Dennis Rodman elected to Basketball Hall of Fame

ChosenOne

Former Detroit Pistons Bad Boy Dennis Rodman has been elected into the Basketball Hall of Fame.

The official announcement is expected to be made Monday at the Final Four in Houston. Rodman shared the news the with media before tonight's ceremony to retire his No. 10 at the Palace.

Rodman played in the NBA for the Pistons, Spurs, Bulls, Lakers and Mavericks, in 1986-2000. He won five championships -- two with the Pistons and three with Chicago.

The Pistons drafted him in the second round out of Southeastern Oklahoma State in 1986. At 6-feet-7 and a spindly 210 pounds, he twice was named NBA defensive player of the year and was a two-time All-Star. He also led the league in rebounding four times and in rebounds per game seven times.

His career averages, in 911 NBA games, were 7.3 points and 13.1 rebounds.

DETROIT FREE PRESS

Congratulations! Very happy for him but it's still a shame Reggie Miller didn't make it

Yeah, I couldn't believe that Reggie wasn't even a finalist!!! I've noticed that as I get older it's a lot harder to make the HoF than I thought. When you see all these guys growing up you just think they're automatics because they're a part of your everyday life. Then you realized that there were dozens of guys just like that before your time that everyone thought was amazing too, and these guys are amazing, but to be inducted in to the Hall of Fame you have to be on that next level.

Ok I'm sorry but how is it that someone who was only a 2x NBA All-Star was elected to the Hall of Fame? I don't care how many rings he won, it was all Pippen and Jordan. It's a shame that people like Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady, who each have 7 All Star appearances, might not even make it to the Hall of Fame because of people like this

Ok I'm sorry but how is it that someone who was only a 2x NBA All-Star was elected to the Hall of Fame? I don't care how many rings he won, it was all Pippen and Jordan. It's a shame that people like Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady, who each have 7 All Star appearances, might not even make it to the Hall of Fame because of people like this

So you are judging HOF qualifications solely on ASG selections? lol.

Rodman was an extraordinary defender and rebounder, one of the greatest of all-time for his size imo.

So you are judging HOF qualifications solely on ASG selections? lol.

Rodman was an extraordinary defender and rebounder, one of the greatest of all-time for his size imo.

Not just on ASG selections, but you would think that one of the best defenders of all time would have more All Star appearances, let alone All-NBA selections

Rodman may have been a beast at defense, but unless the HOF is for defense only, he doesn't deserve to be in. At all

Not just on ASG selections, but you would think that one of the best defenders of all time would have more All Star appearances, let alone All-NBA selections

Rodman may have been a beast at defense, but unless the HOF is for defense only, he doesn't deserve to be in. At all

Haha. So you want VC and Tmac to be in the HOF... you do realize they never played a lick of D right? If the HOF isn't for defense only than it damn sure shouldn't be offense only. Correct?

Rodman's accomplishments speak for themselves:

5× NBA Champion (1989–1990, 1996–1998)

2× NBA Defensive Player of the Year (1990–1991)

2× NBA All-Star (1990, 1992)

2× All-NBA Third Team (1992, 1995)

7× All-Defensive First Team (1989–1993, 1995–1996)

All-Defensive Second Team (1994)

7× NBA rebounding champion (1992–1998)

• Like 3

To say that Rodman doesn't deserve to be in the HoF is pretty bad. He was the Bulls' defensive anchor, one of the best rebounders to ever play the game and was a guy you didn't want to see guarding you at all. You can't say players like TMac and Vinsanity deserve to be in the Hall more than Rodman. He clearly deserves it without a doubt in my opinion.

Rodman never played offense though. And I doubt he gets any championship rings without Pippen or Jordan

And he was always getting ejected from games and losing his cool. Not the type of mentality one would expect from a Hall of Famer, yes?

Take away Rodman, the Bulls were still a championship caliber team year in and year out. Take away Pippen and Jordan, the Bulls probably don't even make the playoffs

Edited by Mentch

I agree with all of you guys on different aspects. First off, I don't think Rodman should be in the Hall of Fame. Do you see a guy like Bruce Bowen or Ben Wallace making it? On the other hand, I don't think T-Mac or VC are Hall of Famers either. Rodman's situation is weird, cause he won a lot but he was never that guy.

Rodman never played offense though. And I doubt he gets any championship rings without Pippen or Jordan

And he was always getting ejected from games and losing his cool. Not the type of mentality one would expect from a Hall of Famer, yes?

Take away Rodman, the Bulls were still a championship caliber team year in and year out. Take away Pippen and Jordan, the Bulls probably don't even make the playoffs

I lol'd. If you take Rodman off those teams imo they would have not have won 3 straight finals even with Pippen and Jordan. Rebounding and defense are a HUGE part of the game. He grabbed as many offensive rebounds as their second best rebounder (jordan) did total on both sides of the floor. He played nearly the whole game along with Jordan and Pippen as all three of them average 35+ minutes a game. On the offensive end he obviously didn't score alot because he didnt get the opportunities that others got. With Jordan taking 23 shots per game, Pippen taking 16 shots per game, Kukoc and Longley taking 9-10 shots per game where was he suppose to get his up? The fact is he didn't have to score for them.

Also if you think Jordan, Rodman, Kukoc, Kerr, Harper, Longley or Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc, Kerr, Harper, Longley would not make the playoffs you sir are sadly mistaken.

I agree with all of you guys on different aspects. First off, I don't think Rodman should be in the Hall of Fame. Do you see a guy like Bruce Bowen or Ben Wallace making it? On the other hand, I don't think T-Mac or VC are Hall of Famers either. Rodman's situation is weird, cause he won a lot but he was never that guy.

Are you really are putting Bowen in the same category as Ben and Rodman?

Yeah Rodman was never the guy for the Bulls but if you think he was not planned for night in and night out you are dead wrong. With the case of Ben Wallace you can make a very strong case that he should be in there.

2004 Detroit Pistons NBA Champions

2001-02 NBA Defensive Player of the Year

2002-03 NBA Defensive Player of the Year

2004-05 NBA Defensive Player of the Year

2005-06 NBA Defensive Player of the Year

2001-02 NBA Leading Rebounder

2002-03 NBA Leading Rebounder

2001-02 NBA Leading Blocker

2003 NBA All Star

2004 NBA All Star

2005 NBA All Star

2006 NBA All Star

Should he be put in? I am really not sure but he definitely has the resume for it.

Dennis Rodman is definitely a Hall of Famer.

First of all the All Star selections are totally irrelevant here. As a matter of fact the people who decide who will get an NBA award are not necessarily right... For example we all know that Aldridge had an All Star year this season. Yet fans and coaches decided not to make him an All Star. Sure the other players deserved to be All Star as well but no more than LMA IMO. Many players would have deserved to be All Star this year but the fact is that they couldn't all be picked. Aldridge was one of the players who were not picked. But all of us know that he would have definitely deserved it. Yet it's one less All Star selection for him and in the future, people who didn't watch the game this year will probably think that LaMarcus wasn't All Star because he didn't deserve it... Things are not always as simple as they might seem.

The fact is that Rodman would DEFINITELY have deserved to be All Star way more often. So again the All Star selections mean nothing at all. Besides it's very important to know that Rodman was quite hated and blacklisted at the time. Because of his behavior... So he had no chance to be picked in the first place. But everyone who watched the 90's know that he should have been picked every year between 92 (his last All Star selection) and 98. Everyone was outraged that he was not picked during that time. And knew that he was an All Star indeed. So that's at least 6 more All Star selections...

Then it's certainly true that Rodman wouldn't have won in Chicago without Pip and Jordan. But would Pip and Jordan have won without him ? I certainly do not think so. It's quite simple : except from Rodman all the major players from the 96 team were already there in 95. Now of course Jordan had just come back in 95 but still, when we look at it his stats were already as good as it was the following years IN THE PLAYOFFS. In fact his FG% was even better than it was the following years... Yet the Bulls lost against the Magic in 6 games. You add Rodman to that team and they win three rings in a row. This DEFINITELY shows the importance of Rodman as a Bull.

Furthermore in the 96 Finals Rodman was absolutely unbelievable. I don't think that any player in the history of the game had such an incredible defensive performance as he had in those Finals (except maybe Russell...).

George Karl even said that it was ONLY because of Rodman that the Sonics lost games 2 and 6. Rodman grabbed 11 offensive rebounds in each of these two games which tied an NBA Finals records. As a matter of fact only Elvin Hayes also grabbed 11 offensive rebounds in one Finals game in 79. Rodman did it twice in the same Finals... And he got Kemp completely out of the game both times.

Many people think that he should have been Finals MVP. I am one of them. Actually I think that he and Jordan should have been co-MVP and if Rodman alone was Finals MVP I have to say that it would have been fine by me.

Then let's not forget that Rodman didn't play in Chicago all of his career and had already showed who he was in Detroit and San Antonio. Rodman won two rings with the Pistons. And at the time when the Bad Boys were the best team in the league only three players were All Stars, they were Thomas, Dumars and... yes Dennis Rodman (that was before he was considered as "crazy" and so still had a chance to be All Star...). This clearly shows how important Rodman was to that team (although it was quite obvious how important he was for the people who watched some Bad Boys games...).

Now it is true that Rodman was not as "gifted", especially offensively, as other players, but that doesn't mean that he was not as important to his team than those players were to theirs...

For example I had a debate with another poster once who was trying to convince me that the Bulls would have been better with Webber instead of Rodman as Webber was definitely a better player overall. Something that I highly disagreed with because even if Rodman was not as "good" as Webber I doubt that Webber would have done the same things that Rodman did. Rodman was not the superstar that C-Webb was, he couldn't do all the things that C-Webb could do, that is true, but the fact remains that he was the best at what he did best. That's why that, even if Webber would have done a lot of things that Rodman couldn't do, especially offensively of course, he would not have been able to be as efficient defensively and would not have gotten as much rebounds. Let's not forget about all the little things that Rodman did to help his team to win, like entering his opponents mind (as I already mentioned it earlier) to destabilize them.

Rodman's impact on his team was always fantastic, better than a lot of players who were more "gifted" than him and that's what matters the most.

Besides his defense definitely makes up for his lack of offense IMO, he's even arguably the best defender in NBA history (the only player that can be considered as better is Bill Russell IMO). And he's probably the only player in the NBA history who could guard any player, from point guard to center, just as efficiently.

Dennis Rodman definitely deserves to be Hall of Famer, this is not arguable, and I'm glad that he's finally been elected.

Edited by Oliver P
  • Like 2