a letter to Jordan

Dear MJ,

if memory serves, you were a pretty good basketball player. I hope your skills on the court can translate to the management office.

as of now, you have one of the weakest looking rosters in the league. that's understandable, though, because I know you're building for the future. I applaud your decision to trade Gerald Wallace. although he was the face of the franchise, he wasn't going to lead your team to big success anytime soon. Nazr was also pretty popular in Charlotte, but I'm glad you gave him a shot at winning big in OKC. looking out for the veterans and giving them a better shot at winning elsewhere is something GM's should do more often. what I'd like to know is why you didn't trade Diaw and Jackson as well. I'll trust you'll trade them soon enough.

unfortunately for you, MJ, your team plays in arguably the toughest division in the league. competing against teams like Miami and Orlando must be a total bitch. speaking of Orlando, I'd suggest you start shedding some serious cap right now. making a move for Dwight in 2012 wouldn't be such a bad idea. I know a guy like him would probably rather play in LA or New York, but anything's possible. I hope you don't underrate big men. I mean, I'm sure you probably don't since you decided to draft Kwame Brown first overall in the 2001 NBA Draft. don't hold that against other centers, please. dominant big men are pretty much a necessity for winning titles in today's game. you never needed one, but no one's like you, Mike.

it's probably been a tough year for you. getting rid of a coaching legend like Larry Brown couldn't have been easy. Silas has done a great job at turning this team around, however. kudos for that hiring.

the reason I'm writing to you Mike is because you're the best. you're my favorite person in the history of the world besides Tupac. I want to see you have success with this Charlotte team. trust me, it's not going to be easy. you'll probably finish last or second to last in your division every year for the next several years. don't let it get you down - that's just part of building a team and being a new owner. it takes time. I know you're used to winning, but this is going to take awhile.

my advice for you is to stockpile draft picks. you did a good of this by getting two first rounders for Wallace. Charlotte isn't exactly the most attractive destination for most NBA free agents, so a guy like you is gonna want to build through the draft. if you collect enough picks over the next few years, you can build a team of young talents. that's what's necessary for the long-term success of your franchise. you have to start from scratch. eventually, you're going to have to trade Jackson and Diaw and look to get young players and/or picks in exchange. being smart in the draft and in the way of trades is the only way this team will experience the success it deserves.

alright, I'll let you get back to your owner-ish duties now. just remember what I said and take my advice. a few years from now, maybe you'll be back in the finals, like the good old days.

The Gerald Wallace trade was meant to clear cap room for CP3...

CP3 is from NC and is good friends with Jordan.

I doubt he signs there, but it's worth a shot.

The Gerald Wallace trade was meant to clear cap room for CP3...

CP3 is from NC and is good friends with Jordan.

I doubt he signs there, but it's worth a shot.

he's with brand jordan too....u might not be too off with that, but i wish larry brown would come back - stupid stephen jackson

Edited by Clutch

he's with brand jordan too....u might not be too off with that, but i wish larry brown would come back - stupid stephen jackson

They'll try to trade Jackson in the offseason too, if they end up with a late lottery pick they could try to package the pick and Jack for an expiring contract.

I mean, $20M over two years isn't bad for a player of his caliber. I could see a team trading for him this summer, then using the last year of his deal as a trade piece. if not, Charlotte should hold onto him. it's not worth a lottery pick just to dump his contract.

If they dump him they can enter the CP3 race, they have a decent shot to sign him.

1. He is from NC

2. He is good friends with Jordan

3. He is part of brand Jordan

but they could trade other players besides Jackson.

They don't really have any other large contracts besides Jackson.

No one wants Carroll, Diop, or Najera's MLE sized contracts.

what about Tyrus Thomas? :)

Somehow forgot his Eddy Curry sized contract, that contract is possibly movable by itself to the right team. Perhaps the Nets if they miss out on Howard in 2011.

lol Dwight becomes a free agent in 2012.

update: oh wow. I was just looking at Charlotte's cap situation on hoopshype. they'll be able to afford Paul without having to trade anyone. they're only on the books for about $30M after next season.

Yeah, but you have to consider the new CBA. Also, I believe the Nets will try to trade for Dwight next season and if they can't they'll go after someone else.

• 5 weeks later...

This was well written, good job Truth... N/A is right. We are setting ourself up to have cap room in 2012 to go after a big name (CP3, DH-12, D-Will) now can the Bobcats sign one of them?.... I don't know man... CP3 will be the only guy we have a shot at i think. Just cause him being from NC and playing college ball at Wake and everything.

MJ has been horrible up until recently... Sadly, trading away G-Dub was his best move he's ever made.... That's depressing lol... I haven't liked 1 single draft pick he has made except D.J. is starting to play well this season.

I pray we either trade our 2, 1st rd picks + fillers for a Center.... Too bad the young, good centers like Bynum and Horford play for teams that don't need picks and Centers like Hibbert and Bogut play for teams that they desperately need a star player so they will most likely not be interested in any trades we may offer...

• Like 1