Brandon Roy frustrated with reduced role

DALLAS – The doors to the American Airlines Center’s visiting locker room opened late Tuesday, and Portland Trail Blazers forward Gerald Wallace(notes) soon found himself crowded by reporters. After team officials said LaMarcus Aldridge(notes) would answer questions in the arena’s news conference room, the media herd then moved from Wallace to Andre Miller(notes). No one approached Brandon Roy(notes), the Blazers’ three-time All-Star guard and co-captain, who dressed quietly before slowly walking out of the locker room without a single question posed to him.

A little more than a year ago Roy was the face of the Blazers, the man Portland hoped would someday carry the franchise back to the NBA Finals. Never, however, has Roy looked so small in stature than Tuesday night, when he played just eight minutes and went scoreless in the Blazers’ 101-89 loss to the Dallas Mavericks. With the Blazers trailing the Mavericks 2-0 in the first-round series, Roy has been reduced to a bit player – a fact he’s struggling to accept.

“I always try to find positives out of situations, but this is a tough one to find something,” Roy said in the hallway outside the Blazers’ locker room.

Roy’s frustration wasn’t hard to see. His eyes looked watery. The transformation from star to role player – brought on by career-threatening knee injuries – has been an emotional one.

Roy’s minutes and production have dropped since his return. His starting job now belongs to Wesley Matthews(notes), a free-agent signee from the Utah Jazz last summer. Roy played 26 minutes in the Blazers’ Game 1 loss to the Mavericks, but missed all but one of his seven shots. In Game 2, he entered with 2:36 left in the first quarter, didn’t play in the third quarter and missed his lone shot as well as two free throws. Roy said his small role in Game 2 was “the lowest” in a long list of frustrating games since his return.

Roy said he isn’t hurt anymore, feels strong and can still provide some intangibles to the Blazers. But his lack of playing time has affected his rhythm, he said. Roy hasn’t discussed the issue with head coach Nate McMillan, who said he didn’t play Roy much in Game 2 because he thought the Blazers’ starters were performing well while Roy was struggling with the pressure the Mavericks guards were applying.

“I thought I’d get more of a chance coming back, but at the same time I’m never going to complain,” Roy said. “I’m going to try to work and just try to play.

“I’m not going to lie: It’s hard. My pride is a little scarred. It’s difficult sitting on the bench.”

Roy’s teammates have noticed.

“There was one time where he said to me that [reserve guard] Patty Mills(notes) got in the game before him,” Camby said. “I know it’s weighing on him, and it’s definitely frustrating.”

Roy believes he’ll be able to regain much of his athleticism in the offseason. But if he doesn’t? Would he consider walking away?

“I can’t deal with how it’s going now next year,” Roy said. “I can’t deal with a full season of how I’m doing now. It just messes with you because it’s draining. It drains you. But again, these guys are my teammates and I got to support them.

“But mentally, it’s tough. It’s tougher then people think.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-spears_blazers_roy_emotional_dallas_loss_042011

Edited by Dash Zindabad

Unfortunately, he wouldn't of make a big difference. He's not playing HARD since his knee problems because he's obviously scared to occur another one. Hopefully, he'll play more than 8 minutes though. 8 minutes is a shame for such a good player

Unfortunately, he wouldn't of make a big difference. He's not playing HARD since his knee problems because he's obviously scared to occur another one. Hopefully, he'll play more than 8 minutes though. 8 minutes is a shame for such a good player

I definitely think Nate needs to play Roy more. A lineup of Miller, Roy, Wallace, Aldridge, and Camby with Batum, Rudy, Matthews, and Patty off the bench would be great for us. It's time for Nate to trust Roy now, because he would have made a difference, he would have gotten double teamed a bit, opened up the floor for our shooters in Rudy and Wesley...