Random Sixer Thoughts

A place for Sixers tidbits and random thoughts/ideas.

I will start.

Spencer Hawes sucks! If this team can somehow bring in a competent center for next season, they can be a legit contender. Seriously.

Edited by Phightins

The Sixers are a franchise player away from being a contender, not a center. This is the 09-10 Bucks all over again thinking they were Maggette away from being a 50 win team.

Agreed, mostly. I may have been pushing it by saying "contender". Perhaps the better wording would have been "a team with the ability to potentially win a round in the playoffs". Right now they are a nice young team who might make a contender sweat in the first round, but at the end of the day they are a first round exit.

The best part about this Sixer team, compared to Sixer teams of the past half-decade, is that the strengths/weaknesses are clear. Not the huge cluster[expletive] they were a few years ago.

Also not to mention, basically everybody in the rotation besides Brand and Iguodala is 24 or younger (and Iguodala is *only* 27), so I think they differ from the Bucks in that regard. But I do get your comparison.

I don't get why they traded Dalembert. I'd understand if he had multiple years left on his deal, but he was an expiring contract. they should have kept him around longer.

Semi-agreed. I think they waited a year or two too long to trade him. I was one of the few Sammy supporters when he was here, but by the end of last season I was thrilled to see him go. Not saying Hawes is better (Hawes is horrible, as I mentioned), but Sammy was one of the most frustrating players I have ever seen on any of my teams. There was so much potential there that he never lived up to, and there was more than a fair share of games when he gave off the "I just don't give a shit" vibe.

Edited by Phightins

You think so?

Yeah, because they'll either play Boston or Miami in the first round and I think both teams are going to try to make a big first round statement.

The Sixers aren't a bad team, but the Celtics and Heat won't play around come playoff time.

Both teams just seem disinterested right now.

Yeah, because they'll either play Boston or Miami in the first round and I think both teams are going to try to make a big first round statement.

The Sixers aren't a bad team, but the Celtics and Heat won't play around come playoff time.

Both teams just seem disinterested right now.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I don't see them winning a round, but I also see them being the toughest first round matchup of any team 5-8.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I don't see them winning a round, but I also see them being the toughest first round matchup of any team 5-8.

I can see them taking a team 7 games as well and losing, but my gut tells me sweep.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.douglemoine.com/wp-content/uploads/baron_davis_nyt.jpg

I'm sorry, but one playoff series win as an underdog in the past 10 years doesn't prove anything. There has been what, 3 8 seeds to ever beat a 1st seed in NBA history? There have been like 3 of those in the past 10 years in the NHL.

Take the NHL and you can find about 4 examples of bottom seeded teams making runs to the Finals in the past 6 years.

Hell, last season you had a 7 and 8 seed in the Eastern Conference Finals. There is absolutely no way in hell that would happen in the NBA.

That is just how the NBA works. In the NHL or MLB, you can steal a series with hot goaltending or pitching, but in the NBA superior talent will prevail 99% of the time simply because of the nature of the game.

yeah, but that's to be expected when sixteen teams (over half the league) makes the cut.

only eight teams make it in football and baseball. the NBA is a league of boys and men.

And unfortunately, this is why the league is struggling in so many markets. Impossible to legitimately contend without an elite team.