Celtics send Perkins to Thunder for Jeff Green

Dash

Imo the Celtics are being very smart. Perkins is young, but he's made it known he'll entertain leaving so why not get something for him? Green adds needed depth at the forward position, and they get Krstic, who's sort of like Ilgauskas. They had too many centers with no range. The Celtics are getting picks, young players, and cash; they are being smart preparing themselves for the eventual exit of the big three. Rondo, Green, is a good core for the future as opposed to being left with only Rondo and Perkins leaving.

For the Thunder, this gives them great advantage with size. Perkins is as tough as any center in the West. But I don't know how they fill Green's absence.

How weird that Green winds up in Boston after his draft rights were traded to Seattle.

• Like 1

Few things about this trade..

1) It was obvious that the Celtics had a lot of frontcourt depth, so they were going to address that one way or another. What I didn't expect the Celtics to do was trade away their defensive anchor. Shaq and Jermaine are way too injury prone, so I don't understand why they would trade away one of their healthy and productive big men.

2) Jeff Green is probably pist. He goes from being a starter and key piece, to probably a sixth man. He's gives the Celts alot of versatility at the position, but the trade certainly wasn't worth compromising size.

3) Thunder finally get their defensive big men that they've look been awaiting. This trade makes them the 3rd best team in the East behind the Spurs and Lakers imo. As for the Celtics, they probably move down a spot, I think the Heat are now favored to win the East.

4) My only concern for the Thunder is that Durant and Wesbrook are going to be expected to do to much on offense. You certainly upgrade defensively, but losing Green leaves a pretty big offensive void. Thabo is going to have to step up in a bigger scoring role.

2) Jeff Green is probably pist. He goes from being a starter and key piece, to probably a sixth man. He's gives the Celts alot of versatility at the position, but the trade certainly wasn't worth compromising size.

I have always felt like he lucked into that role of a starter on an exciting young playoff team. I followed him since the beginning of his college career at Georgetown, and always felt like he was best suited as a 6th man. Give him more minutes, and you see him take more and more contested shots, and his weaknesses begin to show more and more. Playing behind Pierce would be great for him.

I think it's a good move. You can't understand how Jeff Green is so underrated! When he plays well, Thunder team always used to win so he will be a great addition to the Celtics. Even though Perkins is one of the best post up defender in the NBA, Celtics will benefit from this deal especially with Shaq, Jermaine back soon and maybe Sheed we never know.. and makes total sense for the Thunder who really needed a good center.

I have always felt like he lucked into that role of a starter on an exciting young playoff team. I followed him since the beginning of his college career at Georgetown, and always felt like he was best suited as a 6th man. Give him more minutes, and you see him take more and more contested shots, and his weaknesses begin to show more and more. Playing behind Pierce would be great for him.

no, give him less minutes

without even looking he is probably around 38-41 mins per game

he needs to be in a defined role i think he'll be good as a celt although i think he will walk in the offseason

no, give him less minutes

without even looking he is probably around 38-41 mins per game

he needs to be in a defined role i think he'll be good as a celt although i think he will walk in the offseason

lol I wasn't saying to give him more minutes, you misinterpreted my post.

To be honest I haven't watched enough of him to make a fair assessment of what role best suits him. What I do know is that he is really versatile and has a unique skill set. His minutes are probably going to get cut in half with Boston, and that probably wont sit well with him.

To be honest I haven't watched enough of him to make a fair assessment of what role best suits him. What I do know is that he is really versatile and has a unique skill set. His minutes are probably going to get cut in half with Boston, and that probably wont sit well with him.

Why did Boston trade for him if they're gonna cut his minutes in half?

They didn't acquire him to play 19mpg...

Boston was in a really tough position here. they could have held onto Perkins and kept their starting line intact, but then he probably would have left in the summer. if I had to guess, I'd say they offered him a lucrative extension, he respectfully declined, and so they had to do what was necessary.

the Celtics are one of the best teams in the league with or without Perkins. they're 33-10 this year without him. I understand how much he means to the team, but I'm sure the prospect of losing him for nothing didn't sit well with Ainge. in the last couple years, Danny's extended Rondo, Pierce, and Allen, plus KG still has a couple years left on his deal. letting Perkins walk wouldn't be a good look.

Boston sacrificed tons of big men depth by trading Perkins, Erden, and Harangody. however, they still have some nice players at the four and five spots. assuming Shaq and JO eventually come back healthy, they'll have both of them plus Big Baby, Kristic, and possibly Murphy. it's still an attractive roster.

Rondo/West

Allen/Wafer

Pierce/Green

Garnett/Davis

Shaq/Jermaine

Kristic/Murphy?

losing Robinson hurts as well, but Boston has Avery Bradley ready to take his spot next year.

ultimately, I think the Celtics were right in making this deal. like I said, I'm sure they negotiated with Perkins and tried keeping him in Boston. he probably wanted to test the waters and there's a good chance he would have left for more money. with this deal, they're at least getting a great sixth man in Jeff Green. he'll provide them with youth, energy, and great offensive production. besides, with Daniels out, they desperately needed a perimeter player off the bench.

nice deal for both sides.

green can play some SG depending on the match ups of course and obviously PF i think he will get around 28-33 mins a game wish him the best

I don't think I've ever seen him play the two and I highly doubt he gets any minutes at PF with Kevin Garnett and Glen Davis. But as you said it's all matchup pending. I'm curious to see how he fits into the Celtics rotation.