differences of opinions during his time in Utah. "Me and Coach Sloan, I don't want to say [we had] a rocky relationship, but we've have our disagreements over the years. Probably no more than any other coach and player have arguments. We're both competitive, we're both very stubborn. I think that's where we clash. One thing we always agreed on is that we both wanted to win."

Williams denied a report that he had approached Jazz management saying that he wouldn't re-sign with the team when he's a free agent if Sloan was still the head coach. "That's not true. I would never force coach Sloan out of Utah. He's meant more to this town and organization than I have by far. It's not my place."

As for a report that he and Sloan almost came to blows during halftime of last night's game, Williams confirmed that a "disagreement" took place, but downplayed the severity of it. "I don't know, we just had a disagreement. We've had them before, we've had worse ones. I've seen him have worse ones with other players. Jerry is very fiery, I guess that's the word to use. I am too. Sometimes we clash on things."

Williams said taht his relationship with Sloan this year has been similar to his previous years in Utah. "It's been pretty much the same, we get along a lot, we disagree sometimes, but we both want to win. It has been a frustrating year. We felt we were supposed to be a little better than we have been.

"I've been lucky. Not many people get to come into the league and play for a Hall of Fame coach for the first six years. Chance to learn from one of the best. I've won a lot of basketball games because of Coach Sloan."

Asked one final time if he asked or wanted Sloan removed as head coach of the Utah Jazz, Williams replied, "No, sir."

http://matt-moore.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/27473613?source=rss_blogs_NBA

On a brighter note, Lakers should pick him up once Phil retires. I would love to see Sloan win his first ring with LA.

I can't believe there are people who think Sloan would actually come in next year and coach the Lakers.

Sloan has higher principals. I strongly doubt he takes another coaching job in the NBA. I'd expect to see him coaching high school or junior high kids than NBAers. He's a teacher first and foremost and he has character-based principals. It would be a great way for him to stay involved in basketball and inspire a next generation without dealing with NBA personalities.

He's also stubborn and very rigid in his views on basketball and the world. Can you imagine him trying to curtail Kobe after Kobe breaks off the flex once or twice?

I really couldn't believe it when I heard about that... I didn't see that one coming.

It's really sad to see one of the best coaches ever resign. The saddest part is that such a great coach never won a ring and even worse was never coach of the year. Apparently he will not come back but I hope that he will change his mind.

Well at least he was the coach of the best team that the Bulls ever faced in the Finals (IMO), and he also was a hell of a player in his Bulls days, one of the best defenders ever. His number 4 was the first retired jersey by the Bulls ever.

A great NBA career indeed.