Is the Howard Era in Orlando Over?

With the Magic taking yet another step back this season and getting eliminated by the Hawks in the first round, do you think this is the final time we see Howard in an Orlando Magic uniform?

The team has no young talent on its roster, is loaded with terrible contracts and filled with aging veterans who are continung getting worse as each season goes on. They have pretty much no way to inject the team with any sort of legitimate game breaking talent, which is what they desperately need in order to compete in the East, and I can't see Howard being too thrilled with the future of this team. His contract is up after next season and Smith and company must realize that he will not sign an extension with them, so will they move him this summer to actually get some value for him?

Simply put, this team is a complete mess and outside of unweilding loyalty, I can't see any reason for him to stick around on this sinking ship.

I think he will want out, and we'll be faced with another Melo-drama up until the trade deadline. But I expect them to shop him hard, and will probably end up with some great young talent in return. Not to mention, I see Otis Smith packaging Dwight with one of his bad contracts (Hedo or Arenas probably).

• Owner

http://i54.tinypic.com/eb5tmp.jpg

DisneyWorld vs. Disneyland feud could go DefCon1: Sources say DHoward has eye on Lakers if Magic don't win a title in next 2 years

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_bianchi/2011/04/dwight-howard-magic-rick-bucher-espn.html

PLEASE HAPPEN.

See you in Brooklyn Dwight.

Lol No.

I think he's either going to stay put, and try to convince CP3 to make his way to ORL or he's going to LA. Don't really see him going to Brooklyn, team is wack around him and I'm not sure he'll want to play for the second tier franchise in the Nets.

Lol No.

I think he's either going to stay put, and try to convince CP3 to make his way to ORL or he's going to LA. Don't really see him going to Brooklyn, team is wack around him and I'm not sure he'll want to play for the second tier franchise in the Nets.

Team is whack around him? The Nets have a ton of money to spend this offseason, along with having Deron Williams and some solid role players.

I still think that if the Lakers are willing to spend the money that it is pretty much a guarantee that he will land in LA. No team, or at least no team that Howard would be interested in joining, would be able to offer a more appealing package to Orlando than something centered around Bynum and a bunch of draft picks. Not only will Howard play for a storied franchise, play in a city that is perfect for his whole acting aspirations, but he will become the face of the Lakers in a few years when Kobe decides to call it quits, which will only increase his fame even more.

Bynum continuing to play well (at least looking at the numbers as I haven't really watched much of the playoffs so far) for the rest of the playoffs would only make this more of a possibility as a great playoffs that helps the Lakers win their third straight championship will only up his value and could easily make teams forget about the chronic injury problems that plauge him.

But yea, even if he doesn't end up in LA like I expect, I don't see him sticking around in Orlando for much longer.

Lol No.

Problem with this thought process is how exactly do the Magic get Paul in Orlando? They aren't going to be able to sign him as a free agent with contracts like Arenas, Turkoglu, Redick, Nelson and Duhon on the roster. I see absolutely no incentive for the Hornets to trade him to the Magic considering they literally have no young talent worth trading for and any draft picks that they get are going to be late 1sts with Howard and Paul on the same team.

I have no doubts that getting Paul could convince Howard to stay in Orlando, but I see no way in which Paul actually ends up in Orlando considering the situation that the Magic of put themselves in financially and talent wise.

Howard's contract runs through 2012-2013 season, but he can opt out before that final season.

In summer, Magic will try to get Howard to sign extension, IF he refuses, then this is Melo's situation all over again. Magic don't want to go to summer of 2012 not getting commitment from Dwight, and then he opts out and walks. They get nothing in return.

If DH12 refuses extension this summer, I expect a strong possibility Magic are gonna trade him before or during 2011-2012 season (whenever it starts). They'll trade him than taking risk of losing him for nothing, exactly the same situation Nuggets had with Melo.

---

We Nugz have some free agents, but I expect them to resign all (except KMart)... we will have (to offer Magic): Nene, Gallo, Chandler, Felton, J.R.

Our untouchable list: Ty, Afflalo, Mozgov. If Magic insist on either Afflalo or Mozgov, we have to give in.

Sorry everyone, DH12 is going to Nuggets, because the Magic are going to have to trade him, and noone can beat our package.

Edited by Multi-Billionaire

You're telling me the Magic would rather have Bynum over Lopez? Hilarious. Bynum can't even stay healthy as a God damn role player in LA, and has pretty manageable minutes as well there, and he is supposed to be a key cog in Orlando? Dwight will be a Net some time next year, or maybe even this summer. LA doesn't have the cap/short term contracts to be willing to take on Arenas or Hedo like the Nets could, and Brook is a better asset, not player, but asset, than Bynum. And the Nets picks are definitely more valuable than some LA picks with Dwight there. I see no way Orlando deals him to LA, unless Dwight is a complete douche like Melo was, and forces his way to LA, but he has no reason to, when he can be the 1A/1B with Deron in New Jersey.

Contract Extension On Table For Howard

Orlando Magic President of Basketball Operations Otis Smith said Friday that the organization has offered superstar center Dwight Howard a contract extension, but Howard said he hasn't seen it.

"The extension is on the table," Smith said.

That extension is believed to be for two seasons.

Howard can become a free agent following the 2011-12 season.

Smith, coach Stan Van Gundy and Magic players were available to speak to the media Friday, about 15 hours after they were eliminated in the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs by the Atlanta Hawks.

When asked about the contract extension Smith referred to, Howard responded, "I haven't seen a contract."

When a reporter followed up, Howard said, "I haven't seen it."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-dwight-howard-magic-contract-0430-20110429,0,6379604.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+orlandosentinel%2Fsports%2Fbasketball%2Fmagic+%28OrlandoSentinel.co

You're telling me the Magic would rather have Bynum over Lopez? Hilarious. Bynum can't even stay healthy as a God damn role player in LA, and has pretty manageable minutes as well there, and he is supposed to be a key cog in Orlando? Dwight will be a Net some time next year, or maybe even this summer. LA doesn't have the cap/short term contracts to be willing to take on Arenas or Hedo like the Nets could, and Brook is a better asset, not player, but asset, than Bynum. And the Nets picks are definitely more valuable than some LA picks with Dwight there. I see no way Orlando deals him to LA, unless Dwight is a complete douche like Melo was, and forces his way to LA, but he has no reason to, when he can be the 1A/1B with Deron in New Jersey.

I would. I really don't see how it is hilarious to think that, either. Its not like Lopez is anything special anyways. The only hilarious thing in ths thread is hearing how nobody can come close to matching Denver's package for Howard.

If you are losing Dwight, you might as well swing for the fences and go after a guy who has the potential to be a near franchise player and multiple time All-Star. I wouldn't want a guy who, at best, is going to be a decent 2nd option who has no real impact anywhere other than scoring.

Sure Lopez is the safer option as he doesn't have injury problems, but if I'm dealing my franchise player I am going to go for broke and that is Bynum. Even if he is a huge bust for you and gets injured, you are looking at a top draft pick for the next couple of years and you just cut ties with him when his contract expires or possibly sign him to a cheap one or two deal.

I can understand your thought process in taking Lopez over Bynum, but if I was running a team I wouldn't go the safe route, which Lopez s. Give me the potential dominant big on both ends of the floor over the solid scoring big man who does little else, even if the odds of Bynum reaching that level are very remote.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Team is whack around him? The Nets have a ton of money to spend this offseason, along with having Deron Williams and some solid role players.

Yeah they have money; but I was simply stating as of now. The team is pretty wack. Deron Williams and Dwight Howard aren't getting you a championship right away. They're far away from it. Just as Amar'e, Billups, and Melo aren't getting you anywhere near a championship either for the Knicks. The Nets have a ton of holes to fill in from the 2-3-4 in the starting lineup to coming up with a formidable bench for them to really make it look appealing to go to NY/NJ's second market team. LA, as of now, still looks more appealing I'd have to think. That COULD change with the Nets spending their money intelligently.

Problem with this thought process is how exactly do the Magic get Paul in Orlando? They aren't going to be able to sign him as a free agent with contracts like Arenas, Turkoglu, Redick, Nelson and Duhon on the roster. I see absolutely no incentive for the Hornets to trade him to the Magic considering they literally have no young talent worth trading for and any draft picks that they get are going to be late 1sts with Howard and Paul on the same team.

I have no doubts that getting Paul could convince Howard to stay in Orlando, but I see no way in which Paul actually ends up in Orlando considering the situation that the Magic of put themselves in financially and talent wise.

Yeah, IMO, the Magic's GM has done a pretty horrific job. Arenas & Turkoglu are pretty bad, can we just face the facts? At this point in their careers, they add nothing to a team. Redick's a decent role player, and Duhon is generally awful as well.