Are 82 games too many?

The Truth

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

82 games is too many, the games become meaningless. College sports are more fun to watch because every game matters. The NBA should also cut the dead weight in the eastern conference and give the top seed a bye round too, because it is stupid to have a team several games under .500 in the playoffs.

First less games and now less minutes..since when was there such a thing as to much basketball?

just cut down on the damn commercials and it would all be fine. nothing makes you want to stop watching a sporting event more than all of the commercial breaks

82 games is too many, the games become meaningless. College sports are more fun to watch because every game matters. The NBA should also cut the dead weight in the eastern conference and give the top seed a bye round too, because it is stupid to have a team several games under .500 in the playoffs.

the NBA has the best postseason system in sports.

there's no way they should mess with that formula.

First less games and now less minutes..since when was there such a thing as to much basketball?

I'd be cool with keeping it at 82 games if they decreased the minutes. they should decrease the minutes and make it 76 games. there's just something about that number that sticks out.

the NBA has the best postseason system in sports.

there's no way they should mess with that formula.

uhhh...not even close. I'm not even a big baseball fan and I can tell you that the MLB playoffs are much more exciting. Nothing touches the NFL post season either. NBA playoffs took a step back when they expanded the first round. hell, if you count college sports, bowl week and the ncaa tournament don't touch the nba playoffs either. nothing is more enjoyable than kicking back and watching what seems like hundreds of single elimination games simultaneously for a weekend. then it heats up even more

Edited by Lkr

uhhh...not even close. I'm not even a big baseball fan and I can tell you that the MLB playoffs are much more exciting. Nothing touches the NFL post season either. NBA playoffs took a step back when they expanded the first round.

First of all, is excitement worth more than the crowning of a legitimate champion? Because of small samples, baseball is a game where players and teams prove themselves over time. Because of fluky stretches, and the sheer amount of luck that goes in to baseball, it's impossible to say that the team that survives at the end of the postseason is the best team in baseball.

In football, if a team has one bad game, it's eliminated from the postseason. That's an absurdly unfair system. It's the only system that can be reasonably played due to the nature of football's physicality, but let's put it this way, do you think that Patriots team that lost to the Giants loses four games to New York in a seven game series?

What the NBA playoffs do is force teams to prove they're better by beating a number of different teams a number of different times. It champions the mental in that it forces a team to scout and prepare for everything an opponent does, and it champions the physical in that teams must often try and succeed with their pet plays taken away by scouting. With the exception of a handful of fluky circumstances the best team in the NBA playoffs ALWAYS wins.

If someone thinks the NBA playoffs are boring, that's all fine and well and good. You're probably not a hardcore basketball fan, which is fine. But your advice will also carry less weight than an obsessive fan of the game.

• Like 2

Minute/Game reduction would also put the majority of older records out of reach.

It would be damn-near impossible to break Kareem's record with 20 less regular season games, and it would also be near impossible to average 30PPG in 40 minute games

Swish I'm as huge of a basketball freak as anyone, and I'm sure more than most, but general fans don't get into NBA ball because of the long season AND the long-as-butt games. Timeout, 1 minute of play, timeout, free throws, etc.

That sounds about as appealing as Incomplete Pass, 1 yard run, 4 yard pass, punt, adverts

Swish I'm as huge of a basketball freak as anyone, and I'm sure more than most, but general fans don't get into NBA ball because of the long season AND the long-as-butt games. Timeout, 1 minute of play, timeout, free throws, etc.

The NBA has media timeouts at the first dead ball after the 6 minute mark of the 1st/3rd quarters, the 3rd minute mark of the 1st/3rd, the 9 minute mark of the 2/4, 6 minute of the 2/4, and 3 minute of the 2/4. The thing is that if a coach of a certain team calls a timeout, those media timeouts are waved. The only time where the situation above arises is in the last two minutes of games, or if there is a long stretch of basketball that prevents the media timeout for a couple of minutes.

This leads itself to 10-12 commercial pods during a 2.5 hour game, not including halftime. Contrast this with baseball which has 16 or 17 and usually runs a similar length to a basketball game. I've never been disrupted by the flow of an NBA game, only a college game where coaches have four timeouts a half and if they take one, it doesn't invalidate the media timeout. So you will very often have Coach Timeout, stoppage of play on same possession after 20 seconds, Media Timeout, Free Throws.

Edit: I should have said "not including halftime" above.

Edited by Erick Blasco
  • Like 2

The NBA has media timeouts at the first dead ball after the 6 minute mark of the 1st/3rd quarters, the 3rd minute mark of the 1st/3rd, the 9 minute mark of the 2/4, 6 minute of the 2/4, and 3 minute of the 2/4. The thing is that if a coach of a certain team calls a timeout, those media timeouts are waved. The only time where the situation above arises is in the last two minutes of games, or if there is a long stretch of basketball that prevents the media timeout for a couple of minutes.

Did not know this, +1.

I think it'd be interesting to see the NBA add a 1 and 1 bonus.

Agreed.

I certainly do not see why they should reduce the number of games. If the players were totally exhausted in the playoffs then yes I would definitely agree that they should but it's certainly not the case. I watch this game for quite a long time now and the playoffs have always been the best time of the year, the players have always been at their best come playoffs time. So no there's no reason whatsoever why they should change that. In fact the only reason IMO why they would reduce the number of regular season games would be to have more playoffs games. But we definitely have not enough teams for longer playoffs..

So the answer is definitely no for me.

As for 40 minutes games, I'm strongly opposed to that as well. In Europe basketball games last 40 minutes and I've always wanted that to change. The games are clearly too short here. In fact 48 minutes is quite short as well compared to other sports, in soccer the games last 90 minutes for example... Besides Big Penny had another good point, records from the past would be totally out of reach if we did that.

So everything is honestly fine the way it is for me, no reason to change it at all.

In fact 48 minutes is quite short as well compared to other sports, in soccer the games last 90 minutes for example... Besides Big Penny had another good point, records from the past would be totally out of reach if we did that.

So everything is honestly fine the way it is for me, no reason to change it at all.

Isn't soccer on a running clock though? (I could be wrong, I don't know shit about soccer)

Isn't soccer on a running clock though? (I could be wrong, I don't know shit about soccer)

Yeah as Yugonomics said it, it's true that the clock never stops in soccer. However it's important to take in consideration the fact that every time out (and there are definitely not as many as in Bball) is added to the 90 minutes at the end of the game.

Besides a team can't have more than 2 substitutions in soccer. So whatever happens nine players will play at least 90 minutes for sure.

And there are no time-outs in soccer either, they just add in some extra time due to injuries/dead balls but that extra time added is by no means putting back the exact amount of time lost from those situations. Most usually less time is added.

Back on topic, I like 82 games and I like game of 48 minutes. I just can't see a better plan.

And there are no time-outs in soccer either, they just add in some extra time due to injuries/dead balls but that extra time added is by no means putting back the exact amount of time lost from those situations. Most usually less time is added.

Back on topic, I like 82 games and I like game of 48 minutes. I just can't see a better plan.

All I want is a longer All-Star break...

No, it's no more than 3 substitutions in soccer.

Yeah you're right, I'm no longer a fan of this sport but at the time I was still one it was still 2 substitutions... They changed that in the mid 90's. Which is why I was mistaken. I still watch some games from time to time now (only during World Cup though and not all the games...) so I'm aware of this change it's just totally slipped my mind.

The only sport I'm interested in now is basketball.

Yeah I know there are no time outs in soccer, I grew up watching this sport so I know about that more than everybody else here.. I just didn't word that correctly at all my bad. In fact I meant "break of play" instead of time outs.

By the way it's true that it doesn't exactly put back the exact amount of time lost, but certainly not by no means... It's almost the same amount of time that was lost. Besides as I said those breaks of play are always not very long.

So whatever happens at least eight players play 90 minutes per game in soccer.

• Owner

I absolutely hate 40 minute, 5 fouls in college. The scores are too low, and there's less time to make a couple more scoring runs.

As far as an 82-game regular season goes, it's not a big deal to me. I hope they keep it the same. However, that's because I'm a fan and not an athlete. I'm pretty sure most players would rather see a lighter schedule, maybe the same length in days/months go, but having less games with bigger gaps in between (more rest, less wear and tear on body).

But if you ask me, as a fan, I want the 82 games simply because I love watching as many games as I possibly can.

I absolutely hate 40 minute, 5 fouls in college. The scores are too low, and there's less time to make a couple more scoring runs.

As far as an 82-game regular season goes, it's not a big deal to me. I hope they keep it the same. However, that's because I'm a fan and not an athlete. I'm pretty sure most players would rather see a lighter schedule, maybe the same length in days/months go, but having less games with bigger gaps in between (more rest, less wear and tear on body).

But if you ask me, as a fan, I want the 82 games simply because I love watching as many games as I possibly can.

The worst part is the shot clock. Too much time is spent with too little happening, which is one of the reasons I don't like watching soccer.