OTR Houston Rockets Roundtable: post you questions

Dash

Something I thought we should do to wrap up the season. Basically what we're going to do is leave this topic open for members to post questions about the Rockets (how was our season, yao, what to do in the offseason, etc) and then after a few days we make our replies/analysis and then put it altogether in an article (its kind of like the KIR if you're looking for a comparison).

Ask as many questions as you like and try to keep them serious. Currently me, chosen one, and htown are on the roundtable, yugo and htownborn haven't made a reply to me yet but are welcome to join if they are interested.

Fire away!

Here's a couple:

1. What player is most valuable to you guys in FA this year? Why?

2. Even though the Rockets didn't make the playoffs, do you guys think this team is headed in the right direction?

3. If you were the GM, what changes would you make to the coaching staff / roster in the offseason? (Trades, resignings, firings, etc.)

Edited by Prodigy

1) What's your take on the Rockets' wing situation coming up. There are a lot of talented players. How do you want to see wing minutes divvied up?

2) With Shane Battier gone, and Yao perpetually hurt, who would you say is the team's leader?

3) Kyle Lowry has emerged as, possibly, the best defensive point guard in the NBA. Do you keep him as a starter?

4) Kevin Martin is hyper-efficient, soft, and defenseless. Where does he stand in your opinion?

5) As a Rockies fan myself, would you say that for the Rockets, Rocktober is the best month of the year?

• 4 weeks later...

Should Rockets Resign Yao? No save the cap and look elsewhere

Should Rockets trade Scola? Depends on FA and Draft if they sign David West then yea

Who should Rockets Draft?

1st Round Pick 14

PF Tristan Thompson (+) Athletic PF with scoring skills and good defensively 7"2 wing span long arms (-) Lacks consistency shorter PF 6"8 need to keep getting stronger

C/PF Donatas Motiejunas:(+) Can play C/PF can score the ball right now (-) Lacks defense and needs to bulk up

SF/PF Tobias Harris (+) Young talented skilled big man can handle the ball and shoot from outside (-) Still raw and needs to beef up

PF Kenneth Faried (+) Rebounding monster non stop motor with great leaping ability and defender (-) unpolished offensively

PG/SG Jimmer Fredette (+) Can flat out shoot it from real deep, good at getting to basket and is a better passer then given credit for (-) Lacks explosiveness and defensive intensity

1st Round Pick 23

SG/SF Tyler Honeycutt 6"8 can play multiple positions can shoot it athletic can defend and his best attribute unselfish passer (-) Weak needs weight room and lacks consistency

PG Josh Selby (+) good athletic PG who can score and distribute (-) not consistent work on jump shot

PG/SG Darius Morris (+) Good PG skills can shoot when open defend and unselfish player (-) Lacks Athleticism one year wonder in college

2nd Round Pick 8

PF/C JaJuan Johnson (+) Long Athletic big man good shot blocker (-) lacks polished game

PF Justin Harper (+) Can shoot the three and 15 footers stretch 4 roll player (-) lacks physical game

PG Shelvin Mack (+) good PG can score distribute defend (-) not great athlete

C/PF Jeremy Tyler (+) Long athletic big man (-) lacked playing time over seas attitude raw

SG/SF/PG DeAndre Liggins (+) good young prospect who can play all 3 wing positions athletic can handle rock defend and shoot (-) inconsistent needs to bulk up some tiny frame may need to find true position

SF Chandler Parsons (+) does everything good rebound shoot defend (-) does nothing great

SG/SFScotty Hopson (+) good SG/SF prospect improved offensive game past season (-) not a pure shooter and raw offensively

SF/PF Malcolm Thomas (+) Long athletic can (-) raw needs to put on weight to play PF in the league

What are the Rockets Top 3 needs this off season?

Center Chuck Hays is a good player but is not a starter.

Small Forward The Rockets need to find a legit starter at SF this off season via Draft FA or trade. Draft weak FA SF weak so FML.

Point Guard Lowry is a good PG but he is not a great shooter or score. The Rockets need a scoring PG to come off the bench and stretch the Defense.

What Free Agents Should Rockets Target and Why?

* Who I think they have best chance to Get

My Rockets FA Big Board:

SF Carron Butler All Star Caliber player but likely to resign with Mavs

PF David West is an All Star Caliber player who would make Scola Expendable and trade bait *

C Marc Gosol Came into his own in play offs probably resign with Grizz

C Nene if he opts out All Star Center

C De Jordan 6"11 Athletic C who can finish inside and is a hometown boy tired of splitting time with Kaman *

C Tyson Chandler Great Defender but is likely to resign with Mavs

PG J.J. Barea is a FA and might be a top flight PG for years to come if he doesn't resign with Dallas

C Sam Dalembert Defensive minded starting C

SG Arron Affalo young player who can score the ball Nuggets will probably match any offers

SG/SF Wilson Chandler good wing player *

C Spencer Hawes not a bad big C

SF Jason Kopono can shoot the ball and stretch Defense *

PG/SG Leandro Barbosa scoring combo Guard

SF Josh Howard decent SF

Wish List

David West De Jordan or Nene

JJ Barea

Arron Affalo or Wilson Chandler

Rockets Fan off season wish list?

FA Wish List

David West De Jordan or Nene

JJ Barea

Arron Affalo or Wilson Chandler

Draft Wish List

1st round pick 1 Hope for any of these: C/PF Donatas Motiejunas,SF/PF Tobais Harris,PF Tristen Thompson, and PG/SG Jimmer Fredette

1st round pick 2 SG/SF Tyler Honeycutt PF Ken Farried will be gone

2nd round pick 1 Justin Harper if he is available SF/SG/PG Deandre Liggins Depends on who we get in first round look for a roll player who can help off the bench rebounder, defender, or shooter

1) What's your take on the Rockets' wing situation coming up. There are a lot of talented players. How do you want to see wing minutes divvied up?

Lowry solid PG K-Mart is a great scorer horrific defender Buddinger is athletic but is a good bench player at best Terrence Williams is a good player who I agree does need more playing time. I see K-Mart as a solidified starter at SG but I don't see any starting SF on the Rockets roster just decent ones in T Williams and Budinger. PG Lowry can defend and distribute but we need a shooting PG to spread D.

2) With Shane Battier gone, and Yao perpetually hurt, who would you say is the team's leader?

K-Mart best player maybe not a leader Scola IDK if they have a leader! Could Pat Patterson develop into a leader?Actually the leader this season may have been Chuck.

3) Kyle Lowry has emerged as, possibly, the best defensive point guard in the NBA. Do you keep him as a starter?

Lowry is not the best defensive PG, but he is very good on the defensive side of the ball. I think Lowry is a good starter,but not a great one so he will do for now. Rockets need to find a shooting PG like I stated previously to come in and spread D witch Lowry cant do.

4) Kevin Martin is hyper-efficient, soft, and defenseless. Where does he stand in your opinion?

He can score in bunches and he is soft as cotton! I like him cause he is the best scorer on the team,but I am a Defensive minded guy who likes do it all players he is not one! So IDK what Rockets should do with that. Can you build around him? Is K-Mart a "Winner"?

5) As a Rockies fan myself, would you say that for the Rockets, Rocktober is the best month of the year? Na Football season lol

I am pretty fired up to see what Rockets do in off season Check my post

Here's a couple:

1. What player is most valuable to you guys in FA this year? Why?

David West All star PF

De Jordan athletic C we need badly please sign this guy H-Town

JJ Barea Hope we still him from Mavs

Arron Affalo I love this kids overall game can score it from anywhere and is a better Defender then K-Mart

Check my Rockets FA wish List

2. Even though the Rockets didn't make the playoffs, do you guys think this team is headed in the right direction?

I will let you know after this off season, but yea we are always good I would like to compete for the ship at some point though. Maybe management should call up Hakeem! LOL

3. If you were the GM, what changes would you make to the coaching staff / roster in the offseason? (Trades, resignings, firings, etc.)

Check My Rockets off season and other team offseason threads

Rocket Don't need to start over just get fresh legs.

What should the Rockets do Via FA Draft and what are the teams top 3 needs.

My Rockets off season

Rockets Top 3 Needs

C:Chuck Hays does what he can, but he is not a starter he would serve Rockets better off bench

SF:Rockets need to address this need in the off season Budinger is ok, they need an offensive threat or lock down defender their to complement the Kevin Martin

Shooting PG/SG: Rockets need to get a combo guard to come off bench, hit the three and spread out defense

Resign Players:

Don't resign Yao or at least don't over pay to keep him

Sign Dragic back only if you can't find a scoring point guard

Sign Chuck back he is a gritty team player

Maybes

Brad Miller never can have to many bigs

Free Agents: Land one or more of these players (3)

FA Big Board

Caron Butler

David West

Deandre Jordan

Marc Gasol

Nene

Wilson Chandler

Arron Affalo

Spencer Hawes

Glen Davis

JJ Berea

Josh Howard

Kelenna Azubuike

Josh McRoberts

If you land a good big man you then make Scola expendable (trade)

I think we push for De Jordan Rockets never pull trigger on free agents

and why not still JJ Berea from rival Mavs and sign Wilson Chandler if Cap allows

Do the Rockets take Best Available or Draft for needs?

1st pick Donatas Motiejunas Can play C/PF/SF sweet stroke from outside but can also bang needs to work on D though Alt:Jimmer Fredette Tobias Harris

2nd pick Tyler Honeycutt SG/SF tall, rangy athletic, and he is skilled Alt: Darius Morris Kenneth Faried

Second Round Deandre Liggins JaJaun Johnson or Justin Harper since Darius Moore is climbing the draft boards

Trade Scola to Portland for Rudy Fernandez and Luke Babbit we get younger more athletic

Trade K-Mart and Budinger for Arron Affalo Chanlder replaced Budinger and Affalo is a better defender and will be a good scorer

Head Coach Kevin McHale

2012 Roster

STARTERS

PG JJ Berea FA

SG Arron Affalo Trade

SF Wilson Chandler FA

PF Pat Patterson

C De Jordan FA

BENCH

PG Kyle Lowry

SF Terrence Williams

C/PF Donatas Motiejunas Draft

SG Courtney Lee

SF Rudy Fernandez Trade

SG/SF Tyler Honeycutt Draft

C Chuck Hayes

C/PF Jordan Hill

PF Justin Harper Draft

PF/SF Luke Babbit Trade

Would you trade K-Mart if right deal came along?

Does Patterson Make Scola Trade Bait?

Will the Rockets sign Deandre Jordan?

What FA do you want in H-Town next season?

Should Rockets make any trades this off season? If so who do you want to see them go after and who do you want to see go.

Who are the Rockets core guys that are untouchable this off season? If you think they have any.

What should we do with Yao?

Is Lowry the answer at the Point?

Who do you want to be the Rockets head coach in 2012?

With the 14th pick in he 2011 draft the Rockets select ?

With the 23rd pick in the 2011 draft the Rockets select?

How many Free Agents to Rockets sign?

Is Chase Budinger or Terrence Williams the answer at SF?

Which Rocket Players would you like to see out of Houston next season and why?

Something I thought we should do to wrap up the season. Basically what we're going to do is leave this topic open for members to post questions about the Rockets (how was our season, yao, what to do in the offseason, etc) and then after a few days we make our replies/analysis and then put it altogether in an article (its kind of like the KIR if you're looking for a comparison).

Ask as many questions as you like and try to keep them serious. Currently me, chosen one, and htown are on the roundtable, yugo and htownborn haven't made a reply to me yet but are welcome to join if they are interested.

Fire away!

I am down with the Rockets round table lets keep the questions coming!

5) As a Rockies fan myself, would you say that for the Rockets, Rocktober is the best month of the year?

Great questions keep them coming!