Random Sixer Thoughts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Incredibly productive season. Fun to watch, tons of potential to get better. So glad that the Sixers are finally relevant and fun to watch again. Most of the props go to Doug Collins.

Already pumped up for next year.

Anyone else worried about the Milwaukee Bucks effect? At least in terms of expectations I might be. I don't think the Sixers will be anything more than 1st round fodder with this core, especially with how strong the upper half of the East is.

I'm not, I don't think anyone expects them to be any better than a 7th seed next year with this current roster (6th if Orlando trades Howard). It is clear they are a star away from making any real noise in the post-season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sooo...yeah. At first glance I am not too crazy about this Ellis for Iguodala rumor, if it is just a 1-for-1 swap. Need some time to think about it though.

But I guess I'd rather do this than the Andre/Turkoglu swap that's been talked about.

Edited by Phightins

The Philadelphia 76ers are keying in on Donatas Motiejunas with the No. 16 pick, according to a source. The Sixers want to add size and post depth, and Motiejunas is a 7-footer that can really score well in the post. The Sixers are also hoping that a guy like Jonas Valanciunas or Tristan Thompson could fall to them. Nikola Vucevic could also be a sleeper for the Sixers' pick. There is a chance that Motiejunas and/or Valanciunas could withdraw from the NBA Draft by the June 13 deadline. If this were to happen, the Sixers could explore trading their pick to move later in the first round or possibly even out of the first round.

http://thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=741

• 3 weeks later...

Lol.........who would you have rather had? This draft is a total crapshoot, there was no point wasting a proven player to move up and draft a player who is just as likely to be a bust than a role player (Biyombo etc). I don't know what you were expecting, but this draft was always going to be underwhelming in terms of talent.

Lol.........who would you have rather had? This draft is a total crapshoot, there was no point wasting a proven player to move up and draft a player who is just as likely to be a bust than a role player (Biyombo etc). I don't know what you were expecting, but this draft was always going to be underwhelming in terms of talent.

These are basically my thoughts. When you have the 16th pick in a "weak draft", your options will be limited. The Sixers needed a big, so they went out and got the biggest guy in the draft. Best guy available at their position of need. Totally predictable, sure. But they can't really be faulted for it, IMO. The only way they really could have made a splash yesterday would have been to trade Iguodala for a super high pick (like that Minnesota rumor that was briefly floating around).

I think it's pretty clear that a high pick in this draft would have cost us too much in terms of assets, otherwise I'm 99% sure we would have done it. IMO in a weak draft like this where even the top 3 picks have bust potential (D-Will and Kanter more so), trading an established player like Iguodala plus more is too much of a risk for a team that just made the playoffs.

On another note, I'm starting to like Vucevic a little, and I think if he pans out, he can become a Marc Gasol type player rather than a Spencer Hawes type player. His athletic measurements at the combine are a concern, but the guy is huge and has long arms as well which will compensate some what. He's is far better shape than Hawes is and has a pretty decent sprint speed too.........he'll be more mobile than Spencer, but obviously he'll wont be Dwight Howard. I'll wait to see him play first against some of the more athletic big men in the league before judging how much his athletic liability will hold him back. Apparently we were close to trading Iguodala to move up to 10 because we were scared he might have been gone when our pick came up....combine that with the reaction in the control room from Thorn and Stef after we got him and it's pretty clear that management sees something in this guy.

• 3 weeks later...

Stefanski is rumored to be one of the leading candidates for the Toronto GM job. One of the new owners (Jason Levien) is a former assistant-GM in Sacramento. So it makes sense that he'd want to move into some sort of basketball-operations role here. There's been a lot of speculation that new ownership would want to clean house in the front office, so I guess that's why Ed is looking for other jobs. Wonder if Thorn will be the next to go.

Also, Liberty Ballers pointed out that if Stefanski gets the Toronto job, 2 of our 4 Atlantic Division rivals will be run by ex-Sixer GMs. Not sure how I feel about that.

I'd feel great about it considering how poorly Philly has been run lately.

That is two divisional teams that you can basically write off because of their GMs making terrible decisions and running the team into the ground. :lol:

Although if Stefanski did come to Toronto he would basically just be a figurehead and Colangelo's puppet. Colangelo is way too much of a control freak to not have the final say in any move that Stefanski, or anybody else he decides to bring in, would make.

Partial season tickets: purchased!

Now all I need is for the season to actually happen.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/philsphan1210/Picture1-77.png

Partial season tickets: purchased!

Now all I need is for the season to actually happen.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/philsphan1210/Picture1-77.png

How much and where are you sitting?

If I wanted to sit in a lower bowl for a game against the Lakers how much more is than for the same seats against Minny?

How much and where are you sitting?

If I wanted to sit in a lower bowl for a game against the Lakers how much more is than for the same seats against Minny?

I will be sitting upstairs. $17 a game. Awesome deal. For the past few seasons, I have gotten the same seats for $15 per game, but since this is the "big games" plan, the seats are a bit pricier.

And it would be much, much more for the Laker game. They will be lucky to draw 12 or 13K to the Minny game, even though it is the season opener. Meanwhile, the Lakers game is one of the five or six guaranteed sell outs of the season. Lower bowl tickets are expensive regardless of the game, and you will probably have to get them through the secondary market for the Laker game. So they will be expensive.

$17 for upper bowl games is a good deal considering.

The last time I went to Staples for a Lakers game I payed $50 to sit right in front of Magic Johnson.....not the person but his retired jersey all the way at the top. Last row. And that was against the Wizards.

Well, yeah. The NBA culture is slightly different here than it is in LA, for sure.

• 4 months later...