Rubio Close To Five-Year Deal With Barcelona

FC Barcelona is close to making Ricky Rubio a five-year offer worth $1.4 million annually with an escape clause allowing him to play in the NBA after two years.

Rubio was paid just $97,000 last season by DKV Joventut.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60875/20090730/rubio_close_to_five_year_deal_with_barcelona/

It's a good thing he has a two year escape clause but its still gay how he made the Wolves waste their 5th pick...and now they gotta wait 2 years to see how he'll pan out..thats if he even comes.

like..why declare for the draft, then stay in europe, like that one Vasquez did with the Magic?

It's a good thing he has a two year escape clause but its still gay how he made the Wolves waste their 5th pick...and now they gotta wait 2 years to see how he'll pan out..thats if he even comes.

like..why declare for the draft, then stay in europe, like that one Vasquez did with the Magic?

So the European teams pay up the butt to keep you in Europe.

Take into account his options, and consider the fact that he made less than $100,000 last year.

1) Play in the NBA, but at the risk of having to pay over $6M of your own money.

2) Wait and play a couple of seasons overseas and then come and play in the NBA without having to pay a huge sum of your money to do so.

If you were in his place, I'd be willing you'd do the same.

Yes, it wasn't the best move declaring for the draft at this point in time (not for the Timberwolves at least), but calling him a stupid European [expletive] is going a bit too far.

So Barcelona is willing to pay off the $6 mil buyout on condition he signs a 5 yr contract with them? WTF?

If Rubio is keen on playing in NBA, he should go with the fastest route, if I were him, I'd say thanks no I'd stick to Joventut for the last two years... and then to NBA.

FC Barcelona is close to making Ricky Rubio a five-year offer worth $1.4 million annually with an escape clause allowing him to play in the NBA after two years.