Worst Defender in the NBA

*Swish*

Steve Nash, Kyle Korver, Aaron Brooks, David Lee, Jose Calderon, Andray Blatche...coin flips. I'm sure I left a few out.

At least, Steve Nash takes a lot of charges so you can't really put him in the discussion. For me it has to be Bargnani or Jose. Both of them are horrible defenders. Jose doesn't do ANYTHING on defense while Bargnani plays sloppy horrible defense. He's not a good rebounder and not a good shot blocker and I could tell you that if he averaged 10 rebounds per game, he would be considered a way better player and would make the Raptors better. I have to say Turkoglu is a pretty bad defender as well

• Owner

At least, Steve Nash takes a lot of charges so you can't really put him in the discussion. For me it has to be Bargnani or Jose. Both of them are horrible defenders. Jose doesn't do ANYTHING on defense while Bargnani plays sloppy horrible defense. He's not a good rebounder and not a good shot blocker and I could tell you that if he averaged 10 rebounds per game, he would be considered a way better player and would make the Raptors better. I have to say Turkoglu is a pretty bad defender as well

Nash is a perennial Hall of Famer when it comes to bad defensive players. When he had a bit of speed, and was a bit tougher (younger, didn't mind contact), he was a halfway decent bad defensive player (if that makes sense), but now he's a bottom-feeder on that list.

Bargnani is another, of course.

Turkoglu isn't a good on-ball defender, but he does show flashes of a high defensive IQ every once in a while. He knows where to lead his man. He defended Kobe well a couple of times in his career, just due to his length and having Dwight Howard in the frontcourt...just really depends on the position he's playing. Still a bad defender, but I wouldn't stick him in the group above.

Gotta add Kevin Martin to the list...I forgot about him.

Nash is a perennial Hall of Famer when it comes to bad defensive players. When he had a bit of speed, and was a bit tougher (younger, didn't mind contact), he was a halfway decent bad defensive player (if that makes sense), but now he's a bottom-feeder on that list.

Bargnani is another, of course.

Turkoglu isn't a good on-ball defender, but he does show flashes of a high defensive IQ every once in a while. He knows where to lead his man. He defended Kobe well a couple of times in his career, just due to his length and having Dwight Howard in the frontcourt...just really depends on the position he's playing. Still a bad defender, but I wouldn't stick him in the group above.

Gotta add Kevin Martin to the list...I forgot about him.

Yeah I always said Steve Nash is a bad defender but he at least takes some charges here and there! That's why I wouldn't name him. Especially before the players you named! Aaron brooks is also a terrible defender! Players who don't know how to play defense should at least sacrifice their body to get some offensive fouls here and there, some stops and have the ball again! Jose and Brooks for example can't do that unfortunately

Steve Nash, Kyle Korver, Aaron Brooks, David Lee, Jose Calderon, Kevin Martin, Andrea Bargnani, Andray Blatche...coin flips. I'm sure I left a few out.

There is no denying that Kevin Martin is a poor defender but he at the very least gives an effort on the defensive end, so if it were up to me I would bounce him off of that list but that is probably my homerism talking. Other than that though I agree with this list.

Richard Jefferson is up there coming from a Spurs perspective. I think other guys that can be in the discussion are Jared Jeffries, Jodie Meeks, Jameer Nelson, and some other random players. JJ Reddick has my actual vote. That man is just awful.

Edited by Shard

No contest: Brian Cook.

Not only is he the worst defender, but he is the most worthless player in the league if his shot isn't falling. There's a reason he got the nickname Puppy Crap....he's softer than puppy crap.

Can't defend, can't block shot, can't board, can't rotate, can't jump, can't run. He's the opposite of a five-tool player.

And he always gives you that fake effort, like jumping to block a shot after the ball has already gone through the net.

Hands down he's the worst defender in the league and most likely the worst player in the league period.

Brian Cook is much worse than anybody on this list.

Nash understands team concepts well and Bargs is a respectable post defender. Overall I wouldn't call anybody on RD's list anything close to even average on defense, but they aren't the worst defenders in the league.

• Owner

Not counting his game against the Raptors earlier in February (which was weird), Cook has shot a combined 3-22 in his last seven games.

To me, Cook not only avoids defense, he doesn't even play...and hasn't, since the 25th...so basically, he's not even in the league, in my opinion.

Far too irrelevant for me to remember during a question like this.

-------

Nash understands team concepts well? You mean defensive rotations and such? He's never proven that. He's never played on a team with a defensive anchor, and all of his opponents seem to light him up. It's extremely easy to lead a player right or left...just switch your feet. However, once you give him one of those options, you have to actually DO something with it. Nash doesn't.

And Bargs is a post defender? There's no way I can agree with that. I'm sure his length bothers the smaller PF's in the league (same with Gasol), but can Bargnani really defend someone like Dwight Howard, Tim Duncan, or Pau Gasol? Those true post players crush him.

Not counting his game against the Raptors earlier in February (which was weird), Cook has shot a combined 3-22 in his last seven games.

To me, Cook not only avoids defense, he doesn't even play...and hasn't, since the 25th...so basically, he's not even in the league, in my opinion.

Far too irrelevant for me to remember during a question like this.

-------

Nash understands team concepts well? You mean defensive rotations and such? He's never proven that. He's never played on a team with a defensive anchor, and all of his opponents seem to light him up. It's extremely easy to lead a player right or left...just switch your feet. However, once you give him one of those options, you have to actually DO something with it. Nash doesn't.

And Bargs is a post defender? There's no way I can agree with that. I'm sure his length bothers the smaller PF's in the league (same with Gasol), but can Bargnani really defend someone like Dwight Howard, Tim Duncan, or Pau Gasol? Those true post players crush him.

Well the topic was worst defender in the NBA, not worst defender in the NBA who doesn't completely suck on offense and rebounding too.

With Nash, I'll use this video since its one that's already on the internet.

http://bballbreakdown.com/2010/12/09/nba-basketball-breakdown-phoenix-suns-at-portland-trailblazers-wearing-nash-out/

The first clip has Nash successfully defending a cross-screen and taking it away.

The second instance of Nash's defense, he correctly splits the defenders after his teammates double Aldridge, but he's too short to contest Batum.

The third clip, Nash completely loses Batum who gets an easy tip-in. If that's a gameplan decision though, Channing Frye has to rotate and box out Batum and J-Rich has to box out Camby. The fact that Nash is upset leads me to believe that Frye was supposed to drop and never did.

The next clip is at around 4:20. Nash gives a lot of space on the perimeter, but he fights through a screen, properly splits assignments in help scenarios, steps up on a Cunningham drive forcing a tough pass and a tough layup through three defenders.

At around 4:50, Nash gets beaten downcourt in transition.

At 6:11, Nash gets beaten completely off the dribble.

At 6:23, Nash correctly rotates to take away Aldridge's mid-range jumper, but he's a bit too high. When the skip pass is made, he's too high to challenge Fernandez' drive, but he does take away the three. Because Hill rotates on time, it forces Fernandez to make a difficult pass to get a shot.

At 6:40 Nash rotates perfectly onto Batum and goes to recover back to his own man, but Dudley assumes that it's he himself who will go back to Nash's man. Nash ends up out of position to check Batum, but that should've been Dudley on Batum.

At 7:35, Nash sinks in to stop the penetration, but he doesn't need to...J-Rich has rotated over. Nash is in a good spot to help against penetration, but he's vulnerable to the defenders he's splitting shooting a three. He can't close on Batum in time and Batum hits a three.

It's not good defense, as Nash still gets beaten one-on-one too easily, but more than half the time, his help was proper.

In a game against the Heat this season where I charted every possession, Nash was scored upon for only 7 points in 9 possessions. He's far from the worst.

Bargnani, if I could find the numbers, is pretty respectable in straight up post ups. His individual defense near the basket isn't terrible. His problems come from positioning, moving his feet, help defense, and guarding the perimeter.

• Owner

Doesn't matter what Nash does against the Heat, dude. Their PG position is almost irrelevant.

Over the years, spanning more than just one game against the Blazers, Nash has been horrible. I can give you one game where Brian Cook went ballistic, and scored 20+ and shot like Ray Allen, played perfectly in the triangle...but that doesn't reflect his total offense.

Videos mean little to nothing, unless we're asking what happened in that particular game. Bryant completely ditched the triangle in the second half of last season a few times, and through the entire game, and was doubled and shot 30%. If I use that video, I can "prove" that Kobe is probably among the worst offensive starters in the NBA.

Bargnani is probably the worst help defender in the NBA but straight man defense he isn't really horrid, not good, but also not horrid. Calderon is like Nash on steroids (in terms of negativity) defensively, he brings nothing to the table, at least Nash will draw the occasional charge. If Jose was at least 'meh' defensively he would actually be a solid player.

If you want to talk about the higher level guys in the league, Derrick Rose's defense is pathetic.

Rose may be one of the five best defensive point guards in the game. Your statement may be the most ridiculous thing to have come out of Charlie Sheen, and there have been many.

• Like 1

Rose may be one of the five best defensive point guards in the game. Your statement may be the most ridiculous thing to have come out of Charlie Sheen, and there have been many.

You can't be serious man. Rose's defense has always been the knock on his game.